14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2014 10:03 PM by A.T. Romano

Help with problems burning dvd!

dansarsandra

I have problem burning my project in PE11. My project is a mix of avchd-files, mp3 and Windows media files. I'm trying to burn it on a 25GB bluray disc but it stops on 99% all the time even if I wait several hours. What should I do?

• 1. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Dansarsandra,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you have posted to the FAQ sub-forum, where few will see your post. I will Move it out to the main Premiere Elements forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Moved to Premiere Elements Forum]

• 2. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now that we have your post where it belongs, and where many others will see it, I have a few questions:

Do you have a Stop Marker at the end of the Timeline? If so, remove that, as it will cause problems.

I assume that you are at the stage of Burn to Disc for your BD. Is that correct?

Keep this in the back of your mind - MP3's can cause issues, and converting those to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit usually fixes those problems. However, one usually sees issues with MP3's as Transcode errors, before that 99% point, so I would not change any MP3's yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

dansarsandra

When you are doing your burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc and you are in the Blu-ray burn dialog (Blu-ray disc in the burner tray)

a. What does the Quality Area of the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate?

and

b. Do you have a check mark next to "Fit Content To Available Space"?

If the Space Required is 23 GB or less, then work with no check mark next to "Fit Content To Available Space".

Please refer to my following blog post for details related to this comment.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-blu-ray-burn-dialog-fit-content-to.html

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...If you are doing Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, you do not want to be using stop markers anywhere in the project. Those stop markers are not recognized at playback of that end product disc (Premiere Elements any version).

• 4. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
                dansarsandra Level 1

I have removed all stop markers from the project.

It says 14,62 GB and 20,19 Mbit/s

I don't have a checkmark next to fit content.

It stops burning at 22% and says convertingfault.

What should I do?

Is it because of the mp3:s? Does it have to be in wav?

• 5. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

danasandra,

Thank you for reporting on the removal of the Stop Markers.

Since PrE uses a 2-Pass Transcode, 22% of the full operation would be at about 44% of the first Pass, the one that gathers information on the Clips on your Timeline. I would study your Timeline from about 40% of your total Duration, just a bit before the 1/2 way point, and look for several things:

1. Are there any gaps in the Video, that are not covered by other Video (could be PiP's, or Picture in Picture Videos, Titles, or Still Images)?
                  2. Any oddd Clips at about that point? Say you have mostly MTS AVCHD Video, but at about that point, you have a MOV file?
                  3. Do you have any MP3 Audio Clips at about that point?
                  4. Do you have any overly-large Still Images on the Timeline - overly-large being much larger than 2000 x 1500 pixels?

While not a complete list of possible issues, those are some of the main ones.

Please let us know what is on your Timeline, starting with about the 40% point on.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more about your Timeline.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

dansarsandra

Thanks for the reply. In view of your "converting fault" error message, I think that your first impression troubleshooting strategy is good in targeting the mp3 files. Are they from iTunes by any chance?  Any Digital Rights Management involved? What I would do is to convert them to .wav in iTunes

In iTunes, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General Preferences dialog.

In the General Preferences dialog, click on the Import Settings button.

In the Import Settings dialog that opens, go to Import Using and set that field for "WAV Encoder".

Close out of there.

Back in iTunes, right click your music, and select Create WAV Version.

Copy the .wav created to the computer desktop, and, from there, import that into Premiere Elements with its Add Media/Files and Folders.

If any problems adding files to an existing Timeline, hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you drag the clip into its place on the Timeline.

If that does not resolve the issue, then we can explore other troubleshooting strategy.

Side Note....

I cannot confirm the prior "Since PrE uses a 2-Pass Transcode". The export to file choices include options for

CBR

VBR, 1 Pass

VBR, 2 Pass

Often, if not always, the default is VBR, 1 Pass

And, in the burn to disc, a video variable bitrate is used but there is no way that I can see the user can know that.

ATR

• 7. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
                      dansarsandra Level 1

My project is a danceshow with my students.

Because of technical problems with the videosound I have been forced to insert the songs (mp3:s) manually and extract the sound from the dances.

I have also in eight places inserted slideshows with music (Windows media file) and avchd videos of the students talking.

My project is 1 hour and 25 minutes long.

From about 32 to 48 minutes there is a mp3 to a dance, a slideshow (wmf), a mp3 to a dance, a mp3 to dance, a slideshow, a mp3 to dance.

All of the mp3:s are bought in iTunes and then converted into mp3:s using Switch Sound File Converter.

Do I need to change all of the mp3:s into wav? There are about 24...... :(

• 8. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

dansarsandra

All of the mp3:s are bought in iTunes and then converted into mp3:s using Switch Sound File Converter.

Do I need to change all of the mp3:s into wav? There are about 24

Because of the issue that you present, I would encourage you to convert your .mp3 files to .wav in iTunes. It is a quick and easy process.

In iTunes, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General Preferences dialog.

In the General Preferences dialog, click on the Import Settings button.

In the Import Settings dialog that opens, go to Import Using and set that field for "WAV Encoder".

Close out of there.

Back in iTunes, right click your music, and select Create WAV Version.

Copy the .wav created to the computer desktop, and, from there, import that into Premiere Elements with its Add Media/Files and Folders.

If any problems adding files to an existing Timeline, hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you drag the clip into its place on the Timeline.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 9. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
                          dansarsandra Level 1

I have now replaced all mp3:s with wav.

When I try to burn it it stops at coding at 99%...

• 10. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

dansarsandra

Thanks for the update. Very disappointing that the mp3 to .wav did not resolve the problem under the circumstances.

So it would appear that my 2 most likely candidates for causing the problem

a. mp3 to .wav

b. not check mark next to "Fit Contents to Available Space" in the burn dialog

are not it.

When you say that it stops at coding at 99%, what area is that

Encoding menu 1 of ,,,

or..

Encoding media

and not

Compiling media

Burn disc 1 of 1?

Has an inspection of the expanded Timeline content revealed any irregularies in placements of titles, transitions, or audio?

What about the disc menu? Have you customized that and if so to what extent? How many menu markers do you have, how many menu menu pages, and how many scene menu pages? Which disc menu theme are you using?

Depending on how things go, it probably will come to making copies of the project, and, using the copies, systematically removing types of files to try to identify the offending file(s).

ATR

• 11. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

With the hang coming at 99%, I wonder if you have a Stop Marker at the end of the Timeline. If so, please remove that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Back in post 4, dansarsandra wrote at the start of that post

I have removed all stop markers from the project.

ATR

• 13. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that.

I would also suggest that the OP look at my Reply 5, as many of those suggestions have not been addressed, as the thread was dragged off-topic.

Potenial causes were listed there, only to be ignored, as the direction was taken in a different direction.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Help with problems burning dvd!
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

The thread was not dragged off-topic. It stayed on topic with what was a very justified first line of troubleshooting approach in view of all those .mp3 music files and the converting error that was presenting. Now that the .mp3 factor has apparently been ruled out, other possibilities are being explored, including the ones that I made in post 10.

In case you missed it, please check out my post 6 where I discussed this "first line" approach that dansarsandra was thinking about using anyway.

We will be watching for dansarandra's progress and supporting the ID to a successful conclusion with information that continues to remain on topic and appropriate.

ATR