6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2015 9:44 AM by MACnTUTOR RSS

What is the alternative software for fireworks?

ateer1 Community Member

Fireworks was the best software i dealt with for webgraphics, and as of 2013 it won't be updated anymore, what is the alternative software that might replace it and gets updated?

• 1. Re: What is the alternative software for fireworks?
          Herbert2001 Community Member

A difficult question to answer - I guess it depends on your preferred workflow and how you used Fireworks. Fireworks, no matter how you looked at it, did get quite old in the teeth - workflows have changed quite a bit nowadays, and FW was not keeping up. Adobe is, I think, hoping to have Photoshop replace it. But that is not quite the best option right now.

I found a good replacement in Photoline, although it is still missing a couple of things crucial to web dev. The good things are full svg support (import and export), export of (selected) layers, pages, good (real) vector tools, pixel alignment for vector layers, virtual copies of layers, excellent bitmap tools (comparable to PS), good guides, good alignment tools, patterns, a built-in procedural texture maker, document colours (newest beta), pixel view, anti-aliasing control per layer, great down-scaling algorithms, and so on. I use Qolor Quantizer and RIOT for web graphics optimization.

The things missing are: slicing (which I never used anymore anyway - all layer based workflow now); symbols (though virtual layers work as a workaround); a general pixel alignment setting; no html/css output (which I never need anyway).

It can do much more than Fireworks, but for pure web work it is still missing some things. The devs are very open to suggestions, though, and so far have been adding a lot of useful web functionality. It can only improve, in my opinion.

This works for me. I also work with Xara Designer Pro - which does have full html/css export if required. There is also Xara Webdesigner (Pro) (Designer Pro includes all that functionality).

Soon the first version of EvolveUI will be out: http://tribaloid.com/

It sounds like the perfect FW replacement. As a matter of fact, that project was started by disgruntled ex-FW users.

Of course, you could switch to Photoshop - but that is still too awkward for web work, in my opinion. Illustrator could also be an option. Even InDesign can be used for working web prototypes. But none of these are truly optimized for web work.

In short, do your own research; download the trial version, play around, and see if they do what you need in your web work.

• 2. Re: What is the alternative software for fireworks?
            Josh Thomas Community Member

Axure RP is a great option for making wireframes and working prototypes. Not so great for visual design or exporting to image files. I hear of people using Sketch 3, although I haven't since it can't export to PSD.

Personally, I've switched to Adobe Illustrator for my web layouts. I'll use Photoshop for raster manipulation, but Illustrator is great for pixel precision, 9 slice scaling, and multiple layouts with smart objects. My main beef is artboards—there should be no limit on the size, and adding and removing boards is a hassle. Which it worked more like pages in Fireworks.

• 3. Re: What is the alternative software for fireworks?
              Herbert2001 Community Member

Josh Thomas wrote:

Axure RP is a great option for making wireframes and working prototypes. Not so great for visual design or exporting to image files. I hear of people using Sketch 3, although I haven't since it can't export to PSD.

I dislike Axure RP myself - too convoluted, and it feels very clunky to me. I prefer Justinmind Prototyper myself - have you tested the newest version yet? Even the free version is rather useful.

Aside from that, Macaw works very nicely for quick RWD prototyping.

• 4. Re: What is the alternative software for fireworks?
                Energize Community Member

Xara Designer Pro about near as you'll get to Fireworks:

http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/

• 5. Re: What is the alternative software for fireworks?
                  eGranville Community Member

I just learned about Affinity Designer (Apple Design Award winner) and I'm getting excited again for the first time since hearing Adobe will kill off Fireworks. Love the speed!

Affinity Designer - Professional graphic design software for the Mac

• 6. Re: What is the alternative software for fireworks?
                    MACnTUTOR ACP

Is there a specific use, such as wire framing or pro to-typing, that you have been using Fireworks for? That would help answer your question.

This recent article suggests some general alternatives such as Sketch, Macaw and Anetype.
                    What Does The Future Hold For Adobe Fireworks?

Sketch

Macaw

Antetype

Other possible replacements for Fireworks include:
                    Evolve UI (Open Source) by Tribaloid
                    Tribaloid | Engineering creativity

Gravit (currently in Beta and available by invitation)

Gravit

If you continue to use Fireworks today, you will be interested in Fireworks extension resource sites such as these:

Fireworks Extensions from John Dunning

Project Phoenix – An Adobe Fireworks Extensions Revival Project

Orange Commands – A Collection of Scripts for Adobe Fireworks

Adobe Fireworks Extensions & Commands for Web Designers