6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 10:46 AM by justmonk

Adobe Printer Not Converting psd to pdf

danhinze

I have a Photoshop CS4 Extended user who is attempting to print a psd file to her Adobe pdf printer using the following page set up settings:

• Adobe PDF page size 22"x34",
      • print quality set to 4000dpi,
      • Truetype as "download as softfont".

The user gets as far as selecting the page setup settings in the print dialoge box and clicking okay to print but the "save as file location" dialoge never appears. However, she is able to save/print/convert from psd to pdf with the same settings except for the page size being 11x17.

User stated that this is a common work flow for her but started running into trouble late last week.

Troubleshooting Steps

All Adobe PS updates applied

Windows OS updates applied

Installed Adobe PDF Converter printer on a local port - With this printer, the file goes through all the usual steps and is able to execute the file conversion process even showing the progress bar but the file never appears in the selected location. Further troubleshooting steps included changing the save file to location settings from Adobe Prompt to a folder on the desktop but result was the same.

Hardware and Software Specs

• Win 7 pro 64 bit
      • CS4 Extended
      • Adobe Acrobat XI Standard
        • 1. Re: Adobe Printer Not Converting psd to pdf
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You simply reach/ exceed the maximum of what any Adobe tool allows - effective 200" in either direction at 300 DPI. Simply do the math. What you see is perfectly logical. 4000 DPI seems slightly insane for any use case I can think of, especially at those sizes. You wouldn't need that resolution to print a 100x100m mural, but well, I don't know what you need it for.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Adobe Printer Not Converting psd to pdf
            danhinze Level 1

Thanks for your reply Mylenium. I passed on your comments and the user reported back that even adjusting the dpi to 300 yields the same results. The issue doesn't appear to lie with the dpi but the page size as the user is able to print to 11x17 using the same settings.

• 3. Re: Adobe Printer Not Converting psd to pdf
              Curt Y Level 7

Even a 30m banner has recommended dpi of 120.  For 100m banner 40? dpi?

• 4. Re: Adobe Printer Not Converting psd to pdf
                Level 5

It has EVERYTHING to do with the pixel dimensions of the image, so-many-pixels wide by so-many-pixels high.

The limit, already outlined by Mylenium, is 60,000 pixels in either of the two dimensions.

What he was suggesting—obviously—is to RESAMPLE the image. With the "Resample" box checked [ √ ], set the ppi to 300 ppi or less, and save that as a copy.  That copy will print.

Changing the ppi alone without resampling the image is, of course, sheer nonsense.

As mylenium wrote:

What you see is perfectly logical. 4000 DPI seems slightly insane for any use case I can think of, especially at those sizes. You wouldn't need that resolution [even] to print a 100x100m mural

That's 100 meters by 100 meters, or some 110 yards by 110 yards.

For a page size of  22"x34", you don't need more than 200 ppi, maybe less; but 300 ppi is doable.

• 5. Re: Adobe Printer Not Converting psd to pdf
                  Level 5

You should read up on ppi v. dpi. 

• 6. Re: Adobe Printer Not Converting psd to pdf
                    justmonk

Actually, truetype may very well be the culprit here. I'd just flatten the entire file to a single layer and try that.

Using Photoshop for text printing is not the ideal process, ideally images should be built in PS and brought into InDesign with the text handled there.