9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 10:27 AM by Bill Gehrke

speed and size of files

hurleyvcr Level 1

Lots of discussions on how to setup your drives for PP and Ae but I think if an example with a given project with a chart showing the speed and size of disks required for

Projects

Cache

Scratch files

Global cache for AE

Media

Exports ect..

As it would be helpful for people to decide for themselves what disks they need ..beit ssd or hard drives and the size they need to accomplish there own unique project.

If they were listed say in order from largest to smallest disc size required and fastest to slowest for each of the above listed, this would definitely help me.

Some people only work with very small projects once every few weeks and don't require a huge drive for media storage for example and others might eat up 2 or 3 Tb per week.

A chart would be a common denominator for everyone and a clear picture of what might be required for them. 

• 1. Re: speed and size of files
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far a size goes there are way to many personal variables to give you sizing.  But my current personal preference for all the projects that I do big and small is have all the project on a minimum of about 500 GB  on two RAID 0 Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB devices in RAID 0.  Since it is RAID 0, I then move partial projects to my intermediate archive drive and when finished to the final offline archive.  All my drives are on mobile carriers, I would estimate currently I have ~40 TB offline.  This is a good solution for me as I rarely reuse any footage.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 2. Re: speed and size of files
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Some people only work with very small projects once every few weeks and don't require a huge drive for media storage for example and others might eat up 2 or 3 Tb per week.

And that's why a recommendation can't be given.  Each editor will have to decide based on his own needs.

The only pointer which can be offered is that generally speaking, the Media drive should probably be the largest.  There may be exceptions, but I think for most editors, that will hold true.

• 3. Re: speed and size of files
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jim Simon wrote:

The only pointer which can be offered is that generally speaking, the Media drive should probably be the largest.

Also, make sure that the drives are never more than half full if not SSDs.

• 4. Re: speed and size of files
                Jim_Simon Level 8

That would be a rather pointless waste of space.  Even slowing down to half speed, a modern drive can easily still support multiple streams of today's compressed media.

• 5. Re: speed and size of files
                  cc_merchant Level 4

It appears not everybody agrees with this blanket statement:

Jims claim.png

• 6. Re: speed and size of files
                    hurleyvcr Level 1

Ok,I guess what iam trying to ask is if I had a project that is for example avchd 1080i,1 hour on the time line with some music added and a few transitions. nothing over the top.burned to blu disk...Done!

What size of files could I expect to see generated from this project in the follwing folders(listed at top of this thread) and any other files that I may have missed.

I hope this makes sense.

• 7. Re: speed and size of files
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Your media will take up roughly 13 GB/hour of footage.  Everything else will take up less space.

• 8. Re: speed and size of files
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I'll say this.  I have no trouble running four streams of 50 Mb/s H.264 media from a single, slightly older hard drive (Spinpoint F1) that's about 75% full.

And I mean that's the only hard drive in the entire computer.

• 9. Re: speed and size of files
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just checked a single camera Sony AVCHD project that I have was 1 hour 18 minutes and it did have probably a gigabyte of photos and other miscellaneous but the total disk space was about 45 GB.  This is very personal workflow style dependent.  That in my case includes the 13 GB mts original, a MPEG m2v file of 14GB plus a 15 GB Bluray iso image.  I always make an iso image to simplify easily making more copies.