1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 1, 2014 12:29 PM by kglad

Make Hit Area of Button Smaller?

CeliaCilia

Hi, I'm very new to Flash and have a project due on Tuesday that requires me to make an interactive brain. The last week, I've been trying to make rollover buttons that highlight certain parts of the brain. I have seven different buttons in total. However, each time I try to scroll over one, only the topmost layer lights up. The button is also only triggered by being on the stage rather than being on just the button area. I have tried to make the hit area smaller, though for some reason that doesn't work each time I do it. The only time a button will work is if the layer on top is made invisible. Is this sort of thing even possible to do? Sorry if I'm asking a stupid/easy question. If anyone has some kind of script I could use or would know how to solve the problem, I would be really greatful. I can also provide pictures or the file if needed. Again, I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question.

Some other information:

I'm using Flash CS4

I'm using Action Script 3.0

I'm using a mac

Some pictures:

Basic Image:

Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 12.11.40 PM.png

Appearance after Rolling over a button:

Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 12.11.43 PM.png

And an example of another button:

Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 12.12.59 PM.png

• 1. Re: Make Hit Area of Button Smaller?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if there is overlap among the button hit areas (eg, mouseing over the region of the pons triggers more than 1 button over state), you'll need to rethink your approach.

otherwise, if none of the hit areas overlap, you should have no problem.  but be sure you define hit areas for each button and you may not want that to be the same as the over/down frame.