10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 9:38 AM by A.T. Romano

Lost audio while editing video

Llamadude99

I lost my volume while ediing my video, I checked my volume and it wasn't muted, what else can it be?

• 1. Re: Lost audio while editing video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you allow time for conforming?

Read Bill Hunt on Audio Conforming http://forums.adobe.com/thread/726693

• 2. Re: Lost audio while editing video
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Liamadude99

First, what version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What workspace are you working in

a. If earlier than 11, Timeline or Sceneline workspace

b. If 11 or 12, Expert or Quick workspace

On what audio track is this audio? Did you add Narration just prior to the loss of the audio from Audio 1 or the Soundtrack?

Please detail the situation at the time of audio loss "while editing".

We will be watching for further details so that we can develop troubleshooting strategy.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Lost audio while editing video
              Llamadude99 Level 1

Premiere Elements 12, windows 7, I did add narration just prior to loss of the audio. Bare with me, I am new to this program. When I go online there is sound on videos but not when I go into Premiere Elements, there is no sound except the parts I did voice over.

• 4. Re: Lost audio while editing video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Llamadude99

Thanks for the reply with those important details.

Several users have reported loss of audio except the narration after the addition of narration to a Premiere Elements 12 project.

I could never reproduce the problem with Premiere Elements 12 so that I could target the cause.

Well may not never. There was one time when I was just about to give trying to recreate the problem, when I actually did. But, I had no idea what I did differently to be able to do that.

How into the project are you when this problem occurs? Have you tried switching between Expert and Quick workspaces to recover all the audio? If you go to a new project, does that same thing happen immediately after you create narration in the new project?

I am going to dig into this tomorrow to see if I get any new insights into this strange problem. Right now, we could explore

creating a narration in the free audio editor Audacity and then importing that into Premiere Elements (Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets/Narration Track) to see if the imported Narration triggers this glitch as well as the narration created with the Premiere Elements Narration Tool.

If I can reproduce the problem, I will be able to troubleshoot it.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Lost audio while editing video
                  Llamadude99 Level 1

The drag and drop audio for the timeline has audio and how should the smart mix and audio mixer be set up. My daughter is the one making a video for a school project, she doesnt understand how the voice just disappeared so now I'm just trying to find out what I can do because the project is due tomorrow and she's soooo upset.She worked really hard on it and now there is no audio. Is there anyway I can speak to someone over the phone that can walk me through this to go through things to make sure it is set up correctly.Is there a 1-800 number for troubleshooting? I'm sure its an easy fix but I'm just not familiar with this yet.

• 6. Re: Lost audio while editing video
                    Llamadude99 Level 1

My daughter was almost completed with the project, 8 minutes into it. Her and her cousin were working on it all day.She was just doing the narration last before completing. She never saved her work before this happened and I'm afraid to save it now because I feel like if I save it without the voice, I won't be able to retrieve it, after I save it. It will be permanent. What should I do?

• 7. Re: Lost audio while editing video
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Llamadude99

Main thing is to stay calm.

If you can get the Smart Mix to work for you fine, if not forget about it and concentrate on the Audio Mixer.

Select the audio on the Timeline, open the Audio Mixer, and use the slider for each of the two audio tracks involved to make the volume of one lower the other higher and vice versa at the appropriate times.

Remember 0 db on the scale is not no sound. It represents the original volume level. As you go to + 6 dB (max), you increase the volume level above that of the original. As you go to - and infinity, you decrease the volume level below that of the original.

Have you or your daughter worked with the Audio Mixer before?

If there are worries about messing up the project, then make a copy of the project (File Menu/Save A Copy) and work with the copy until you are familiar with what you have to do with the Audio Mixer to balance the volume of the various audio tracks. It should be easy and quick.

Please let us know how everything is progressing. I will be calling it a day soon. It is about 1 am where I am.

ATR

• 8. Re: Lost audio while editing video
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Llamadude99

I think our messages got out of sync.

Try to make a copy of the original project (File Menu/Save a Copy).

Work with the copy until you are sure you have a Safety net.

Have you been working with the AutoSave feature On. The is another life saver.

You can also use File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy option to save the project file along with the source media that went into it.

But, there is no guarantee that any given project will open. It should, but.... Just like that narration should not be killing the rest of the audio in the project...should not be.

Can you make the narration in Audacity and then add it to Premiere Elements project? If you use this, go for the .wav format.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Many computers come with Sound Recorder. You can use that to create narration (.wma).

ATR

• 9. Re: Lost audio while editing video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Lamadude99,

ATR mentions the AutoSaves (if not changed, you have 5 of those by default - note: they are FIFO, First In, First Out), so you have those for your original Project, plus, if you followed the suggestion to do a Save_As_a_Copy, you will then have AutoSaves for that version of your Project also. Plenty of "safety nets."

Good luck in the troubleshooting.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Lost audio while editing video
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Llamadude99

This morning I replied to your follow up where you told of your success and overcoming your audio issues for your Premiere Elements project. But, after I replied to your news of success, I could not find your latest post nor mine in your thread.

I finally found them, but in the old 2013 thread of another. Here is the copy/paste from the 2013 thread to your thread here

17. Llamadude99,

02-Mar-2014 22:30    in reply to A.T. Romano 

I was trying different things and I went to tools to narration. I removed the mute audio before recording, then deleted the narration I previously did and then pressed undo, to bring it back and my audio returned on my video. Very strange but it worked. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to try to help me with this situation.I really appreciate it.

Was this helpful?  Yes    No  

|           

Translate           

A.T. Romano   10,418 posts
                            30-Apr-2006

18. A.T. Romano,

03-Mar-2014 07:38    in reply to Llamadude99 

Llamadude99

Thanks for the update.

Later today I am going to try to get narration to cause the rest of the audio to fail. If I can, I will try what you said worked for you, that is,

I removed the mute audio before recording, then deleted the narration I previously did and then pressed undo, to bring it back and my audio returned on my video.

If this works, it may be the answer to this type of situation, and it will be a major contribution to the Premiere Elements community.

Congratulation on your success. Great job.

Best wishes to your daughter, her cousin, and you.

ATR