3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 12:22 PM by Nancy OShea

DWCC pubish CMS site

eatonatl

Hi, I just created my 1st Content Management Site using Dreamweaver CC. I also have a local MAMP...MySQL PHP database created.  The site is updated from data on this database. My question is I'm now going to publish this site using Adobe, since I get 5 sites.  One I begin to publish this site it sounds pretty easy reading the documentation, but how do I define my database to your database server that my site will utilize? 

• 1. Re: DWCC pubish CMS site
          Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Gosh, I wish people would read the Business Catalyst documentation BEFORE they build their  site in DW.    BC plans have their own internal modules for CMS, blogs, shopping carts, etc...  BC sites are designed for people who DON'T want to build their own databases and server-side scripts.  

To use your current set-up, you'll need to procure other commercial web hosting  on a Linux/Apache server that supports PHP & MySql.

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DWCC pubish CMS site
            eatonatl Level 1

Wow. So  Adobe does not have a way for me to define my database to their database servers, which my site would need?

If the answer is yes, then your saying the only way to create a dynamic site that Adobe will host is to build it using the BC way?

Do you have a link to some good documentation creating a CMS site for BC?

Also, if this is all true, are you saying my current CMS site will have to be completely redone?

Thanks

• 3. Re: DWCC pubish CMS site
              Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So  Adobe does not have a way for me to define my database to their database servers, which my site would need?

That's right.  Business Catalyst uses it's own modules and connection strings which you don't have access to.  You cannot put your PHP/MySql site on their servers.

then your saying the only way to create a dynamic site that Adobe will host is to build it using the BC way?

That's right.  Business Catalyst sites are specifically built to perform on the Business Catalyst servers.

are you saying my current CMS site will have to be completely redone?

Only if you want to host it on BC servers.  It's up to you.  You're under no obligation to use Business Catalyst if it doesn't fill your needs. 

You can use any commercial web host that supports Linux/Apache servers with PHP & MySql.

• Lunarpages
              • InMotion
              • Dreamhost
              • Hostgator
              • etc...

Nancy O.