3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2014 11:07 PM by Rick Gerard

Mouse Freezes in After Effects

Lauritheartist Level 1

So sometimes when I'm editing in After Effects, everything will be fine for a little while. Then, randomly, my mouse will stop moving. I've no idea why. I don't think it's my computer because everything else is fine.

I know it's not my computer that freezes because when I hit the windows key on my keyboard (I have a Windows 8 Tosihba laptop) the grid pops up and the animation of the email app and the other apps move fine. Yet my mouse just doesn't move.

Also, I'm able to use the volume keys, brightness keys and everything else....just my mouse won't move!

There is a a kye on my keyboard that allows me to enable/disable my mouse pad but I've tried hitting it a few times and it still doesn't work when my mouse freezes.

Sometimes my mouse will start working again on it's own but most of the time I just have to restart my computer.

The reason I believe it's After Effects is because it only ever happens in that software. It never happens in anything else. It doesn't even happen in Photoshop or Flash.

I also have a trail of Premiere and today it happened again in that software. Is it something in the files that's messing with my mouse?

I tried reinstalling the softwares but that didn't seem to change anything.

I chatted with someone from Adobe a while ago about it and they are actually the ones who suggested maybe it's the software. When I was chatting with them, I actually just started the chat about a different issues and just asked about my mouse in passing and I didn't have time to really discuss it and I've been meaning to revisit the issue but I've been busy haha.

I think I may have to go chat again with an agent but I thought I'd just write the issue here in case someone had an answer and I could skip chatting, espcially if it's something I could just fix.

Thanks for your help in advance!

And if you need to know (because it always seems to be the first question asked on software forums like this! haha) here are my tech specs.

Computer Model --- Toshiba Satellite L875D-S7332

Processor ----------- AMD A6 - 4400M APU with Radeon(tm)

HD Graphics 2.70 GHz

RAM ----------------- 6.00 GB (5,46 GB usable)

System Type ------ 64 - bit Operating System, x64 - based processer

• 1. Re: Mouse Freezes in After Effects
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you only talking about the trackpad? A Bluetooth mouse? Sometimes RF interfeerance from wifi or other bluetooth devices can interrupt the mouse signal.

Other software running in the background?

• 2. Re: Mouse Freezes in After Effects
            Lauritheartist Level 1

Thanks for replying Rick!

I'm refering to my mouse pad on my laptop. However I also have a wacom pen tablet that I use as well and it acts as a mouse. Usually that one works over the built in mouse pad of my laptop, but most times neither work.  And the tablet is just plugged in with a usb cable.

I try not to run too many softwares at once but if I do, it's usually After Effects and...Google Chrome. Maybe Photoshop - in case I need to make up some images to import into After Effects, but most of the time it's After Effects and Google Chrome only.

I had After Effects on my old computer (It was a dell inspiron 1500 I believe...I don't remember but After Effects was barely able to even run on it!) I had my Toshiba (I mentioned the specs in the first post) for about a year and only reinstalled After Effects about half way through the year of 2013. I noticed it happened a copule of times but didn't think much of it. There was a time perdio where  I didn't need After Effects for a while (like a couple of monthes) but sometime...in Dec. I think, I used After Effects and I noticed it started to happen again.

It's really paculiar because it only happens in After Effects, and I only started using Premiere this week, and I noticed it happend there too. That's why I decided to post in the forum. It's really werid!

• 3. Re: Mouse Freezes in After Effects
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is probably a driver conflict somewhere. Make sure everything is up to date. Make sure you don't have any 3rd party mouse or track pad drivers installed. Wacom tablets have been notorious with AE for quite a while and you must make sure that you have the proper drivers installed for AE to work. I work on a Mac mostly and seldom use a Wacom tablet so I'm not much help on that end, but I'm sure that someone somewhere has the Wacom driver problem worked out. I'd check their user forums.