9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2014 6:56 AM by ColoradoGeorge

"Text" Crashes when adding new captions; disconnects from "Styles," etc.

ColoradoGeorge Level 1

Running Windows 8.1, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 display adapter, 32GB RAM, 7TB of HDD Space, i7 Intel CPU, etc.

Application: Adobe Premiere Elements 12

After selecting "Text -> New Text -> Default Text" from the menu bar with the idea of adding a caption to a video clip, it appears that after 1 or 2 successful attempts that the text module disconnects from the style module; "Absalom" becomes the defaulted font, a series of "UUU UUU UUU" characters appears in the caption overlay screen, and no changes can be made, i.e., I cannot change the text, nor can I pick a new style to match previous styles already in use!

Sure could use some help with this...I've posted several items so far and have received no help, no fixes, for any of these pleas for help. So far, I've experienced this is typical for Adobe, and that if we want any "fixes" to problems associated with their apps, we're supposed to wait for and purchase the next updates?

Dissillusioned!

George

• 1. Re: "Text" Crashes when adding new captions; disconnects from "Styles," etc.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Let us focus on this Premiere Elements 12 workspace issue.

1. Please review the usual drill

a. Latest version of QuickTime installed

b. Running program Run As Administrator and from User Account with Administrative Privileges

c. Your video card/graphics card driver version is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card/grapics card

d. Computer is optimized

with all of "1" given....

2. Delete the Premiere Elements 12 Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. For Windows 8.1 64 bit, the path to it is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path. If you do not find the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, then you have gone off the path. Each of those entries represents a Folder. Do not mistake the Premiere Elements 12.0 Folder in the Adobe Folder for the Premiere Elements Folder in which a 12.0 Folder exists.

If you need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

I took at quick look at an issue that you presented in another thread regarding the Elements Organizer 12. Has that been resolved. If not, we can discuss that matter in the other thread next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: "Text" Crashes when adding new captions; disconnects from "Styles," etc.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

George,

When the troubleshooting steps are completed per ATR's instructions, you might want to see this thread for the PrE 12 Styles issue: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1417542?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: "Text" Crashes when adding new captions; disconnects from "Styles," etc.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Just a comment. To date I have not seen any reports of what you describe being associated with the known Styles issue ONLY in the Expert workspace of Premiere Elements 12.

After we find the cause of what you are describing, the Styles issue (much different in character) should still exist when trying to edit Styles in the Expert workspace. But it does not present as your description

After selecting "Text -> New Text -> Default Text" from the menu bar with the idea of adding a caption to a video clip, it appears that after 1 or 2 successful attempts that the text module disconnects from the style module; "Absalom" becomes the defaulted font, a series of "UUU UUU UUU" characters appears in the caption overlay screen, and no changes can be made, i.e., I cannot change the text,

The last part of that above quote

nor can I pick a new style to match previous styles already in use!

would seem a secondary issue.

Please indicate if your issue exists in both the Expert and Quick workspaces of the program.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: "Text" Crashes when adding new captions; disconnects from "Styles," etc.
                ColoradoGeorge Level 1

Thank you for your response! MUCH appreciated!

Additional fodder re this problem:

1)      I’ve installed two 250GB SSD drives on this system, one is the C: drive, the 2nd is the D: drive.

2)      I began installing ALL applications to their default locations (C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86).

3)      I ran out of room on the C: drive, so began migrating applications to the D: drive, as I’ve done forever in the past.

a.       Uninstall applications from C: drive

b.      New install on D: drive

4)      Tested apps against new installations, seemed to work OK.

Now…having reviewed your suggestions, with all implemented, I’ve discovered the following:

1)      The path “Local Disc (C) Users->Owner->AppData->Roaming->Adobe->Premiere Elements 12.0->12.0” contains NO “Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs” file.

2)      Within that folder, there exists only a “logs” folder, and a “Trace Database.txt” file.

Thank you for also having taken a look at the Elements Organizer issue as well! Update:

1)      BEFORE migrating the Adobe applications from the C: drive to the D: drive, and while still having some room left on the C: drive, I had the problems as indicated earlier. My first action was to move the catalog file over to my “E:” drive where there was plenty of room. This action did not solve the problem.

2)      AFTER migrating the Adobe applications to the D: drive, I easily reconnected to the catalog file located on the “E:” drive.

3)      The same problem exists while trying to “import,”  ID and create thumbnails.

a.       Import only 1 file…process is OK.

b.      Import 100 files, Organizer chokes along the way…and may either:

i.      Crash completely

ii.      Import all files, creating a “space” for them in the display window, but no thumbnails.

iii.      Import all files, create space for them, create a few thumbnails, then crash.

It took me several days to “import” 4,200+  *.m2ts video files into the Organizer. Upon completion, it appears that all is functional with the Organizer app. Must play with it some more to make sure.

Again, thank you for your help!

George

• 5. Re: "Text" Crashes when adding new captions; disconnects from "Styles," etc.
                  ColoradoGeorge Level 1

Bill;

YES! This link (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1417542?tstart=0) appears to define the same problem I’m having with APE12! I should be so bold as to think I should be using the “Expert” tab, and never gave any thought to the possible differences between “Expert” and “Quick” tabs! Will have to experiment with this to see if it’s so!

Thanks!

George

• 6. Re: "Text" Crashes when adding new captions; disconnects from "Styles," etc.
                    ColoradoGeorge Level 1

Thanks again for feedback! Will experiment to see if this is so. Note: Didn’t experience this problem during the beginning stages of video build on the timeline. Only after having created around 20 minutes or so of timeline material did this problem expose itself. Several text “caption titles” had been successfully created with no attending problems. Only AFTER this point did these problems begin to manifest themselves as a loss of “connectivity” between the “Text” tab and the “Styles” tab, and the attending inability to have maintained this functionality. I had to start from SCRATCH each time to recreate the captions after this point!

Thanks! Will let you know what I discover!

George

• 7. Re: "Text" Crashes when adding new captions; disconnects from "Styles," etc.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

George

In reply to your post 4....

If you cannot find the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and are finding Trace Database instead, I suspect that you have gone off the path cited and overlooked by path warning

Do not mistake the Premiere Elements 12.0 Folder in the Adobe Folder for the Premiere Elements Folder in which a 12.0 Folder exists.

You have gone into the Premiere Elements 12 Folder in the Adobe Folder and not the Premiere Elements Folder in the Adobe Folder and then into the 12.0 Folder in the Premiere Elements Folder. Please give that another look.

As the the present status of the Elements Organizer....

I would have left Premiere Elements and its Elements Organizer on the Local Disk C and moved other applications elsewhere to make room for Premiere Elements on the Local Disk C. What is done is done and if you have a stable Elements Organizer, we are reluctant to take on 4200+ imports into the Elements Organizer unless obsolutely necessary.

Besides the Premiere Elements 12 Editor Settings File (Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file), there is also an Elements Organizer Settings File (psa.prf file) that can be deleted to get new settings file for each.

Please review.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: "Text" Crashes when adding new captions; disconnects from "Styles," etc.
                        ColoradoGeorge Level 1

ATR:

OK…took another look, and you are correct. I found the file “Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs” file this time, by path:

Local Disk (C:) -> Users -> Owner -> AppData -> Roaming -> Adobe -> Premiere Elements -> 12

Will attempt building another video with this file having been removed and see what happens. A real subtle difference in pathname, for sure!

BTW…I opened up the last video where I’d experienced the problems, and added a caption via the “Quick” tab environment. Was able to add caption, style, and effects with no problems. I didn’t try, however, to accomplish the same in “Expert” mode this time. I did notice that in the past by shutting down APD 12, then re-opening the app….that I was able to crank off at least one more title (most of the time) prior to the disconnect between text and style functionality occurred. Will keep an eye on this as I progress with a new video.

I have experienced over the years that when software authors do NOT pay heed to proper file pathing (absolute Vs. relative), that one can experience a multitude of problems by locating file installations in places other than their defaults…typically C:\Program files. I’m so hoping that this isn’t the case with Adobe products! All other apps so far seem to function just fine after being installed in their new home on my D: drive.

While I have the catalog backed up twice to different locations…I am at this time a bit reluctant to have the catalog existing once again  back onto the C: drive. This is simply a data file (?), and should live anywhere in harmony with the actual application that generated it (Organizer)? I have given thought to moving Adobe back onto the C: drive…but so far all works relatively OK with it installed on the D: drive with the exception of the caption issues. The Organizer wouldn’t work in either location as mentioned earlier without malfunctions.

Also: The organizer works just fine with still images…JPG, etc., the problem seems to be prevalent only when importing large numbers of AVCHD video files.

Again…thanks! Will update as I build new video!

George

• 9. Re: "Text" Crashes when adding new captions; disconnects from "Styles," etc.
                          ColoradoGeorge Level 1

Yesterday I built a short, 5-minute video implementing captions, styles, etc. After having deleted the aforementioned “Pref” file, and during the build, I experienced the very same issues working in the “Expert” mode with creating video captions as I’d mentioned in the beginning.

George