7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2014 10:19 AM by the_wine_snob

What Programs provide required codecs for importing videos created by Premiere 11?

Cburon

I had to reinstall my premiere elements 11 on a new drive. When I try to import the videos I created with the same premiere elements program I get an error message that says "this type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed." Since I used premiere Elements to create it, it must be supported so my guess is my new drive needs a program with the required "codec" does anyone know what program that would be???

• 1. Re: What Programs provide required codecs for importing videos created by Premiere 11?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements comes bundled with a number of codecs, and your operating system likely has some standard ones. And, if you've got Qucktime installed (whiich you should have) there are some added by it too. Premiere Elements will install a few  more as needed.

What format of video are you trying to load and what model of camcorder did it come from?

• 2. Re: What Programs provide required codecs for importing videos created by Premiere 11?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>required codec is not installed

These links will tell you how to find out what codec is actually inside your files

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 3. Re: What Programs provide required codecs for importing videos created by Premiere 11?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cburon

Please confirm that the issue presented does not involve import of source media from a camcorder but rather import of a video file that was exported from Premiere Elements 11 as a file saved to your computer hard drive.

It does not always hold that "if I can export a format from Premiere Elements 11, I should be able to import it in Premiere Elements 11." A case in point...you can export Timeline content to .flv but you cannot import a .flv file into Premiere Elements (any version) whether that .flv file was produced by Premiere Elements 11 or any other non Adobe video editor.

So, it would seem that the critical information that you need to supply to SG is that which details your Premiere Elements 11 export choice and its export settings.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: What Programs provide required codecs for importing videos created by Premiere 11?
                Cburon Level 1

Thank You

First of all I am admittedly not very computer literate so let me see if I can answer with anything that will help

The file was created and saved to my old hardrive in my Premiere Elements program when the hardrive started having problems all of my files including the one i am trying to open were saved to my new hard drive. at the end of the file it says ".prel ". I then re installed Premiere elements. When I try to import this file (which was a video created on my original premiere elements program) it first loads and then gives me the error message.

SO I am assuming the answer would be it was a file saved to my computer hard drive.

I hope that helps

• 5. Re: What Programs provide required codecs for importing videos created by Premiere 11?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Cburon

Thanks for the additional information and the clarification on the file that is failing to open.

According to what you wrote, you have a Premiere Elements 11 project file (project.prel) that was created before you were forced to make some adjustments in the computer environment.

Now in the after, you find that you cannot open this Premiere Elements 11 project file in Premiere Elements 11.

Initial factor that you need to rule in or out is the integrity of this problem project file. In all that went on, is there any possibility that the source media that went into that project did not remain in the location that they were in when they were first imported into this project?

When you import media into a project, what you have in the project are not originals but copies of the originals that have save location(s) on the hard drive. The program's copies must maintain a link back to those originals. If the originals are moved, deleted, renamed (files/folders), then the program is damaged. Typical to this type of situation

a. colorful Media Offline messages in the program if it opens

b. "Where is the file....?" messages and media reconnects before you are let into the program

c. sometimes the program will not open at all.

Do you see anything like that going on?

One of the reasons for seeing

this type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed

can be trying to import one project file (project.prel) into another. Consider, if you say

When I try to import the videos I created

If your files have a .prel file extension, they are not your movies, but rather Premiere Elements 11 project files (or possible old Encoding Files with .prel file extensions, or AutoSaves with .prel file extensions).

Please review. If questions or need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: What Programs provide required codecs for importing videos created by Premiere 11?
                    Cburon Level 1

I believe you are absolutely correct. When I made the video I first imported the pictures  and music from files on my comuter into adobe photoshop and then added and/ transferred all of those to Premiere elements to create the video. Sadly when I re-loaded my adobe photoshop back onto my new hard drive it did not pick up any of the original photos music or artwork I had saved in that program either.

Do you know of anyway to do this? ALL of my other document, art, quickbooks programs etc. just automatically found and reloaded all of my original documents but adobe photoshop and premiere elements did not???

• 7. Re: What Programs provide required codecs for importing videos created by Premiere 11?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Cburon,

With regards to your .PREL (a Premiere Elements Project file), if you Open that in PrE (not Import it), the old Project should open. However, as ATR mentions, if the media files (your Video, music, Still Images, SFX, etc.) have been Moved, Renamed, or Deleted, PrE will ask "Where is file ____ ?" At that point, one is given the option to relink to those files. This Tips & Tricks article goes into more detail on locating those "missing" files: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/990503?tstart=30

Good luck, and if that is not working for you, do not hesitate to ask for additional clarification.

Hunt

PS - to get a better understanding on what a PREL file is, and what it is not, see this Tips & Tricks article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/477920?tstart=30