13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 10:34 AM by Claudio González

Get well Big John

Jay Chevako Level 3

We need you here to answer the flood of pagemaker questions.
      Jay

• 1. Re: Get well Big John
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

But we have Jay, who can surely cope with one question every two/three of weeks...

• 2. Re: Get well Big John

Sorry, it seems I misunderstood your message. Is anything the matter with JD?

• 3. Re: Get well Big John
              BigJohnD Level 3

Thanks for your your kind words, but I'm fine.  In fact, BJD aka the Bionic Man is going to be upgraded!!

I've had a lot of hospital visits, blood tests, echo-cardiograms, ECG and an angiogram because of irregular heart rhythms.

Turns out my pacemaker has a minor fault and is causing the arrhythmia.  So I'm having a hardware and software upgrade in the near future, probably at LHCH.  They're probably going to add a third wire to another chamber of my heart and then either program in less agressive settings or fit a new pacemaker if the current can't be adapted.  I'm of to LHCH on Monday and should find out more there.

My coronary arteries are clear and of Mersey tunnel dimensions and as the surgeon reported: "Heart normal - no clinical failure".  Which is very good news.

I've also had my daily cocktail of coloured tablets significantly reduced, and that in itself makes me feel better.  Spironolactone is nasty and big doses of Felodipine (Cardioplen) were doing me no good.

So we're off to celebrate St David's Day! 

Dydd Dewi Sant! Cymru am byth!!

• 4. Re: Get well Big John
                ReneGnam

Well that's good news!

PageMaker is kaput, but

PaceMaker is new and improved.

Hope you're feeling dandy, and thank you for years of fine help. (BTW, Serif Page Plus is still doing well for me.)

• 5. Re: Get well Big John
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I would go with clean install, John. These upgrades can get messy.

All the best from this side of the pond!

• 6. Re: Get well Big John
                    Jay Chevako Level 3

Good to hear. Stay well and keep those batteries charged!
                    Jay

• 7. Re: Get well Big John

Well, I sincerely hope that you could celebrate Dewi Sant's day with something more appealing than the cocktail of pills that hunts us when we are past 60! And I have no doubt that he will make sure that everything  runs smoothly with your operation. And if one tenth of what the LHCH site says is true, you will certainly be in good hands.

Hir yn byw ein John da!

(Blame uncle Google for any translation errors in this sentece ).

• 8. Re: Get well Big John

Well, at least Dewi Sant gave you another reason for celebrating today (it's still before 9 pm around here), by helping your beloved reds getting an easy 3-0. Or perhaps he was just taking care of your heart by making it an easy victory?

• 9. Re: Get well Big John

Pob lwc!

• 10. Re: Get well Big John
                            BigJohnD Level 3

Thank you all for your warm thoughts.

I'm sorry I've haven't replied sooner, but we had a good night last night thanks to several pints of Hereford PA from the Wye Valley Brewery.

The "fresh install" is indeed my preferred choice.  Hopefully I'll find out more tomorrow at the pacemaker clinic, who should be able to give my cardiologist the information he needs.

For the not-so-squeamish, here's a selfie of my right wrist with the pneumatic tourniquet on it to staunch the flow of blood from the artery where they inserted the capillary up my arm and into my heart. A harmless dye was inserted up the tube which can be seen in 3-D via two x-ray machines hangin off a giant gimbal arrangement.  Clever stuff.

The little tube hanging off it can be attached to a small syringe to increase or reduce the air pressure in the tourniquet.  It's a very neat device.

20140228_153204.jpg

Time for bed...

• 11. Re: Get well Big John

Anything that prevents opening one's chest is not only neat, but a blessing.

Here is trusting you'll soon have good news to post.

• 12. Re: Get well Big John
                                BigJohnD Level 3

Quick update:

All the technical stuff's sorted.  I just need to see my doctor to refer me to the surgeon, hopefully Dr Rao.

It'll be a new super deluxe pacemaker with a third wire going round to the back of my heart.  Everything is stable, so no urgency.  The current battery is good for 2 - 2½ years.

• 13. Re: Get well Big John

Very good news, John. I knew good old Dewi Sant wouldn't let you (or us) down.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: adding a missing "k".