5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 8:01 AM by SteveH59

How best to 'paste' an image

SteveH59 Level 1

cut out from one photo onto the background of another photo.

I am sure this has been covered many times, but often the image pasted on to the new background appears 'false', or appears to 'stand out'.

Sometimes, I suppose, that may be the desired outcome, but I would like my final result to appear as seamless as possible.

How would I achieve that, please?

Thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: How best to 'paste' an image
          DrStrik9 Level 4

Can you please show us screen shots of the images separately, then how it looks when pasted?

Also, what Photoshop version, and what operating system?

• 2. Re: How best to 'paste' an image
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I'd say Shadows are the single most important thing when it comes to making a composted element look like it belongs.

Here are a couple of famous Photoshopped 'News' images actually put out by Korean and Chinise government agencies.

http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2013/10/nkphotoshop1.png

This one is incredible.  How on earth was it allowed to be put out looking so bad?

http://www.petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2012/05/floatingphotoshop_mini.jpeg

• 3. Re: How best to 'paste' an image
              SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

Thank you both for your replies.

I am attaching the three photos and my effort at putting them together. I am on Win 7 and this is an old version I have: CS2, I think.

good_back.png

PandaMe2_225.png

Good_back1.png

Thank you for any advice.

Steve

• 4. Re: How best to 'paste' an image
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

When we apply fake shadows, we use information from the rest of the image, i.e. we try to simulate the same lighting.   The panda was photographed in very flat lighting - like on a cloudy or overcast day, and there is very little shadow from the bambo leaves on the panda's face.  It is also less than clear what the background is, and ho close it is to the panda, so probably all you could do to make the panda belong in the scene, is to make sure the outline is just a tiny bit soft.

The way I do that nowadays, is to Ctrl (Cmd) click the composited element's layer, and add a layer mask.  Then I use the Mask Properties panel to edit the mask.  Just a tiny bit of feather, and maybe go into Mask Edge to use Shift Edge to increase the mask size a tiny bit.  Do this when zoomed in at 100%, actual pixel size.

• 5. Re: How best to 'paste' an image
                  SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Trevor

Thank you again for your help.

I have done that - just feathered it by 2px. I can hardly notice the difference, but I think it's fairly

acceptable. The background is a bamboo fence and the Chinese symbols mean 'Hungry Panda' (it will be a banner image on a Chinese restuarant Web page). The symbols are pixelated upon magnification, but I've tried just about everything!

I haven't got Chinese installed as I don't think Win 7 (Home Premium) comes with that facility.

Thanks again for your advice - I have bookmarked this page for future reference.

Steve

panda_banner.png