7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 1:14 PM by VDOSurfer

Getting a media pending image when I open my .pre file

desertdiana

Is this happening to anyone else?  It is an image with a yellow background that say media pending in many languages. Flashes on the my screen for about 2 seconds.  I had to record a vid of it because I can't hit the capture quick enough.

Thanks for your help,

Diana

• 1. Re: Getting a media pending image when I open my .pre file
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you provide us with more information, please?

1. What version of PrE?
          2. What OS version are you running it on?
          3. Can you give us info on your computer, paying special attention to the I/O (Input/Output), i.e. your hard drives (HDD's), their size, speed, connection type, and how they are used by PrE, such as location of Project, media, Scratch Disks, etc.?
          4. With the Media Pending, does the Project finally populate with the media, if you wait long enough?

That would be a good start.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Getting a media pending image when I open my .pre file
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's probably just loading slow if all else is working OK.

• 3. Re: Getting a media pending image when I open my .pre file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Diana

I have never run into the Media Pending responses in any of my Premiere Elements projects to date. As has been pointed out in another post of this thread, you appear to be encountering a slow load. That could be related to many factors including the properties of the storage site of the original.

It looks like you are opening an existing project, and it is this project.prel file, not a source media file, that is loading. What is the save location of this project.prel and what size is the project and the formats in its content? Where is the save location of the media that went into the project?

When you see this colorful display, do you note any indexing and/or conforming activities going on as evidenced by a progress bar at the lower right corner of the workspace. I do not see that detail in the sample video.

Please review.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Getting a media pending image when I open my .pre file
                desertdiana Level 1

Hi Bill, Peru Bob and  A.T.Romano,

I am new to Premire and video and not sure I no where to find all the information, but here is a couple of screenshots that could give you some insight into my computer.  I save the prel file in a dropbox folder.  Yes, the file does load and saves no problem, but it was a couple of days ago that this media pending image keeps popping up. 

Format consist of a video to start, then a series of stills with an audio file for the stills.  Total time is only about 8 minutes.  All source files are in the same dropbox folder.

Thank you so much for all your help................Diana

diana-system.png

scratch-disks.png

• 5. Re: Getting a media pending image when I open my .pre file
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

By dropbox folder... so you mean your files are "in the Cloud" ???

If yes, you REALLY need to have your project and media files on a local hard drive (internal 7200rpm is best)

While you may get things to work, Premiere Elements is not DESIGNED to run using files in your location, so it will not work consistently

• 6. Re: Getting a media pending image when I open my .pre file
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Diana

Thanks for the reply.

From your screenshot of the Scratch Disks locations, it appears that your project file (project.prel) is being saved in the 12.0 Folder at the default location on the Local Disk C, and there seems to be 743.3 GB free space there . Good.

In view of my interpretation of the screenshot information, I am not seeing what you are saying when you write

I save the prel file in a dropbox folder

Right now, your screenshot is telling me that you have the project.prel file and its associated files (except Media Cache) in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0.

These are the items that I would ask for your consideration

1. Where are the source media saved to? Are you saying that they are in the same 12.0 Folder as the project.prel file?

(This should be clearer once you tell us how the "Dropbox Folder" fits into this organization.

2. Please set the Media Cache in preferences to Same As Project to match the other categories. (That is going to involve changing Custom to Same  As Project.)

3. Determine if the Media Pending message is still part of the scenario.

4. Open a new project, add some media, save/close the project. When you re-open it, do you get the Media Pending message.

We will be watching for your results. If you have any questions and need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks again for the very helpful screenshot.

ATR

• 7. Re: Getting a media pending image when I open my .pre file
                      VDOSurfer Level 3

This image flashes only for a few seconds and then is replaced by the actual media that is supposed to be there in the timeline. This is the expected behavior. I can also tell you while this happens, you can see a set of text in the bottom left of your PrE app that says "Relinking media x/y" or something lie that. This happens when you load the project and the app tries to "reconnect" the media to those in the timeline. This can take a while depending on the number of video/still/audio assets that you may have and on the speed of the data I/O. In your case this is really fast. Nothing to worry here..