7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 8:56 AM by bogiesan

render time taking 1 hour for 4 seconds

LilTunchiB8

I am trying to render a 4 second clip of 3d text doing a 360° turn, I export in H.264 and have okay computer specs.

3.04 GHz Quad core

12 gigs of ram

I'm new to this and want to start exporting more video for a project, but I can't do it with this render time.

Brandon

• 1. Re: render time taking 1 hour for 4 seconds
          bogiesan Level 4

Your problem is the H.264.

Don't render to H.264.

REnder from AE to a conventional, frame-based codec and then use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode to H.264.

• 2. Re: render time taking 1 hour for 4 seconds
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

That is not at all an unusual render time for 3D, in After Effects or any other 3D application.

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: render time taking 1 hour for 4 seconds
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your 3d text was created with the ray-traced renderer in After Effects (and you don't have an NVIDIA GPU that meets certain criteria), then it will take a long time. If you find yourself doing a lot of this kind of work, I would highly recommend Element 3d. It's a fairly cheap third-party plugin that renders 3d stuff very quickly. Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator is another popular choice.

• 4. Re: render time taking 1 hour for 4 seconds
                LilTunchiB8 Level 1

I have a Nvidia GTX 675M with 2GB GDDR5, I'm almost certain it should be able to process the render. Thank you for the advise on other software!

• 5. Re: render time taking 1 hour for 4 seconds
                  LilTunchiB8 Level 1

What would be a conventional, frame-based codec? Thank you so much for the help!

• 6. Re: render time taking 1 hour for 4 seconds
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LilTunchiB8 wrote:

What would be a conventional, frame-based codec? Thank you so much for the help!

Uncompressed AVI is one, but the file sizes are going to surprise you. Quicktime with the PNG codec is usually smaller, but still huge. Quicktime with the PhotoJPEG codec is even smaller. Some popular choices that are even smaller are DNxHD and Cineform (either MOV or AVI). They're still going to be much larger than the H.264, but that's okay!

For many (most) professionals, the usual workflow is to render a lossless file (or nearly lossless) out of AE and then use the Adobe Media Encoder or Premiere to create the final deliverable. There are several reasons, but one is that AE is not very good at rendering h.264 files (and there are some very technical reasons for this). Anyway, the AE team deprecated the h.264 rendering in the latest version of After Effects because of it.

In your case, I would suggest rendering into a TIFF sequence (or something similar). This way, if there is a crash or something, you can pick your render up at the last frame it rendered rather than having to start at the beginning. I always do this when I'm doing 3d work and the render is going to be over an hour. Then you can bring that TIFF sequence into Premiere as if it's a video file, put your audio and everything to it, and send your final H.264 render from Premiere.

• 7. Re: render time taking 1 hour for 4 seconds
                      bogiesan Level 4

LilTunchiB8 wrote:

H.264 and similar variants are highly compressed. You're asking AE to render the frames of your animation sequence, hold onto them and then process them, quite heavily, into a temporal compression format with very good motion compensation. That nice picture comes at the cost of stupid long processing time. So you're trying to force AE to do two things and one of them requires lots of frames to be finished before the compression can occur. I use ProRes 4444 when I need alpha and ProRes 422 LT for 90% of my other rendering from AE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/What-Is-.../What-is-H.264-74735.aspx