8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 9:22 AM by station_two

Monitor Calibration Brightness

fresh-prince

Hello,

yesterday I calibrated a monitor with the Eizo Color Navigator 6 for the first time.

During setting the target the following dialog appeared. And I wondered why they recommend 60cd/m2 to 120cd/m2.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-26 um 16.51.28.png

Usually I use Basiccolor Display 5 and there are presets for both prepress and softproofing purposes. Both are based on significantly higher brightness values (120–160).

And that seems a lot more reasonable for me.

The Swiss Competence Center UGRA also recommends 120–160cd/m2.

Is there any reason why a Eizo monitor should be set to a lower brightness?

Thanks

fprince

• 1. Re: Monitor Calibration Brightness
          Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Hi Prince,

Viewing conditions for prints and displays are specified in ISO 3664. For end viewing in the home and office (illuminance 500 lux), standart says D65 and at least 80 cd/m2. For critical print comparisons in viewing booths (illuminance 2000 lux), it says D50 and at least 160 cd/m2.

• 2. Re: Monitor Calibration Brightness
            Level 5

!.—  Did you ask Eizo?

2.— It all depends on your ambient lighting.  I work in almost-cave-like conditions, and 95.0 cd/m2 has always been optimal for me.

• 3. Re: Monitor Calibration Brightness
              fresh-prince Level 1

No, I have not asked Eizo, I trusted on you guys

I know that it depends on ambient lighting, but even offering an option for 60cd/m2 seems a little strange to me.

I just wondered why the recommand such low values ... I mean 120 as the maximum can't be quite right, since almost all trustable print/softproof-oriented sources tell you to set the brightness to somewhere between 120–160.

anyway thanks for your inputs.

• 4. Re: Monitor Calibration Brightness
                Level 5

…almost all trustable print/softproof-oriented sources tell you to set the brightness to somewhere between 120–160…

I cannot agree with that statement—and until you can confidently remove the "almost" from the above quoted sentence, it remains a moot point. 

But then, I'm not here to argue with you, especially since I don't know what your sources are or why you "trust" them. 

I'll just tell you that I fully agree with Eizo's recommendations:

Bildschirmfoto+2014-02-26+um+16.51.28.png

The better the monitor's performance in the shadows and deep blacks, the lower the luminance values can be.

Perhaps you have read recommendations for some of the more modest, cheap and common non-CRT monitors out there.  Eizo makes some pretty amazing, high quality monitors, although from where I sit a good Sony Artisan, LaCie or Mitsubishi Diamondtron Pro still functioning to specifications after these many years beats the pants off any LED or LCD monitor out there in terms of performance in the deep blacks.

Calibration-Picture-25.png

Or you could be getting confused by some vague specifications you read who knows where in regard to viewing booths, which are an entirely different animal; but that's just my speculation.

• 5. Re: Monitor Calibration Brightness
                  Level 5

fresh-prince wrote:

No, I have not asked Eizo, I trusted on you guys…

Oy! 

• 6. Re: Monitor Calibration Brightness
                    fresh-prince Level 1

hi,

thanks for your answer.

…almost all trustable print/softproof-oriented sources tell you to set the brightness to somewhere between 120–160…

that sentence was a little misleading, i actually meant: all sources I know. (basically these are the UGRA recommandations, basICColor presets, and some color management books. and maybe they are in regard to viewing booths. it's not explicitly told.

in conclusion you say that for "standard" prepress uses 80–90 cd/m2 is a good value? (there is not much light in my room)

best regards

fprince

• 7. Re: Monitor Calibration Brightness
                      D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Monitor white should (perceptionally) match paper white, that's the basic requirement. The goal is screen to print match.

Personally I think 160 sounds extremely high, and that would never work for me. I'm set up for offset print, mostly books, which normally are seen in indoor light, "office" light levels or slightly below. My work area is dim (normally lit, but no windows). Given that, I've ended up with a white point luminance at 110 cd/m². That seems to give a close to perfect match.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Monitor Calibration Brightness
                        Level 5

fresh-prince wrote:

that sentence was a little misleading, i actually meant: all sources I know

That gives me no reason to argue or disagree, then. 

fresh-prince wrote:

“in conclusion you say that for "standard" prepress uses 80–90 cd/m2 is a good value?…

I never said any such thing!    As a matter of fact, I don't think I ever addressed the issue of prepress.  I'm primarily concerned with photographic prints.  I did not construe the Eizo recommendations as applying to prepress only either.  I would not presume to comment on something I'm not much familiar with.   

1 person found this helpful