13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 1:41 PM by the_wine_snob

Jpeg resize question:

P1965 Level 1

As it's been suggested, resizing photos for an SD project to 1000 X 750 pixels seems to work quite well, yielding nice videos. 

However, is there a suggested size for reducing images to be used in a widescreen HD projects that some will in turn be cropped to 16 x 9 to fit the screen?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Jpeg resize question:
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For a "rule-of-thumb" for full HD, I would set the size to 2000 x 1500 pixels.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Jpeg resize question:
            A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system it is running?

What are the original pixel dimensions of your photos? How many of them will be in use in the Premiere Elements project?

Is the Premiere Elements Timeline destined for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, AVCHD format on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

The classical response to photo sizing is often seen as SD not to exceed 1000 x 750 (landscape orientation) and HD not to exceed must more than 1920 x 1080. But, with versions like 10, 11, or 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, those recommendations, I believe, can be stretched somewhat depending on the level of computer resources and number of photos involved. But, remember, that however high the resolution is, the end product will have the resolution inherent in the end product specifications.

If photos are 3:2 and destination is a 16:9 one, I would go for cropping and resizing before import into Premiere Elements. If photos are 16:9 and destination is a 16:9 one, then I would go with resizing before import into Premiere Elements.

Pending further developments, I would look at photos 1920 x 1080 brought into a Premiere Elements 11 or 12 project with project preset manually set for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p 30 @ 29.97

or

its PAL counterpart

And, then the burn to disc to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, AVCHD format on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

Please review. Any questions or need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Jpeg resize question:
              nealeh Level 5

If you have no intention of using pan and/or zoom you might just as well resize them exactly to your project frame size.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Jpeg resize question:
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Why the 2000 x 1500 4:3 for HD? HD is characterized by 16:9 display aspect ratio.

So why use a 4:3 for a 16:9 destination. I see no rationale in that.

EXCEPT WITH DISCLAIMERS

If the user goes with 2000 x 1500 4:3 sizing with the Premiere Elements preference of default "Default Scale to Frame  Size" with check mark, the end result is the image in the monitor screen sized for 1920 x 1080 16:9 with large black borders to its left and right.

If the user goes with 2000 x 1500 4:3 sizing with Premiere Elements preference of default "Default Scale to Frame Size" without check mark, the program will not automatically scale or try to scale the 2000 x 1500 4:3 to a 1920 x 1080 16:9. It will overflow the 1920 x 1080 space. Then the user can scale the image to just fill, rather than overflow, the monitor 1920 x 1080 space.

The pros and cons (merits of) of the use of the preference "Default Scale to Frame" can be discussed as appropriate, but acknowledgment of its existance should be put into this equation.

ATR

• 5. Re: Jpeg resize question:
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Just a mention of the rationale behind the targeted project preset in post 2....

Many of us, going back a few years, have recognized that the photos destined for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc typically come out sharper with the DSLR project preset than with the default 1080i settings.

More on that later if necessary.

ATR

• 6. Re: Jpeg resize question:
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Most Still Cameras shoot in 4:3 Aspect Ratio.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Jpeg resize question:
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks you for your input for one possible rationale behind

For a "rule-of-thumb" for full HD, I would set the size to 2000 x 1500 pixels.

Yet, beside what else I wrote in post 4....

The pros and cons (merits of) of the use of the preference "Default Scale to Frame" can be discussed as appropriate, but acknowledgment of its existance should be put into this equation.

ATR

• 8. Re: Jpeg resize question:
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

In my workflow, I will do both a Scale and a Crop in Ps, to get the exact pixel x pixel dimensions that I need, such as 1920 x 1080.

If I need to Pan, on a Zoomed out Image, I will calculate exactly what I will need, and Scale & Crop to just that.

However, many do not want to go to that an exacting exercise, and seem happiest with a bit of "wiggle room." They also seem more comfortable by doing the final tweaking in Premiere. I do not find any need for wiggle room, as I know exactly what my Frame Size will be, and Scale plus Crop to exactly that. I do not need to Fit to Default Frame Size, as I am already there.

If they do not Crop in Ps to the exact 1920 x 1080 Frame Size, they can allow the height to be "effectively cropped" by the Frame Size of the Video. Personally, I like doing that to the exact pixel x pixel dimensions, while still in Ps, but others do not. I want my Still Images to be exactly how I will use them, when I get them into Premiere.

With a 2000 x 1500 pixel Image, if that is Imported into Premiere, and dragged to the Timeline, if Fit to Default Frame is invoked, the 2000 will fit to 1920, but with the 4:3 Still Image Aspect Ratio, then effective cropping will take place on the on the Scaled 1500, which will be multiplied by 0.96, or 1440 pixels. Only 1080 vertical will be visible, so they can effectively crop by moving the position of the Still Image up and down, displaying only the 1080 pixels, that they want.

It all boils down to how a person likes to work, and how comfortable they are at Cropping (and Scaling) in Ps.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Jpeg resize question:
                          P1965 Level 1

I'll try to answer all the questions above.  First it is Pre 11, Win 7 64 bit, Pre located on secondary drive that is 1Tb 7200 / 8G ram  

As for the photo dimensions, they are from various digital cameras so the actual sizes vary but the aspect is common at 4:3.   The created Pre project has both photos and HD video within the timeline and the project settings were set to NTSC 1920 X180i @ 29.97 or whatever the HD video set the defaults to for that particular footage when imported.  I have subsequently exported sections at the suggested MTZ-H264 1920X180i 30fps to a file and burnded a DVD to check the quality and it is excellent.

That all said, before importing to the Pre project I did a wild guess on resizing the jpeg photos using P Shop 11 to 1400 X (whatever it selected), then selecting bicubic for reduction, then crop them to 16:9 ratio to fit the project screen.     The (whatever it selected) - varied on each photo

So I'm basically wondering if there is a better choice for sizing for HD widescreen than 1400 x ??  

• 10. Re: Jpeg resize question:
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are doing all of the Scaling and Cropping in Ps, I would then do each Image to 1920 x 1080, exactly as you are using for the Video. That will take any extra work out of the process.

Just my thoughts,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Jpeg resize question:
                              P1965 Level 1

I will experiment with that method, going by aspect ratios opposed to actual downsizing and also try different pixel sizing and see if the final result improves at all.  The way i have done it so far seems to leave the images smaller than the screen size in the Pre project, but does end up with a nice finished product in the end.

thanks for the help.

• 12. Re: Jpeg resize question:
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Thanks for the replies.

When I set up a project and there are photos and video involved, I typically will set the project preset (often manually) to match the properties of the video and then size the photos accordingly.

If all photos, then I target 1920 x 1080 size and the DSLR 1920 x 1080p project preset because of the resulting sharper image that have been found in the end product burn to disc.

Go with what works for you and how you want to present it to your viewer.

Further details if necessary.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 13. Re: Jpeg resize question:
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The 1440 pixel Image, used in a 1920 pixel Project (horizontal dimensions only listed here), the Image WILL be a bit smaller. If you do your Scale to 1920 pixels wide, and then Crop (as desired) to 1080, the PSD should fit perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt