9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 11:31 PM by Frustrated in AZ

Flash Player 12 won't install under Win 7 and IE 11

Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I have been on several websites recently that told me I did not have Flash Player installed.  I did have, not too long ago, but it's disappeared....  That's a different issue.

I went to Adobe.com and tried to install Flash Player 12.  The installation scripts ran just fine, and Adobe reported that Flash Player was installed.  During that process, I was asked to close IE 11, which I did.  When the installation was completed, I rebooted my machine - and then went back to one of the websites I had been on recently, to view their video.  That website reported that I did not have Flash Player installed!  So, I went to another one - and the same result.

I pressed on the Start button, displayed 'All Programs', and Flash Player was not listed.

I started Task Manager, displayed Processes from all users, but Flash Player was not running.  So, I went to Services, and saw that Flash Player Update Service was stopped.  I tried starting it, but received a message that Access was denied.  Yes, my account has Administrative privileges.

I went to Control Panel, and displayed all Programs.  Flash Player 12 Active X 12.0.0 70 was listed, and I could uninstall it.

So, SOMETHING was installed, but apparently it did not update the Registry files so the program would be available.

I realize that Flash Player 12 has been released only in the past two weeks, but.....

What's going on?  I've been doing this enough years to know what to do, but nothing's working.

• 1. Re: Flash Player 12 won't install under Win 7 and IE 11
          vwvan

Similar problem.  Flash Player 12 seems to be installed, but Youtube videos will not play.  Need a was to install a previous working version of Flash Player.

• 2. Re: Flash Player 12 won't install under Win 7 and IE 11
            Mike M Level 6

"User-Agent Strings"

That doesn't mean a lot, I'm sure, but it's the root of your problems, and Flash Player has nothing to do with it.

Microsoft "rewrote" the User-Agent Strings for the abomination they call their latest and greatest browser. User-Agent Strings are what websites use to identify the browser you're using and provide the proper content for it's browser engine, like ActiveX stuff, and Flash or HTML5 video. Thanks to the geniuses in Redmond, WA, the User-Agent Strings for IE11 (which has a Trident engine), ID it as either "Gecko" (Firefox) or "Webkit" (Chrome). Problem is: when the site the directs to the content for one of these two engines, the Trident engine in IE can't intepret it and the site then sees IE as an "unidentified" browser.

The problem with an unidentified browser is that the plug-ins in that browser aren't recognized either, so even though you're up to date, it says you need the latest Flash Player when you use IE11. YouTube... has converted to HTML5 video so if it doesn't detect Flash Player, it can display HTML5 (MP4) video which requires no plug-in to play. Facebook can't do that, because HTML5 doesn't apply to games... only video.

Microsoft has no plans to "fix" the mess thay've created because they think it's a great idea to block you out of the websites you visit.

They recommend using "Compatibility View" and pretending that you're using an older verison of IE... Problem with that is that it's seen limited success, and you have to enable it for EVERY page that has problems... individually.

I'm not big on "pretending" so I recommend actually using another browser.

Firefox (from Mozilla)

Opera (from Opera)

Safari (from Apple)

Chrome (from Google)

ANY of those will work where IE11 won't, with the Flash Player Plug-in (For all other browsers), and Chrome doesn't even need that because it has its own Flash Player plugin built in.

• 3. Re: Flash Player 12 won't install under Win 7 and IE 11
              vwvan Level 1

I am still using Explorer 9, with all its updates.  Youtube stopped working with this latest Adobe Flash 12.  As far as I can tell, there is not way to reload the earlier Flash 11.x so I can get Youtube functional again.

• 4. Re: Flash Player 12 won't install under Win 7 and IE 11
                Frustrated in AZ Level 4

While this makes sense, it also doesn't quite cover the issue.  Why doesn't Flash Player appear in my 'list of programs' I can access via the Start button?  Also, why would access be denied to Flash Player Update Active X under your scenario?

I am in agreement with you on MS's arrogance and insensitivity to its users.  However, I can't roll back IE 11.  And it's not clear from your comments that, should I be able to install an earlier version of Flash Player, it would work either.

Yes, an alternate browser is an option, but not a good one.  If I do that, then I have some issues with other software that integrate with IE.  So, I've decided it's a no-win.

I am angry with Adobe for checking the box 'install Google Chrome bar' automatically on the Flash Player installation screens because I should have the right to decide what software I want installed on my computer with positive choices, not defaults.

So, with the blame spread equally, and alternatives discussed, is there anything else I can do?

• 5. Re: Flash Player 12 won't install under Win 7 and IE 11
                  Frustrated in AZ Level 4

This is really a no-win situation.  Unless there's some way to untie the

Gordion knot of incompatible software, I will be going without Flash Player.

I said in my first post that I had it installed and it vanished.  I wonder

if the MS IE 11 installation wiped it out.

============

• 6. Re: Flash Player 12 won't install under Win 7 and IE 11
                    Mike M Level 6

Why doesn't Flash Player appear in my 'list of programs' I can access via the Start button?

Because it's NOT a program. It's a plug-in for your browser. Adblockers, Video downloaders, Form Fillers, and website styles don't appear in your programs either.

Also, why would access be denied to Flash Player Update Active X under your scenario?

It shouldn't be. ONLY Windows 8 has restricted access to the ActiveX plug-in. The one for Win 7, Vista and XP is here: Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

And you CAN roll back to IE 10... people do it all the time. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Software that "integrates with IE"... Integrates with your "default browser", whatever it may be. To my knowledge, the last thing that REQUIRED IE was Windows Update for Windows XP. With Vista it became part of the Control Panel. Office works with the "default browser". Acrobat/Reader works with the "default browser". QuickBooks/Quicken/TurboTax... all work with the "default browser".

When you install a new browser, set it as your default, and everything that used to open IE, will then open the new browser.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: Flash Player 12 won't install under Win 7 and IE 11
                      Frustrated in AZ Level 4

That article is not helpful.  Sorry, Devendar, but it relates to different circumstances and different levels of IE than I have installed.

• 9. Re: Flash Player 12 won't install under Win 7 and IE 11
                        Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Thank you, Mike.  I had not realized that I could roll back to IE10, and I'll have to figure out what steps I need to take to get that done.  IE11 is causing problems with other websites as well.