3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2014 8:41 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes Canon HV30

Pacoinmass

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated to my problem.  I have been using PE 11 to download HD camcorder footage from my Canon HV30 camcorder to hard drive.  I've gone through about 15 tapes and all was going well.  Two days ago I went to download the next tape and PE no longer recognizes the Canon.

My setup:  Windows 7.  Canon HV30 connected to PC using Firewire cable.  Drivers updated, etc.  The cable appears fine (if I force PE to switch to "standard definition camcorder" the Canon appears as "Microsoft Camcorder" and PE will control the camcorder).  I have tried plugging/unplugging cable at various times; starting PE with and without camera plugged in; uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for the firewire card.  I am now at my wit's end.

The only change between when I last downloaded footage on Sunday and Wednesday was a MS Windows update and Quicktime update.  So I have uninstalled Quicktime.  Went through the same tests: start with/without Canon turned on; reboot, etc.  Nothing works and I'm at a loss.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes Canon HV30
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pacoinmass

First thing, quickly reinstall the latest verison of  QuickTime or use the version that was just updated. QuickTime is a requirement.

If you want the 7.7.4 prior version, please try the following link. But, for now I would go with the latest version of QuickTime 7.7.5.

http://www.oldapps.com/quicktime_player.php

Download and install HDVSplit and do a capture firewire with it. That will give you split clips MPEG2.m2t to put on your Timeline.

Here we are using it as a troubleshooting tool. If it works, it may become your permanent tool.

Did you remove the Windows Update?

In Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, where do you have the Captured Video and Captured Audio fills directed? How much free hard drive space is at that location?

Please review and let us know if any of the above had any impact on your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes Canon HV30
            Pacoinmass Level 1

A.T.,

Thanks for replying so quickly.  Fortunately it turned out to be more simple:  it turned out that the tape (and the next 3) were recorded in DV so Premier Elements was looking for a DV camera!  I didn't know that I would have to select a DV camera if the tape was DV.  (I must have taped one specific event over 4 tapes in DV for some reason.)  All is well...downloaded the footage and now downloading the rest in HDV.  Anyway, thanks for your prompt reply.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes Canon HV30
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pacoinmass

Thanks for the update with the great news. Always good when problem resolved. Good job.

It is important that the project preset agree with the capture source. So, now you are forewarned about the HDV data capture firewire settings.

Also keep an watch on Captured Video and Captured Audio in Scratch Disks preferences and the free space at the location to which they are directed.

But, all is sounding good. "All is well:" = do not mess with a good thing.

Continued success.

ATR