13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2014 11:46 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7

Safireranger Level 1

After starting Premiere Elements 12, it crashes randomly. No error code, no BSOD. Just a message from Windows saying that the program has stopped working. The program says it is up to date, and I've updated everything from Windows to Java to Flash and all my drivers. This happens every few minutes, and there doesn't seem to be any specific action that causes it.

Windows 7 Home Premium  SP1, build 7601

Intel i5-3570k on ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 board

16GB ram

2x NVidia GTS 450 in SLI  using dual monitors.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>2x NVidia GTS 450 in SLI

That does not work... you must go out of SLI mode

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Safireranger

I had to look up to find to what you were referring when you wrote in SLI using dual monitors.

Found SLI = Scalable Link Interface, NVIDIA's linking two or more video cards together to produce a single output.

We will await the results from John's suggestion to go out of SLI mode. Have you found any real significance to using the SLI mode?

Depending on the results, please consider, for troubleshooting purposes, disconnecting one of your two monitors.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
              Safireranger Level 1

I set up a profile for Premiere Elements in the NVidia control panel and set  the SLI mode to single GPU. Seemed ok, but after about 15 minutes, same problem.  I'll post results asap for disconnecting 1 monitor.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
                VDOSurfer Level 3

Remove one of the cards and then try working with PrE. I mean remove it physically, and don't just disable it through a software option. PrE does not have anything to do with the display cards. And that is a good thing, believe me. What I can also surely say is that there is no performance increase because of a better display card, and definitely not because there are more display cards. these I have personally tried. If you look at the system requirements for PrE, they only say that they support a set of display cards, and not that they work better with any of those...

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
                  Safireranger Level 1

As far as the SLI goes, it was never intended to improve PrE, it's for gaming and as far as I know has zero effect on PrE. Removing one GPU, while it has the potential to correct the PrE issue, is not something I'm willing to do every time I want to work on a video.  Almost all the other threads list BSOD style crashes. In my case, it just drops to the desktop and says it quit working.  I'm going to do more reading since I have noticed this is not my only issue. Autosave files are empty as well.   I would be willing to remove a card for troubleshooting, IF there would be a fix to correct the problem.  But I don't see that happening.  I'm not sure this is a hardware issue since there is no BSOD or any type of error. I'll try these tests, but I have a feeling I may just have to 'deal with it'...again.    Thank you both for you help, let me know if there are any other tests/troubleshooting I can do.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Safireranger

Are you within 30 days of purchase with regard to a purchase of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe? Adobe offers a 30 day money back and are very strict about the 30 days. So, if you are facing adjustments in your computer environment that are not acceptable to you, please plan strategy on what next.

If at all possible I would follow the steps suggested for troubleshooting purposes only now and then with results decide what next in your best interests.

There is a link to Adobe via its Adobe Chat that I can post, but I believe it would be to your advantage to explore all the troubleshooting possibilities here first. Whatever works for you.

Please advise.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On..By the way, did you ever say if disconnecting one of the monitors had any impact on the situation?

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
                      Safireranger Level 1

ATR, I'm not sure why, but it seems that disconnecting one of the monitors has corrected this issue. 45 minutes so far, and no crashes!  Do you know the reason behind this? Still hoping there might be a solution out there, since I don't want to be disconnecting my monitor all the time.

BTW, I'm way over my 30 days. lol

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Safireranger

Thanks for the follow up with the good and not so good news about the computer monitors involvement in your Premiere Elements 12 Windows issue.

Did you find that either of the monitors could be used by itself, but just not the two together in the dual monitor set up?

If either one, then I would suspect that you need to find out if your video card will support dual monitor set up. And, then there is the question, "Did you have SLI in affect with the single monitor set up?"

The answer may not be in single monitor vs dual monitor but rather in your video card support and/or setup.

Taking Premiere Elements 12 out of the equation, it might be interesting to learn what NVIDIA Support Group has to say about

2x NVidia GTS 450 in SLI  using dual monitors.

We will  be looking forward to your results.

Thanks again for looking into the troubleshooting suggestions made.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
                          Safireranger Level 1

I have not tried switching which monitor I have connected. The profile I set up should have disabled SLI when running PrE. Looking at the NVidia control panel, all the setting remained the same, minus the dual monitor info. I'll also check with NVidia as I troubleshoot further. I'll post results as soon as I can.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Safireranger

Thanks.

We will be watching for further news when you have the time.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
                              Safireranger Level 1

After a long period, I wanted to update this thread. I now run a single video card, with 2 monitors. EXCEPT when I use PrE. Any time I have 2 monitors connected, I still get random crashes. Doesn't matter which monitor I use, it crashes either way.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 12 crashing in Windows 7
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Safireranger

Thanks for the update.

It would be interesting to learn if the Premiere Elements 12 version is the only version impacted by your video card and monitors in use.

If you look at the next version Premiere Elements tryout (probably to be released soon), please let us know the results when you get a chance.

ATR