13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 7:58 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing

lunchinsports

Hi,

Every time I use Adobe Premiere Elements 11 it lags, freezes, and crashes.  Now, It normally shuts off when I try to add a title, or open the organizer.  The normal message I receive, and I'm paraphrasing, "an unexpected error caused Adobe to crash, and has to shut down"  I have had this same problem with Adobe Premiere Elements 10, but I thought it was my computer because it didn't have as much memory.  I have a newer computer, and I'm told I have more than enough memory for it to operate properly.  It even freezes when I attempt to add media to the timeline, sometimes it will not allow me to add it at all.  And when the drop down menu with the media files expands, when you click on the arrow, it will not hide the menu like it supposed to.  Can anybody help?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>have a newer computer

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180
          •What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".
          •Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)
          •What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.
          •If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?
          •What were you doing when the problem occurred?
          •What other software are you running?
          •Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?
          •Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?
          And some other questions...
          •What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?
          •Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page?
          •Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)
          What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?
          Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?
          For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information
          -you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself
          ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool
          nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
          nVidia Driver Rollback PreElements-10 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
            lunchinsports Level 1

Thanks for replying!

I have an HP EliteBook 8540w.  The processor is:  Intel (R) Core (TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53 GHz 2.53 GHz.  I have 150 GB of free space out of 230 GB.  I have 4GB of RAM (3.86 usable).  I am operating on a 64 Bit operating system. 

I did download some brushes and fonts to photoshop elements some months ago.  Currently, I have been using my Iphone 4s.  I used my Iphone 3s, Kodak EasyShare C763, and a Sanyo Xacti HD hand-held cam when on PE10, and the problems were the same. 

My Quicktime version is 7.74.80.86.  I edit short video clips.  Sometimes I see a redline on the timeline, if it's the line I think you are talking about, it goes away after I render.  As far as updates, I only update anything when my computer prompts me to.  And besides installing and uninstalling PE11 to try to get it to work, I rarely uninstall anything.  I was unable to re-create the issue with the software shutting down and giving me an error message.  Right now, it's just incredibly slow, and like earlier the project assets setting will not collapse, or insert any more media in to my timeline. (pic below)

My graphics card is an ATI FirePro M5800.  When I click on update driver, it tells me, "the best driver software for your device is already installed"  I went to the website about updating the ATI Driver Autodetect.  I wasn't sure if I should download this.  I included the screensheet below.ATI Autodetect.JPGProject Assets.JPG

I forget to mention this earlier, I don't know if it matters, but I bought it the PC download version from Amazon.com.  I bought the Premiere Elements 10 also from Amazon but it was the disc version, and I had the same issues.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

lunchinsports

You wrote

And when the drop down menu with the media files expands, when you click on the arrow, it will not hide the menu like it supposed to.

Is this the triangle that you click on and the Project Assets Palette will not close?

ProjectAssetsClosure.JPG

Try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, it can be found in the path

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements Folder

12.0 Folder

and, in that 12.0 Folder, is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder that the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists in. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, or Drives active so that you can see the complete path. Make sure that you do not get detoured from the path cited. Any questions, ask me before going through the path.

I will watch for John's response to your video card driver version question.

Please review the above and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

lunchinsports,

I have 4GB of RAM (3.86 usable).  I am operating on a 64 Bit operating system.

I do not know if this will play into your crashing issues, but with a 64-bit OS, 4GB is about what it takes to run just the OS, with little RAM left over for programs. Even if this is not part of the issue, I would consider bumping that up to say 8GB min., with 12 - 16GB being better.

If you also installed the 64-bit version of PrE 11, it will also benefit from the increase in installed RAM.

Good luck, and I will watch how things progress with John T., and ATR. I just wanted to share my observation.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
                  lunchinsports Level 1

Thank you, that is a good idea!

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
                    lunchinsports Level 1

Yup, that is the triangle!  I will attempt to fix this with your steps when I get home from work.  I will let you know the outcome.  Thanks!

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

lunchinsports

I have something else for you to try in case deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file does not remedy the situation.

Pin View.JPG

Please look to the top right of the above screenshot to the Pin View icon (it is between the Trash and the Panel Options icons. When you see it as shown (background color for it light gray), when you drag media from Project Assets to the Timeline, Project Assets will close.

If you click on Pin View so that it has a darker gray backing, then Project Assets remains opened until you click on the triangle next to the name Project Assets.

PinView2.JPG

Let us see if we can get Project Assets to close after you drag your media to the Timeline by setting the Pin View icon as shown in the screenshot above.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
                        lunchinsports Level 1

Thanks!  It did work.  It allows me to collapse the menu like you said.  But the media will not drag in to the timeline.  It shows that it is selected like your screenshot shows, but when I attempt to drag it in to the timeline it does not respond.  When I attempt to click on a different media clip, it does not respond either.  It stays on the most recent media I add.  And the icons above the media in the project assets (ex. folder, delete, panel options, pin, video, picture, and volume picture icon) they are also unresponsive.  I definitely will get some more RAM though.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

lunchinsports

Thanks for looking at the troubleshooting suggests.

Although increasing the installed RAM from 4 to 8 GB is a good idea, pending further information, I hesitate to say that that one factor is the cause of your problems with Project Assets.

Did you delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file as I had suggested back in post numbered 3.

Please let me know the outcome of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file deletion and/or the deletion of the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
                            lunchinsports Level 1

Yup, I followed the instructions as you said in 3.  Except it said Premiere Elements 11 because that's the version I have.  After I deleted the file, I restarted my cpu, and the problem went away.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

lunchinsports

Great, great news. Great job. Glad that the settings file deletion troubleshooting worked for you.

Sorry about me switching versions on you in mid stream. I do not have privileges to edit my posts, so thanks for changing the "12" to "11" in the writeup that you actually followed.

Continuing success.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
                                lunchinsports Level 1

No, thank you.  I also have an issue with the organizer.  It won't load from the welcome menu or when I'm in PE11.  I assume I should try the same methods as I did for project assests.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 11 keeps freezing and crashing
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lunchinsports

The Elements Organizer has its own settings file. You can get at it in 2 ways

a. Open Premiere Elements to the Expert workspace. Hold down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys altogether as you click hold click on the Organizer tab at the bottom left of the workspace. Hold the click for about 15 seconds and then release it. When you do, you should get a pop up asking permission to delete the Elements Organizer settings file. Click Yes. Then release your hold down of the Ctrl+Alt+Shift.

b. Also, you can disable the settings file (psa.prf) by renaming it from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD.

The path to the psa.prf file in Windows 7, 8,or 8.1 64 bit is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psd.prf that you delete or disable with the renaming to psa.prfOLD.

Again, make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Another thing that you might have to do somewhere along the line, if you can get into the Elements Organizer, is create a new catalog. But save that for much, much later and as indicated.

Thanks.

ATR