Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FLASH PLAYER

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'M RUNNING 8-64 BIT INTERNET EXPLORER.

SAYS FLASH PLAYER IS INTEGRATED WITH 8-64 AND I DON'T NEED TO DOWNLOAD IT.

\

BUT THEN COMPUTER SAYS FLASH PLAYER IS DISABLED BUT WONT ALLOW ME TO DOWNLOAD NEWEST EDITION OF FLASH PLAYER.

I'VE CHECKED, AND FLASH PLAYER IS ENABLED  (SHOCKWAVE IS ENABLED) AND ACTIVE FILTER IS OFF)

I'M RUNNING THE MOST UPDATED IE.

DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SO.

ANIMATION DOES NOT SHOW UP EITHER.

HELP WOULD BE WONDERFUL.

I TEXED ADOBE AND THEY SAID THEY DO NOT SUPPORT FREE DOWNLOADS AND LEFT THE PROBLEM WITH ME.

CHROME SEEMS TO WORK OK.

I READ SOME OF THE ANSWERS TO ONE FELLOW WHO HAD PROBLEMS WITH FP.

WHAT THEY WERE SAYING ABOUT FIXING THE PROBLEM WAS GREEK TO ME.  I'M NOT ENTIRELEY ILLITERATE WHEN IT COMES TO COMPUTERS BUT THEIR EXPLANATION WAS BEYOND ME.

THERE MUST BE SOMEONE WHO CAN EXPLAIN FIXING THE PROBLEM WHO CAN EXPLAIN IT IN SIMPLER LANGUAGE.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome uses an entirely different and separate Flash Player plug-in than IE does. THAT'S one reason it works when IE won't.

The other can be summed up in three words  "User Agent Strings".

Without getting really techincal... User Agent Strings are what a website uses to "identify" a browser, and provide the proper content for it. That is based on the "browser engine" which matches the Strings written into the browser code.

IE uses a "Trident" engine with ActiveX controls.

Firefox uses a "Gecko" engine - no ActiveX.

Chrome uses a "webkit" engine - again, no ActiveX, but a different plug-in, called PepperFlash.

Microsoft thought they were being smart when they wrote IE11's code and the changed the User Agent Strings so it identifies as either "Gecko" or Webkit". The problem with this is: Once the ID is made and the content is directed, it REQUIRES the proper browser engine. When IE doesn't have a matching engine for the content, the web page(s) fall back on "unidentified" as the browser type.

If a browser is "unidentified", so are the plug-ins, including Flash Player... even if it's enabled and fully up to date.

Since Chrome is properly ID'd, it works. Same with Firefox, Opera or Safari if you use them.

IE is the only one having this problem and Microsoft isn't about to do anything about it, because it was intentional on their part.

If you like Chrome, I'd recommend using it instead of IE.

You may also want to look at the other browsers I mentioned.

I have and use all five (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera) because, as a web designer I need to test pahges in all five. Personally, I prefer Firefox, but anything will work better than IE11 will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MIKE M

THIS ISTHE FIRST MESSAGE I HAVE RECEIVED THAT EXPLAINS IN A TEXT THAT I CAN

UNDERSTAND.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I AM USING CHROME AND LIFE IS SO MUCH EASIER NOW.

THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines