10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2014 5:41 AM by P1965

Reverse Keyframing

P1965 Level 1

Hello agian,

I have created a photo album opening effect using a still image and then keyframing the movement, with great results. It took 15 hrs. to perfect it but now I would like to reverse the effect as a closing scene  - as in the album opens, the video plays and then the album closes.  The question is:  is there a way to copy the keyframing and reverse it on a copy of the first opening sequence?  Seems that time stretch only works on video scenes or moving scenes.

Thanks,

Add on, Pre 11 software, Win 7 64b, 8G ram

• 1. Re: Reverse Keyframing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

We could talk about Reverse Keyframing in the morning, but how about exploring this idea.

Selectively export your Timeline with "Photo Album Opening" effect to a file whose properties are consistent with those of your project.

Then import the "Photo Album Opening" back into the project, right click it, select Time Stretch, followed by Reverse Speed.

More tomorrow. We will be watching for your results with the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Reverse Keyframing
            P1965 Level 1

Thanks A.T. 

I had thought of doing that and that would likely work, however I would not be able to do any editing to it, such as adding/deleting an album page.  That said, I am going to try your suggestion and maybe I can shorten the clip then add in some of the existing files to get the desired results.   Will post results,

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Reverse Keyframing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Thanks for the reply. We will watch for your results.

In the "Open Album" phase, how many keyframes are involved and which properties are keyframed - Motion/Position, Motion/Scale, Opacity, other?

Right now I am seeing only the opportunity that I suggested as the way to get the task that you described done - not with copying/pasting/reversing of keyframing. I will work on this some more later today.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Reverse Keyframing
                P1965 Level 1

All together i used 76 keyframes in 3D, motion, and scale paths over a timeframe section of about 10 seconds in length, yielding a near perfect smooth opening of an album cover.  That's why it took so long.

Anyway, as suggested I have exported that section, - then imported that file, set reverse effects, and then was able to do some fine tune editing to get the desired results. It was a bit of work and time, but still far better than re doing all the reverse keyframing.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Reverse Keyframing
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Congratulations on job well done.

It seemed an overwhelming task in your case, taking manually the keyframe values of the "Open Album" and then going one by one, replacing the "Open Album" keyframe values with the same keyframe values in reverse in order to get the "Closed Album".

The need for a video type file in Time Stretch and Time Remapping was limiting in what you wanted to do.

Time Remapping has a Reverse feature, but the Time Remapping can use only video and not Titles, Images, Audio, Instant Movie, or Time Stretched Clips.

Best wishes moving forward.

ATR

• 6. Re: Reverse Keyframing
                    P1965 Level 1

Just a footnote to this post and an FYI to anyone trying this:

The 'undo' can be a great friend when you miss the obvious like I did, the first time I implemented the reverse time stretch.  That is, not thinking about the sound track which was also reversed afterward.

So I had to undo and unlink the sound to prevent this.

• 7. Re: Reverse Keyframing
                      -Subbi Adobe Employee

Reverse Keyframing on a Still Image:

I think this would be really a good feature to have. But for now we can try a workaround for achieving this.

Firstly right click on the Still image (on which the keyframes are applied) and hit copy. Place a video file (temporary one) on the second track above the Still image and then trim it to match the duration of the Still Image. Now Rightclick on the video clip and hit "Paste Effects and Adjustments". Once you have the keyframes of the Still image copied to the video, we can reverse the video by using the TimeStretch>Reverse. The video now has all the keyframes in a reveresed order.

We can use the same method of 'Copy' and "Paste Effects and Adjustments" to transfer these reversed keyframes to a fresh still image to create the 'closed album' effect.

-Subbi

• 8. Re: Reverse Keyframing
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Subbi

With regard to reverse keyframing on more than one still image at a time to which keyframing has already been applied......

I just tried your suggestion, and it works even to the extent that you can end up with reversed keyframes for more than one clip at a time. As always, the Copy/Paste Effects and Adjustments route consideration is getting any other Effects and Adjustments as well as the one wanted. Nonetheless, the principle that you present gives excellent results.

Your creativity and innovative thinking here are to be praised. You have represented Adobe very well, and I look forward to your contributions to the Premiere Elements community.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Reverse Keyframing
                          -Subbi Adobe Employee

ATR,

Good to know that you tried this solution and it worked for you. Thanks for your reply.

-Subbi

• 10. Re: Reverse Keyframing
                            P1965 Level 1

This is an interesting concept to try out.  While the method I used did work, this new way would be useful to do the fine tuning required to yeild a smoother effect.

Thanks for this additional input,

Steve