4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 1:57 PM by A.T. Romano

Merging 2 Clips

tba20042003

Hi,

Is it possible to remove the join between 2 adjacent clips? I need to do some editing on the audio of both clips and it would help immensely if the 'join' between the 2 clips could be removed, to make just one clip.

Many thanks.

Tom

• 1. Re: Merging 2 Clips
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

Was a single Clip Cut to produce the two, that you now have? If so, then yes you can.

If it was two separate Clips, then the best workflow might be to Share/Publish+Share just those two Clips, as an AV file, or just the Audio, as an Audio-only file (you could use the WAB, Work Area Bar, if necessary, to limit the export to JUST those Clips).

When edited in your Audio-editing program, just Save_As (or Export, depending on the program), Import that, and replace the Audio in the two Clips.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Merging 2 Clips
            tba20042003 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that - extremely useful and helpful. I was videoing an interview and for some reason my camera turned it into 2 clips after about 11 minutes - I have no idea why. So unfortunately it was never just one clip.

However, I will do as you advise and let you know how it goes.

I am working in Elements 11 by the way - I realised I didn't mention that in my original post.

Thanks again.

Tom

• 3. Re: Merging 2 Clips
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

It could well be that your camera has a file size limit, and when reached, it just breaks the Clips.

In the Publish+Share options drop-down list, if you do not see Audio, then scroll down. The scroll bars are not easy to see, and very easy to miss.

I would choose PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, as that will be as good as it gets, and is about as "plain vanilla," as one can hope for. I would not use any of the compressed formats/CODEC's, and just stick to plain old PCM/WAV.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Merging 2 Clips
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

I am not clear on what you are referring to by the "join between 2 adjacent clips". What is joining them? Have you Grouped them with the Premiere Elements' Group command? Are you referring to clips side by side on a video track or rather the video and its audio that came into the program linked to one another?

Depending on the above, there are other points that may be of interest.

a. If your camera gave you two clips instead of one continuous one, you can remedy that before import into Premiere Elements using the Command Prompt technique.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/10/pe12-seamless-file-merging-before-import.html

Also, be aware that you can right click the video with its linked audio clip, select Delete Audio or Delete Video from the pop up menu, and you will be left with the just video or just audio respectively on the Timeline tracks.

Any questions or if clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR