36 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 8:06 AM by A.T. Romano

MP4 question

Vidfan

Premiere Elements 12 imports some MP4 files as weird, green and purple garbage.  What might be wrong?

• 1. Re: MP4 question
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Windows or Mac, and what EXACT version of the operating system?

Also, MP4 is a wrapper... what is INSIDE your wrapper?

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: MP4 question
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

What is the brand/model/settings for the camera recording your .mp4 file?

We will be looking for

Video Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Is the problem only with this specific .mp4 video or does it apply to videos of all formats? What happens if you import a jpeg photo, some distorted image?

What is your project preset and what is your Add Media choice to import the video into the opened project?

Let us start here and then decide what next?

Thanks.

ATR

Add On..Please confirm that you are referring to import into Premiere Elements 12 Editor and not Elements Organizer 12.

• 3. Re: MP4 question
              Vidfan Level 1

Thanks for your reply!  The OS is Windows 7.  Don't know what's inside the

MP4 file (how can I find out?).  The file was created by Hauppage HD PVR

video capture of a VHS tape.  Some such files play properly, some are

garbage.  Any idea what's happening?

• 4. Re: MP4 question
                Vidfan Level 1

Thanks your the reply!  The OS is Windows 7.  The MP4 file was created by

Hauppage HD PVR video capture of a VHS tape.  Some such files play

properly, some are green and purple garbage.  Any ideas as to what's wrong?

• 5. Re: MP4 question

>Don't know what's inside the MP4 file (how can I find out?)

You find out by clicking the links I provided in reply #1

• 6. Re: MP4 question
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

Since some files are OK and some not, the issue probably resides in the video compression for these files with .mp4 file extensions even though all are supposed to have the same video compression? What are we looking at in terms of file duration bad versus good results?

Any chance of comparing the properties readout for one that works against one that does not?

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

The gspot utility works on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit among others.

The gspot dialog should look like this and will give us valuable Video as well as Audio codec information regarding Name, Codec, and especially Status.

gspot.JPG

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: MP4 question

>The file was created by Hauppage HD PVR  video capture of a VHS tape

Go back to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements  and, in the area just under Ask a Question, type in

hauppage

You may now read previous discussions on this subject... be sure to click the See More Results at the bottom of the initial, short list if the initial list does not answer your question

You might also want to do the same search at http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere

I do not have one, but I have read other discussions of hauppage problems

• 8. Re: MP4 question
                        Vidfan Level 1

Ok, I didn't see in the articles how to figure out the content of an MP4

file.  So I downloaded and ran MediaInfo.  But it didn't do anything, such

ask as for a file to be analyzed or whatever.

Strangely, the MP4 file that don't work were created by the same Hauppage

process as the files that do work.

• 9. Re: MP4 question
                          Vidfan Level 1

A couple of 30 min. files are fine, but one 30 min. and two 10 min. files

don't work.  All were created by the same process in the Hauppauge video

capture.

• 10. Re: MP4 question
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

Are you saying that the Media Info readout did not display the properties of the problem video? If so, would it display the properties for the non problem video? Or, are you just not looking at the correct view in Media Info. At the top of the Media Info page, you should see a View Menu. Click on Tree View under that View Menu. You should see a very comprehensive overall, video, and audio readout for your file.

For what we are doing, I think the gpsot (although less comprehensive) would have served the purpose.

In view of the situation that you describe, would it be possible for you to send us a sample by posting a Droplink to the sending in a post here? We would look forward to the opportunity to check out the problem video?

Although the same process may have produced the problem and non problem, some might have gone wrong with the recording at some point in time as reflected in the problem video.

Do you see this problem with the problem video if you take it into another project?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: MP4 question
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

As John T. points out, there have been many problems reported when they come from a Hauppage card - please follow his instructions on the Search of this forum, and be prepared for quite a bit of reading.

Some of those problems have been fixed, but many never were.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: MP4 question
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

Since you specifically are writing that

A couple of 30 min. files are fine, but one 30 min. and two 10 min. files

don't work

and

All were created by the same process in the Hauppauge video

capture.

I think that the answer resides in the details specific to your capture techniques and a comparison of what you have, works and does not work.

Posting a Dropbox link to a sample of the working and not working might help.

ATR

• 13. Re: MP4 question
                                  Vidfan Level 1

When I ran MediaInfo, it just flashed up and then disappeared.

Maybe it is an issue with the video capture.  I'm going to try to contact

Hauppauge about this possible problem with their device.  Thanks!

• 14. Re: MP4 question
                                    Vidfan Level 1

That must be it!  The Hauppauge video capture format evidently does not

work well with Premiere Essentials 7.  Thanks!

• 15. Re: MP4 question
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

What is Premiere Essentials 7? Do you mean Premiere Elements 7?

From what you wrote, you have Premiere Elements 12. What may or may not have worked in 7 for someone, may not be the case in version 12 for you, especially since you have some satisfactory results. If all your video did not work for you in Premiere Elements 12, then that would be a different story.

ATR

• 16. Re: MP4 question
                                        Vidfan Level 1

ATR,

gspot reports the same info for a file that works and one that doesn't:

Codec avc1, Name H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Codec Status Undetermined

3gp4: 3GPP Media(.3GP) Release 4

- isom: MP4 Base Media v1

Vidfan

• 17. Re: MP4 question
                                          Vidfan Level 1

ATR,

Yes, my typo, it's Elements 12.

I'm going to try to re-record the VHS videos to see whether something was

done wrong originally.

Vidfan

• 18. Re: MP4 question
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

Thanks for the replies.

A properties readout showing MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 is representative of the AVCHD video compression. AVCHD video compression with a .mp4 file extension (wrapper format) should be compatible with your Premiere Elements 12.

If there is no problem with your video card/graphics card (I see no indications of that), then your re-record of the VHS video should give us valuable information.

But, let me ask you this to make sure that we are OK with each others details on the issue.

What frame size are you recording at with your recorder. If it is 720 x 480 NTSC or 720 x 576 PAL and your are bringing this format into a 1920 x 1080 project, this may be a source of distortion. But, I am not sure if that is an explanation for what you describe as "weird green purple garbage".

We thank you for the follow ups and are looking forward to learning of your progress.

ATR

• 19. Re: MP4 question
                                              Vidfan Level 1

image: Inline image 1

Hi ATR,

Ok, I re-captured the VHS tapes using a brand-new VCR, but again the same

problem happened with some of the resulting MP4 files.  Above is an example

of the garbage that appeared in Premiere Elements 12.

The same files worked flawlessly in other SW I've tried, Windows MovieMaker

and ArcSoft.  So, it looks like PE12 simply won't work for my files, due to

technical details beyond my understanding.

Vidfan

• 20. Re: MP4 question
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not better.

You wrote in your post 19 "Above is an example of the garbage that appeared in Premiere Elements 12".

I do not see that example. Could you post again with it?

Also, would it be possible to send us a sample of the problem .mp4, maybe posting a link to a Dropbox download for it?

More in the morning.

Thanks.

ATR

• 21. Re: MP4 question
                                                  Vidfan Level 1

Hi ATR,

The inline picture works in Gmail, but apparently not on the forum mail.

I've attached it here, and hope that reaches you.

Vidfan

• 22. Re: MP4 question
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

I am not sure what you intended to send, but it did not attach.

Please review the sending details. If this is going to be a screenshot representation....

a. Use the Snipping Tool of your Windows 7 to capture what you are seeing as a jpeg saved

to your computer hard drive.

b. Then Reply to a post in your thread, use the camera icon at the top of the Reply area to browse to the jpeg and insert that jpeg into your post.

If you do not see the Snipping Tool in your Windows 7, Start Button, Search, and in Search field above the Start button, type in Snipping Tool. Look to the top of that left column for Snipping Tool.

Please let us know if you are OK with the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 23. Re: MP4 question
                                                      upholsteryteacher Level 1

I’m working on a MacBook Pro. I’ll try to do all of this from my other laptop. I could email you the image. That would be easier.

Should I do that? This is about the audio looping question.

• 24. Re: MP4 question
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

upholsteryteacher

Just a point of clarification....are you also using the ID Vidfan?

Or are you just using Vidfan's thread to post your question on another topic that we have been discussing

elsewhere?

Please advise.

Thanks.

ATR

• 25. Re: MP4 question
                                                          Vidfan Level 1

ATR,

I did the snipping to JPEG previously and inserted it, then attached it.

These do appear in my Gmail thread, but apparently not to you.

Re your suggestion, when hitting the Gmail "reply," no camera option

appears.

Vidfan

• 26. Re: MP4 question
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

For the sending that you want to do, you should be accessing the forum from your browser via http://www.adobeforums.com, signing in, and then selecting and opening to the Premiere Elements Forum. Then you navigate to your thread and enter a reply into which you insert the jpeg with the camera icon.

Have you been there and done all that?

If that does not work, we will go to some other plan of action for this.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 27. Re: MP4 question
                                                              Vidfan Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for the instructions.  I'll try to include the mysterious screen shot here:

MP4 file in Premiere Elemenents 12 .JPG

• 28. Re: MP4 question
                                                                upholsteryteacher Level 1

Not using Vidfid. BTW--I'm gettting lots of your threads on all sorts of

different things.

I'm just trying to figure out how to keep my clip audio from looping.

• 29. Re: MP4 question
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

upholsteryteacher

Depending on further developments, we may want to move your posts into a thread of your own.

More on that later.

My first line of troubleshooting at this point is to get confirmation from you that your computer is not using a NVIDIA GeForce video card for your Premiere Elements 10 projects.

More later.

ATR

• 30. Re: MP4 question
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

Apologizes for the late follow up. I lost track of your thread in the heavy traffic of threads here and just now found the Adobe Post Email Notification for your latest post.

Has the problem been resolved with your Hauppauge HD PVR .mp4 recordings? If not and if other alternative video editors are not working out well for you with this video source, then I am going to make the following suggestion.

If you have not already, take your Hauppauge recording and convert it to H.264.mp4 with the free HandBrake program (Mac version).

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

We can go over settings if necessary. The basic settings with include

a. leaving your frame size at that of the original

b. setting the Video compression to H.264

c. setting the file extension to .mp4

d. setting the frame rate to "constant" at 29.97 frames per second (whatever it is now).

Thank you.

ATR

• 31. Re: MP4 question
                                                                      Vidfan Level 1

ATR,

Yes, that solved the green&purple mess and made it display properly!

Questions about settings - What should they be in order to keep the video

as true to the original as possible (with frame rate corrected of course)?

Also, I don't see the option you mentioned called "frame size."

Thanks so much!

Vidfan

• 32. Re: MP4 question
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

Thanks for the reply.

What worked for you? The HandBrake conversion to H.264.mp4?

If you used HandBrake, import your file and then leave the frame width and height as is in the Picture Tab settings.

Just go onto the Video Tab settings.

I am going to be calling it a day. I will check your thread in the morning for further details.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 33. Re: MP4 question
                                                                          Vidfan Level 1

ATR,

The original file was an MP4 capture from a VHS tape.  Its frame rate

apparently was 29.78 fps.  HandBrake corrected that to 29.97 fps, and it

plays properly now.  My questions about settings for maintaining the

original quality are because, with the settings as they were, HandBrake

reduced the file size from 382 MB to 126 MB.

Thanks for your help, and any info on this matter.

Vidfan

• 34. Re: MP4 question
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

The answer to the HandBrake file size (in your case 382 MB to 126 MB) is in the bitrate setting in the Quality area under the Video Tab.

Here is an online article on HandBrake and how to convert to a specific file size.

http://mediacommons.psu.edu/2013/04/using-handbrake-to-convert-a-video-to-a-target-size/

The units given are kbps (kilobits per seconds).

Many times you may have a source video with the bitrate given in Mbps (megabits per seconds). My quick way around the conversion is, for one example of what I did for one video with a bitrate of 32.3 Mbps, to type

32.3 megabits = ? kilobits into the browser Google Search. When I do, it comes up with

32,2 Megabits = 33075.2 Kilobits and I use the 33075.2 value in the Video Tab/Quality Area. There you can decide whether the variable bitrate is going to include 1 Pass or 2 Pass.

Please check out the above and then let us know if that worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 35. Re: MP4 question
                                                                              Vidfan Level 1

ATR,

Again thanks!  That gave me a file size comparable to the original.  The

only way I knew to to get the original bit rate was via the GSpot "Codec

Information Appliance" from gspot.headbands.com.  That did give it in kbps.

Actually I increased this bit rate in proportion that the standard 29.97

fps frame rate iss larger than the original file's 29.78 fps.

A remaining question:  what does "Cropping - Automatic" do?

Vidfan

• 36. Re: MP4 question
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidfan

Thanks for the update with good news.

As for "Cropping - Automatic", I have not worked with that feature as Custom and just went with Automatic, but never had black borders to contend with. I suspect that black borders and aspect ratio considerations would direct us to this feature.

Here are the first references that I picked up during a quick Google search.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/PictureSettings

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/309598-Handbrake-To-Crop-or-Not-To-Crop

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/241529?start=0&tstart=0

More later.

ATR