5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 8:15 AM by Szalam

After Effects CC seems slow?

Jamber

After Effects CC seems to run very slow compared to 5.5 especially when I switch a layer from 2d to 3d. It goes from displaying immediately to a 5-10 sec delay as it calculates to preview the frame? It wouldn't be so bad if I were doing complex compositing and effects but this is just clicking the 3D check on a single layer (no effects) Any ideas?

• 1. Re: After Effects CC seems slow?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

System specs? OS? Not much to go on in your question.

• 2. Re: After Effects CC seems slow?
            Jamber Level 1

Of course, sorry, Mac OS is 10.7.4 and system specs are 2 x 2.66 GHz 6 core Intel Zeon - 32GB RAM.

• 3. Re: After Effects CC seems slow?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

10.7.4 might be the problem. Is your copy of AE up to date? Should be 12.2.1.5

You are at the bottom end of system compatibility. There are several threads on slow performance on this forum and suggestions for improving performance should be easy to find. I can tell you that CC works great on all of my Macs using 10.9.2

Mavericks is not compatible with AE 5.5, but I'm thinking you mean CS5.5, but that's not an approved app either. It May be time to think about an upgrade.

From the Adobr System Requirements page, anything missing???

Mac OS

Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support

Mac OS X v10.7.4, v10.8, or Mac OS X v10.9

4GB of RAM (8GB recommended)

5GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)

Additional disk space for disk cache (10GB recommended)

1440x900 display

OpenGL 2.0–capable system

QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features

Optional: Graphics card from list below with at least 1GB VRAM and CUDA 5.0 for GPU acceleration of ray-traced 3D renderer

Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, membership validation, and access to online services.*

• 4. Re: After Effects CC seems slow?
                Jamber Level 1

Thanks Rick for such a detailed response. Yes I will have to look at an upgrade to see if that helps.

Looking at the System requirements, I have nearly everything covered although the graphics card I have is an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB which I'm not sure is compatible with CUDA! Would this have an impact?

• 5. Re: After Effects CC seems slow?
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jamber wrote:

Looking at the System requirements, I have nearly everything covered although the graphics card I have is an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB which I'm not sure is compatible with CUDA! Would this have an impact?

The only thing that not having CUDA will impact is GPU acceleration of the ray-traced renderer. There are better ways to work with 3d in AE than the ray-traced renderer, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.