2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2014 12:22 AM by Mylenium

The CPU utilization is 0% for the other remaining processes when multi threading is used

fenomatik

I am new to AE ,so I am trying to render a project enabling multi threading process the additional processes are present but their utilization is 0% .

I want to juice out every single CPU utiliaztion .

ANy help is greatly appriciated,.

My system specs:

AMD 9690 4.7 Ghz 8 core

32 GB DDR3

C:\256 GB Solid Satte Raid 0

GeForce 780 Ti DDR5 3GB

settings.JPGprocesses.JPGtask manager.JPG

• 1. Re: The CPU utilization is 0% for the other remaining processes when multi threading is used
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is very tempting to try and use all of your system resources and multiprocessing for all your projects, but this is not the way After Effects works. Many third-party plug-ins, many codecs, and many operations do not respond well to multiprocessing. All it takes is one process in your entire thread that is not MP aware to foul the whole thing and give you longer render times.

You are also leaving zero processors for the rest of your computer. Not a wise idea.

After effects renders one frame at a time. One HD frame even with multiple layers of pixel processing just isn't that much data. It does take a while to do the calculations, but expecting to have every one of your CPUs jacked up at 100% to render a single frame of video is expecting an awful lot.

I would suggest that you read up on optimizing After Effects for your computer. Do not expect to be able to utilize 100% of your system resources at all times. That's just not the way processing video on a pixel by pixel basis works.

Just a little FYI,  for 99% of my projects in After Effects I have render multiple frames simultaneously turned off. It just doesn't work with most of the things I do. Sorry for the disappointment.

• 2. Re: The CPU utilization is 0% for the other remaining processes when multi threading is used
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Search the forum. This topic comes up once every week. There is no way to force AE to use all cores. Things like GPU-dependent effects, temporal effects, specific CoDecs used and a million other things will always revert it back to being single-threaded.

Mylenium