5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2014 12:59 PM by cc_merchant

Pls review new PC hardware spec

cfg_2451 Level 2

I've got to build a new PC. It has to be multipurpose, but the most difficult thing it will have to deal with is Adobe Production Premium CS6. For various reasons, I'm not likely to go to CC, so this is a CS6 build. The other point of emphasis is that it has to be quiet. Not completely silent, but quiet.

I've spend days and days going over all kinds of sources, from the VideoGuys DIY10 specs, to Harm Millaard's amazingly detailed work. Been throught the power supply calculators, etc. And this is what I came up with for 1-Mar-2014 that fits under my $2000 USD budget:

Case:  Antec P183v3

PSU:  Seasonic x-850

Mboard:  Asus Z87-Expert (for Thunderbolt support, might be useful in future? IDK)

CPU:  Intel i7 4770K Haswell

CPU cooler:  Zalman CNPS10X Optima (fits in case with about 2/3 inch to spare)

Memory:  16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 (might go 32GB right away, IDK)

Graphics:  Asus GeForce GTX-660 (the Ti version if I can find it)

SSD boot disk:  SanDisk Extreme II 240GB SATA 6.0  (OS, programs)

HDD:  WD Black 1TB (sources and work files)

HDD:  WD Black 1TB (rendering output)

Blu-ray:  Pioneer DBR-209

Question 1: Thunderbolt support worth the money?

Question 2: Would it make better sense to use, say, a GTX-760? This would require doing the dance with the accepted_cards.txt file (or whatever it's called, I forget its name). But this card wasn't to my knowledge tested with CS6, so I may or may not get shaky performance, especially during rendering, yes?

Question 3: Windows 8.1? Win7 is such a stable platform I hate to leave it. Has Adobe tested CS6 with Win8 at all?

Any comments, suggestions, etc. welcome. I haven't bought anything, so it's all subject to change as I learn more.

• 1. Re: Pls review new PC hardware spec
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>SSD boot disk:  SanDisk

Samsung 840 Pro is recommended more often

• 2. Re: Pls review new PC hardware spec
            cc_merchant Level 4

Question 1: Thunderbolt support worth the money?

If it comes with the motherboard, yes. It is the only option to get better transfer rates than with on-board raids and saves you from a costly dedicated raid-controller, which reduces video card performance by around 10 - 15%.

Question 2: Would it make better sense to use, say, a GTX-760? This would require doing the dance with the accepted_cards.txt file (or whatever it's called, I forget its name). But this card wasn't to my knowledge tested with CS6, so I may or may not get shaky performance, especially during rendering, yes?

Definitely. It is faster, not overkill and consumes less power.

Question 3: Windows 8.1? Win7 is such a stable platform I hate to leave it. Has Adobe tested CS6 with Win8 at all?

Go for Win8.1. It has been tested and works reliably. Win7 is EOL.

• 3. Re: Pls review new PC hardware spec
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Windows 8.1 is a pain learning it, but I now that I have conquered it, it is very good.  There are some good articles on how to make it look and act like Windows 7.  Also Harm has recently done a first cut at a "tuning manual" on his Tweakers Pages

• 4. Re: Pls review new PC hardware spec
                cfg_2451 Level 2

OK, I'll go with a GTX 760 board. Is there any reason (better rendering performance maybe?) to go with 4GB on-board DDR5 over the standard 2GB? And is there a prefered NVIDIA driver version for use with CS6?

On the boot drive front, I'm thinking maybe I should stay with a HDD. Say, a WD VelociRaptor, 10000rpm SATA 6.0, 64MB cache. Won't be as fast, but it's half the price, twice the capacity, and seems to be more reliable, both on the infant mortaility front and the longevity front. Any thoughts on that?

And win8. It (still) seems to be fairly widely reviled for desktop use. Y'all sure about this?

• 5. Re: Pls review new PC hardware spec
                  cc_merchant Level 4

OK, I'll go with a GTX 760 board. Is there any reason (better rendering performance maybe?) to go with 4GB on-board DDR5 over the standard 2GB?

No better performance. Only less chance of running out of VRAM. See Tweakers Page - What video card to use?

And is there a prefered NVIDIA driver version for use with CS6?

Generally the latest version.

On the boot drive front, I'm thinking maybe I should stay with a HDD. Say, a WD VelociRaptor, 10000rpm SATA 6.0, 64MB cache. Won't be as fast, but it's half the price, twice the capacity, and seems to be more reliable, both on the infant mortaility front and the longevity front. Any thoughts on that?

You won't need more than around 60 - 70 GB in the worst case on the boot disk. See Tweakers Page - Tuning Guide

And win8. It (still) seems to be fairly widely reviled for desktop use. Y'all sure about this?

Yeah.