9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 8:07 PM by station_two

Camera Raw isn't working.

Ty Howard

Hi there,

I just got my harddrive back from being recovered, which was a major bummer, so I had to reinstall all of my programs. I have CS4, reinstalled it, photoshop and bridge work fine, but when I went to open my RAW files I kept getting a message saying "Could not complete your request becuase Photoshop does not recognize this this type of file."

I thought this could be because I didn't have the latest version of ACR so I clicked on help then updates, and got another message saying that my updates cannot be determined. So I downloaded the update for ACR, I believe for CS4 the latest is 5.7, went to install it by double clicking on the Camera Raw Plug-in symbol, and I got the same "Could not complete your request becuase Photoshop does not recognize this this type of file."

Am I doing something wrong? How can this be fixed?

I appreciate all of the help in advanced.

Thank you,

Ty

• 1. Re: Camera Raw isn't working.
          Curt Y Level 7

What OS?

In PS if you click Help/about plugins/camerar raw what does it say.  Should be only one file there.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw isn't working.
            Ty Howard Level 1

I have a Mac that's running the latest version of Mavericks. there is only one file there.

• 3. Re: Camera Raw isn't working.
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

You started your post saying the drive had just been recovered.  Do these RAW files come from that recovered drive, or are they new files?   What is the file extension for these files, and do they have the right sort of ball park file size you'd expect?

You seem to be correct about 5.7 being the most up to date version of ACR for CS4

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Have you tried obvious things like restarting your computer?  Are you able to change and successfully save Preferences (i.e. do you have permissions issues?)

• 4. Re: Camera Raw isn't working.
                Ty Howard Level 1

At first I thought it could be that the files were ruined, so I took a few new pictures and tried to open them and I got the same "Could not complete your request becuase Photoshop does not recognize this this type of file." message. They are CR2 files and average file size is about 15-18 MB.

Yes I have tried restarting the computer, and I do have permissions.

• 5. Re: Camera Raw isn't working.
                  Level 5

Ty,

We really, really need to know what specific Canon camera model generated those files. "CR2" by itself means nothing.  Each Canon camera model generates its own flavor of raw, so the three-digit CR2 extension in the file name tells us nothing.

Unfortunately Curt Y, being a Windows user, gave you the wrong menu to find "About Plug-In".  That menu item is not in the "Help" menu on a Mac, but under the Photoshop menu.

ACR-5_7-screenshot.png 

About-ACR-5_7-plug-in-screenshot.png

The infamous Adobe updater was pretty much useless in Photoshop CS4, so the ACR 5.7 plug-in must be carefully installed manually.

One does not install said ACR plug-in by trying to "open" it in Photoshop; that's why you get the understandable error message.  You have to follow the instructions on the ACR download page precisely.

Essentially, you have to uncompress the .bin or .zip file you download, then mount the resulting .dmg file on your desktop and finally navigate to the ACR plug-in so that you can copy it to the appropriate subfolder in your Root Level Library.

Sorry I can't give you step by step instructions in Mavericks, as I did not go past Lion.

Good luck.

Of course, if your camera is not supported by ACR 5.7, then you have another (solvable) problem.  It will just entail using the latest, free, stand-alone DNG Converter (currently 8.3) in order to convert to raw DNG files each batch of CR2 files you want to open

Message was edited by: station_two

• 6. Re: Camera Raw isn't working.
                    Level 5

Please note that I made a substantial edit to my previous post (#5), and edits are not broadcast to email users.

See the forum web interface:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6170794#6170794

Essentially, you have to uncompress the .bin or .zip file you download, then mount the resulting .dmg file on your desktop and finally navigate to the ACR plug-in so that you can copy it to the appropriate subfolder in your Root Level Library.

Sorry I can't give you step by step instructions in Mavericks, as I did not go past Lion.

• 7. Re: Camera Raw isn't working.
                      Ty Howard Level 1

Alright so I unistalled CS4, reinstalled it and followed all of the directions to install ACR manually...but when I went to the Library Folder then to Application Support then to Adobe's folder, not only was the Plug-In Folder missing, but the Camera Raw Folder was missing. Ahh..Very frustrating.

• 8. Re: Camera Raw isn't working.
                        Level 5

You must have looked at the wrong Library.

You want the ROOT LEVEL Library not your Home or User Library.

Remember I explained I don't use Mavericks at all.

• 9. Re: Camera Raw isn't working.
                          Level 5

This is what the path to the ACR plug-in looks like on my Mac Pro running Photoshop CS6 13.0.6 under Lion 10.7.5:

Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 7.51.52 PM.png

Click thumbnail for large image.