13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2014 5:05 AM by StrongBeaver

layer styles - temp turning off

StrongBeaver Level 3

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the the keyboard short-cut to turn off all layer styles the backslash key ?

• 1. Re: layer styles - temp turning off
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

I don't believe there is a default keyboard shortcut for hiding Layer Style Effects, although one could assign a keyboard shortcut to Layer>Layer Style>Hide All Effects

• 2. Re: layer styles - temp turning off
            StrongBeaver Level 3
            • Alt/Opt + click FX toggle arrows shows or hides all layer effects
            • Brightness/contrast slider for textures when painting ?
            • Enabled Split Channels for documents with single layer (so you can split simple transparency) ?
            • Can rotate 90 degrees with even x odd pixel dimension to avoid landing on a half-pixel position. (To enable this behavior, Snap Vector Tools And Transforms To Pixel Grid must be selected in the General preferences.) ?

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/jdi-productivity-enhancements-cs6.html

• 3. Re: layer styles - temp turning off

That doesn't actually turn off the layer effects, if that's what your looking to do, it only hides the effects list in the layers panel

Alt/Opt + click FX toggle arrows shows or hides all layer effects

• 4. Re: layer styles - temp turning off
                StrongBeaver Level 3

Where is the Brightness/contrast slider for textures when painting ?

• 5. Re: layer styles - temp turning off
                  StrongBeaver Level 3

It was working, ALT+clicking on the FX widget.  I'm testing as I write this and it doesn't work. 

Supposedly you can Undo more then one history state with CTRL+ALT+Z that isn't working out

• 6. Re: layer styles - temp turning off

* Brightness/contrast slider for textures when painting ?

Is for the Brush panel>Texture

(Window>Brush)

* Enabled Split Channels for documents with single layer (so you can split simple transparency) ?

In older versions of photoshop when one wanted to split channels, the document needed to be flattened and thus any transparency was lost.

(Window>Channels and Split Channels from the channels panel flyout menu)

In photoshop cs6/cc you can split channels on a layer with transparency and one of the resulting documents will be the transparency channel

(you still need to have only one layer in the document, but it doesn't have to be flattened)

* Can rotate 90 degrees with even x odd pixel dimension to avoid landing  on a half-pixel position. (To enable this behavior, Snap Vector Tools  And Transforms To Pixel Grid must be selected in the General  preferences.) ?

Means when you have Snap Vector Tools  And Transforms To Pixel Grid checked in the General preferences, rotating an object 90 degrees doesn't produce anti-alised edges as it sometimes did in previous versions of

photoshop, still some depending on the object, but not as much as before.

Ctrl+Alt+Z should go back more than one history state

(that's the photoshop default unless one changes the shortcut in Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts>Application Menus>Edit)

What happens when you try?

• 7. Re: layer styles - temp turning off
                      StrongBeaver Level 3

* Brightness/contrast slider for textures when painting ?

Is for the Brush panel>Texture

(Window>Brush)

I don't see a slider for brightness and contrast ?

* Enabled Split Channels for documents with single layer (so you can split simple transparency) ?

In older versions of photoshop when one wanted to split channels, the document needed to be flattened and thus any transparency was lost.

(Window>Channels and Split Channels from the channels panel flyout menu)

In photoshop cs6/cc you can split channels on a layer with transparency and one of the resulting documents will be the transparency channel

(you still need to have only one layer in the document, but it doesn't have to be flattened)

I have a transparent layer, but when I go to the channels panel split channels is greyed out ?

Ctrl+Alt+Z should go back more than one history state

(that's the photoshop default unless one changes the shortcut in Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts>Application Menus>Edit)

What happens when you try?

Nothing !

• 8. Re: layer styles - temp turning off

In the the Brush panel and click on the word Texture

brush.png

You can only have one layer in the document

sc.png

Ctrl+Alt+Z should work the same as in previous versions of photoshop.

Did you check the shortcuts to verify Ctrl+Alt+Z is assigned to Step Backward?

• 9. Re: layer styles - temp turning off
                          StrongBeaver Level 3

You can only have one layer in the document, that's why it wasn't working, partially my fault for not reading it correctly

ALT+CTRL+Z is assigned to step backward it still is not working

• 10. Re: layer styles - temp turning off
                            StrongBeaver Level 3

This is the correct way multiple undo should work (ALT+CTRL+Z) correct ?

undo-up.jpg

Argh the dreded ALT + Clicking FX toggle doesn't hide all the layer effects, what is going on, I must have loaded my keyboard short-cut menu four times and everything looks fine.

• 11. Re: layer styles - temp turning off

Are you using a custom keyboard shortcut file?

If you reset the keyboard shortcuts to the Photoshop Defaults, does that make any difference?

When you Alt click on the FX arrow it just closes the list(s) for the layer effects and that doesn't work?

What operating system and version of photoshop are you using?

Maybe you need to reset the Photoshop Preferences file.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

• 12. Re: layer styles - temp turning off
                                StrongBeaver Level 3

What operating system and version of photoshop are you using?

Windows7 x64, PsCC 14.2.1