I built a project by importing the topics from a version of
the project that crashed often. The project is now stable, but only
on my machine. It's uploaded to Sharepoint. When another author
works on it when I'm away, there are hundreds of broken links.
I thought it might be the cpd file, so I deleted and tried to
recompile but all of the folders disappeared completely, and
displayed 40 broken links. There are several hundred pages in the
The hhp file .chm reference =Myproject.chm - not a path on my
hard drive - there are no multimedia files and very images.
Some of the file names contained special characters in
German, Portuguese and Spanish (accents) and some file names
contained commas which I of course edited out. Some file names were
up to 70 characters in length, which I have shortened.
We have 30 HF projects, all built the same way with the same
structure, but only this one gives problems, even though it has
been "built from scratch" twice.
First off. HUGE red flag here. Sharepoint. Conjures images of
a focal point for a big no no with RoboHelp. Sharing. Sharing
indicates a common access point that all can get to. And this, my
friend, indicates your project is stored on a LAN drive.
Move it to your local drive.
Okay, okay now stop the whining about the fact that your
other 30 or so projects have been working just dandy this way. The
unfortunate fact here is that up to this point, you have simply
been lucky. If you do some poking around, you will find many posts
here is this forum about issues that were resolved when a project
was moved off a LAN and onto the local drive. Some will probably
try and say "it's just coincidental" that this works. But we find
it awfully odd that problems like these melt away once you are
working locally. Coincidence happens once in a while, but more than
a few times (as almost anyone who has watched these forums on a
regular basis can attest) is not simple coincidence.