4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 11:07 PM by bhata

Chat support was useless... Windows Classic bad... CloudFront.net transmission

bhata Level 1

I had an issue with starting Premiere Elements 12 on a new Windows 7 system.  The Premiere window would not refresh.  When I move the window, only the bar at the bottom with Undo Redo, Organizer... would move/refresh.  Moving another window over the Premiere window would refresh it so I could see the close button.

After discovering that the only support is through Chat, I contacted them, The only thing they said is to update the video card driver.  I said that I had the latest from the manufacturer.  He said

"... as I said earlier for AMD cards you would need to contact them, it is not an issue with Adobe product and we can't help much in that"

After many hours of testing, I tracked the problem with the desktop theme set to Windows Classic.  By changing from Classic to an Aero Theme, the Premiere window now displays correctly.

My other issue has to do with Premiere flooding my internet.  It seems that it is transmitting/receiving data from cloudfront.net which is very disturbing.  I did find a possible solution at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1286200 but I have not yet tried the fix.

• 1. Re: Chat support was useless... Windows Classic bad... CloudFront.net transmission
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bhata

Great job of troubleshooting your Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit) display/refresh issue. It is not unusual to be put through the latest version video card driver drill by Adobe or here (user to user). A while back we had an Premiere Elements user with very weird displays. The video card driver issue was really worked over. In the end, the culprit turned out to be one of the Windows 7 High Contrast Themes.

As for your second, still unsolved, issue, I have never run into that one

other issue has to do with Premiere flooding my internet.  It seems that it is transmitting/receiving data from cloudfront.net

That is an easy one to try to determine if the fix suggested in the Photoshop Elements Forum works for you.

Windows 7 64 bit

Local Disk C

Windows

System32

drivers

etc

and in the etc Folder is the hosts file.

Right click the hosts file, select Open, and then Notepad. (Make a backup copy and save it to the computer desktop first.)

The default hosts file looks like

hosts.JPG

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I would have to think about it some more before deciding on the appropriate entry to block those transmissions.

• 2. Re: Chat support was useless... Windows Classic bad... CloudFront.net transmission
            bhata Level 1

As for your second, still unsolved, issue, I have never run into that one

other issue has to do with Premiere flooding my internet.  It seems that it is transmitting/receiving data from cloudfront.net

That is an easy one to try to determine if the fix suggested in the Photoshop Elements Forum works for you.

<snip>

Please let us know the outcome.

Well, even though it's late and I'm tired I tested the hosts file change and it works!

Now after over a month with my new laptop (woo hoo!!!) all my issues are basically resolved and now I can get down to some real work!  No thanks to Adobe (dig...dig... dig...)

• 3. Re: Chat support was useless... Windows Classic bad... CloudFront.net transmission
              A.T. Romano Level 7

bhata

Congratulations on your success. Well done. Did the 127.0.0.1 static.photoshop.com do the job?

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 4. Re: Chat support was useless... Windows Classic bad... CloudFront.net transmission
                bhata Level 1
                Congratulations on your success. Well done. Did the 127.0.0.1 static.photoshop.com do the job?

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

Yes, it did do the job. 

Not understanding why use static.photoshop.com instead of cloudfront.net, I did a test using cloudfront.net and it didn't supress the access to the internet.  Hopefully it won't affect anything else.

Thanks for the support!