5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 12:28 AM by Laubender

The odd page takes the background of the even page

Xoana

Using Indesign 9.2 CC in Maverick. Publication double page size A4. In the master page I put different colored backgrounds, that occupy the entire page, and other pieces that distinguish sections. According windows are measures 0 H and 0 V and measured in millimeters is A4 correct. By applying the master page to an even page, odd background shows the same of the even page, although other parts of the master section are applied to that odd. If I move the master (only half a point is sufficient) background odd, this no longer occurs. But this way I can not attach pictures to appear separate double flat because

• 1. Re: The odd page takes the background of the even page
          Migintosh Level 4

Can you post some screen shots? Click the little camera icon in the forum to upload.

• 3. Re: The odd page takes the background of the even page
            Migintosh Level 4

Hi Xoana. Sorry it's taken me so long to bet back to you. I think you probably have your document set up for A4 with facing pages or possibly you are using A3 with two pages on each InDesign document page, but probably the first option. Is that correct?

I've just tried a little quickie test with an A4 portrait with facing pages and an A4 frame on each side of the spine on the master page with the upper left corner set to X=0, Y=0 for the left (yellow) and X=210, Y=0 for the right (red). I made four document pages, as you can see in my screenshot:

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 1.21.00 AM.png

But, when I go to the document page, I get this:

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 1.21.12 AM.png

…where you can see an extra yellow frame to the left of page 1, and an extra red frame to the right of page 4. When I release these frames from the document page (by clicking while holding Shift and Command), something goes especially screwie on page 3, where each time I release a frame, one still remains in place. If I keep releasing them, they just keep piling up:

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 1.22.51 AM.png

I might expect this if I had re-applied the master to the document page, but I didn't do that. Very odd.

Anyway, this has something to do with the frame on the master page touching the edge of the adjoining master page. I'm not sure if this is something that has been fixed in a later version (I'm using CS 5.5, version 7.5.3 on a Mac with OS 10.7.5), but it shouldn't be doing this. You can make it work correctly if you either nudge the frame or change it's size so that it doesn't touch the edge of the adjacent page. I made the image 209.999x296.999 (plus, I moved the red frame to X=210.001) and it worked correctly. That difference may or may not cause a problem, but it's something to try if this is what's happening to you.

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 1.36.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 1.36.28 AM.png

My test wasn't exactly what you have, but I suspect it's related. If you have different results or something else to report, please come back and reply.

• 4. Re: The odd page takes the background of the even page
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Migintosh – we already had that issue a couple of times.

See for example:

mattplondon

Why does implementing Indesign cs6 master page affect a whole spread, rather than a single page?

15.02.2013 03:33

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5075293#5075293

This is one of the pitfalls using master spreads…

Uwe

• 5. Re: The odd page takes the background of the even page
                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To solve this problem I proposed a new feature.

Objects (at least on master spreads) honoring the effective bleed area:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6171931#6171931

Of course a feature that could be set globally and/or object by object, toggled on and off.

Uwe