8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 10:01 AM by A.T. Romano

Elements and Sony EX1

PaulLeather

Please can someone simply tell me if i can I import files from my Sony PMW EX1 into Adobe Premier Elements 12? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Elements and Sony EX1
          A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulLeather

I am assuming that you are recording MPEG2 with a MXF container.

From what I have read, Premiere Elements (any version) does not support the MXF container.

Please check out Premiere Pro CS6/CC, the higher end product.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements and Sony EX1
            PaulLeather Level 1

Thank you A.T. I am already familiar with CS6 and CC. I just don''t need such a sophisticated (and expensive) progamme.

I need the ability to be able to ingest footage from the EX1 and peform a 'simple edit'

Previously I used a Sony PD150 and took it intoFinal Cut Express 4 on an early Mac G5 (1.8 twin) But this can't deal with footage (MP2) from th EX1 and I can't up-spec the Mac machine as it's 8 years old and doesn't have Intel chips blah blah blah

SO I'm looking for a way to use Premier (Elements)with my camera with a clever thrid party workaround OR another programme entirely.

Clearly the best work around is for me to blow a few grand on new kit...there's just one draw back

Thanks for your input

• 3. Re: Elements and Sony EX1
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never used it (never had the need), but this converter has been talked up in other forums: http://www.freemxfconverter.com/

Such conversion might be your only route to use MXF media in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Elements and Sony EX1
                PaulLeather Level 1

Thanks Hunt...I'll check it out

PaulL

• 5. Re: Elements and Sony EX1
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulLeather

Thanks for your reply with further details of the workflow that you seek for editing MXF using Premiere Elements.

I have just seen and read the link that Hunt offers you for conversion of your MXF. It looks interesting and prehaps

you way to your goal if you Premiere Elements needs to be your video editor.

If you do try it and have the time, I am curious to learn how that conversion approach turned out, including the quality of the edited product that you obtain with this conversion workaround.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Elements and Sony EX1
                    PaulLeather Level 1

I will investigate and report back sometime soon AT

PL

• 7. Re: Elements and Sony EX1
                      PaulLeather Level 1

WELL... I thought I'd give free MXF converter a go on my old G5 first. I want to see if I can convert footage from my EX1 into suitable files for editing in Final Cut Express 4   Despite their site sayingthat  the MAC download is compatible with Mac os x 10.1-10.8 (mountain lion) my G5 tells me it is "not supported on this architecture" I have MAC OS X 10.5.8

Any clues people?

I can feel a headache coming on...

• 8. Re: Elements and Sony EX1
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulLeather

What computer is your Premiere Elements 12 on now? Or otherwise put, what computers are available to you other than the G5?

No Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit?

I have never used a Mac computer, but, from a Windows world, I would ask "Any trick to run the program in a different compatibility mode in your G5 or set permissions to force a compatibility? Wishful thinking?

ATR