4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 11:05 AM by A.T. Romano

no video in preview panel

photo914

Have audio, but no picture. Windows 8.1, 3.4ghz 16 gig ram

• 1. Re: no video in preview panel
          A.T. Romano Level 7

photo914

Very important questions...

a. What version of Premiere Elements are you using on Windows 8.1 assumed 64 bit.

b. Is your computer's video card/graphics card NVIDIA GeForce? If so stop and read on below.

What is your video card/graphics card? Do you have one or two?

Is your video card/graphics card driver version up according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card/graphics card.

Is this problem, "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before". If it worked before, how long ago and were there any changes in the computer at that time that you know of?

Is the issue in the Edit area's monitor as well as the in the Preview Window with the Set In and Set Out points?

What is your project preset and what are the properties of your source media that are not displaying picture?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: no video in preview panel
            photo914 Level 1

Thank you for replying to my post. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, but I was away. I just installed this program, and it has never worked properly! The version of Premiere Elements I am using is version 10, and yes I do have one NVIDIA GeForce GTX645 video card in my Dell XPS 8600 computer with Windows 8.1. I made sure the drivers for this card are up to date, and they are. I read your posts on the adobe forums, and tried going back to an older driver (320.49) which I saw cleared the problem for a number of users. During the download an error appeared and said the driver was not compatible with my hardware. I have no picture in the preview panel. I hear the audio, and If I click inside the panel a frame can be seen but that is all, no video. The edit area seems to work OK, except that the video will not play in the small panels either. The project presets I believe are correct. Thanks for any light you can shed on this problem!

Charlie Kalpaxis

• 3. Re: no video in preview panel
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>During the download an error appeared and said the driver was not compatible with my hardware

The nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us page has a link http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us for older versions... be sure you fill in the field for your exact model so you get the correct old driver... you MAY need to try several

• 4. Re: no video in preview panel
                A.T. Romano Level 7

photo914

Thanks for the reply.

Your issue most likely relates to the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA issue that has troubled so many. The fix is to roll back the NVIDIA card driver version as far back as necessary to get Premiere Elements 10 to work. I have written an Announcement  on this matter which is appearing at the top of this forum. For your convenience, the following is a copy/paste of that Announcement.

Announcement: Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

If you are a Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card and you are experiencing Premiere Elements 10 display and/or unexplained program behavior, then your first line of troubleshooting needs to be rolling back the video card driver version instead of assuring that it is up to date.

Since October 2013 to the present, there have been a growing number of reports about display and unexplained workflow glitches specific to the Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer has a NVIDIA GeForce video card. If this applies to you, then the “user to user” remedy is to roll back the NVIDIA GeForce video card driver as far as is necessary to get rid of the problems. The typical driver roll back has gone back as far as March – July 2013 in order to get a working Premiere Elements 10. Neither NVIDIA nor Adobe has taken any corrective action in this regard to date, and none is expected moving forward.

Since October 2013, the following thread has tried to keep up with the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA reports

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

Older NVIDIA GeForce drivers can be found

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

A February 2014 overview of the situation as well as how to use the older NVIDIA GeForce drivers for the driver roll back can be found

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe10-nvidia-video-card-roll-back.ht ml

All the details of the problem as well as where to get the older NVIDIA GeForce driver needed and detailed how to fix are included in the 2nd and 3rd cited links.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR