36 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2017 3:49 PM by ulysseso28052165

Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC

smellboss

When selecting type -- either placing the cursor in a text frame or double-/triple-clicking to select a word or line of text -- the selected text is momentarily invisible. Deselecting all makes it reappear, as does zooming in or out. However, it is difficult to edit text when you can't see it. This problem occurs randomly. I updated from CS5.5 about two weeks ago, and am running OS X Mavericks on a Mac Pro with 32 GB of memory.

• 1. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
          stevewilldesign17

In the last few days I've encountered the same disappearing type issue. Editing is now very complicated. Placing the cursor into the text box will make the line that the cursor is in disappear, then I blindly type my change, and as I begin to type, ALL the text in the text box disappears. To see the text box again, I figured out that when I scroll down the page and the "empty" block disappears at the top of my work window, I can scroll back down and the text reappears in the text box. This is most inconvenient when I have my client on the phone rapidly giving me corrections.

I'm running Maverick 10.9.2 and InDesign CC 9.2.1

• 2. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like i t might be a problem with the video drivers.

• 3. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
              smellboss Level 1

Whatever the cause, it began with CC. I will say that it hasn’t happened to me for a couple of months (running 9.2.1).

• 4. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                ballyhoostories

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone discovered a solution?

• 5. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                  smellboss Level 1

Use an earlier version of InDesign. Just kidding.

If you haven’t updated, do so when you get a chance. I’m running 9.2.1 and haven’t had the problem for some time. Selecting text is maddening, but that’s the topic of another thread.

• 6. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                    drasahershoff Level 1

Four months later, seems like Adobe has not fixed this problem (very typical of them).. This just started, and not even after any update in OSX or Adobe. Running 10.9.4 and InDesign CC 2014. Nice if adobe would post a fix on here....

By the way, this is happening in ALL DOCUMENTS, not just new ones, even documents created years ago.. When opened, this problem happens.

It occurs whenever a block of text is selected. First that block disappears, then the whole page disappears. It can be brought back by moving the text frame around for a redraw.

• 7. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                      J Cochran Level 1

I had this problem too and it drove me crazy until I discovered I had TEXT WRAP enabled. Check that so the text flows over graphics.

• 8. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                        jenanke

This problem occurs with inDesign 2015 as well. It starts at random times, anywhere form 1 minute to 5 hours after working in an inDesign file. Closing and opening the file clears the problem for a while, then it starts up again. Support person told me to migrate to a new user, and I tried that, but the problem persists, and then support ignored me. It is now occurring with a co-worker on a different computer. I don't think anyone would use inDesign if it happens to everyone, but this bug is NOT fixed for those of us it does happen to. It is very annoying to have to close and reopen 4-5 times in an hour just to be able to work in inDesign.

• 9. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                          Claudia McCue Level 1

I'm seeing this in CC2014 and CC2015 when I'm working on dual monitors (Mac 10.9), in high-quality display--even though ID is only on one monitor. Don't see it on Windows, don't see it on laptop. Are any of these conditions the same for you?

• 10. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                            jenanke Level 1

I have two monitors, yes. I am on Windows. And yes, the problem started after hooking up the second monitor, but there was an update at the same time.  But when I turned off the second monitor (did not unplug it)  the problem persisted. I have not tried it with the second monitor completely unplugged and after a restart. I will have to try it, but I want to be able to use two monitors.

Shouldn't inDesign be able to function with two monitors?

• 11. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ID really likes to be on the main screen. If you have dragged the app to your second screen this could be your problem.

• 12. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                jenanke Level 1

InDesign is on my main screen.

• 13. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                  jenanke Level 1

Although, Windows seems confused. My main screen is the one on the right, and that one has the apps on the desktop and the time and date in the lower right corner, and is the one selected as the main screen and the one INDD is on. 1 is on the left, and 2 on the right in the control panel display. The right one, which I see as right, and where the mouse stops when I move it to the edge, is designated the main screen and has the desktop icons.  However, when I click on identify, the number 2 appears on the left hand screen, the one without the desktop icons, opposite from what the control panel says. Which does not make sense.

• 14. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                    jenanke Level 1

I moved indd to the other monitor, just to check, and the problem persisted.

• 15. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                      Claudia McCue Level 1

Just out of curiosity (and to be scientific), what if you completely unplug the second monitor? I'm going to try that when I get home to see if it's the fix. If it is, then I'll live with it and just not work in high-quality display. Well, I won't exactly live with it -- I'll file a bug ;-)

But my problem is on the Mac, not Windows, so I'll be interested to see what you find. I keep InDesign on my main monitor, but I occasionally drag one document to the other monitor. I haven't been paying attention, but it may be that this happens when I have docs on both monitors. I'll let you know if I can narrow it down.

• 16. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                        jenanke Level 1

Did you try unplugging your second monitor? The problem is worse today, but I hate to give up two monitors. I got the second one specifically for working in INDD.

• 17. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                          Claudia McCue Level 1

Of course, now I can't replicate the behavior, either with both monitors, or with one unplugged. If it starts again, I'll try the single monitor setup and see if that's the fix.

Wish I had a more scientific answer. I'm running OS X 10.9 on a Mac, too, for what that's worth.

I'll keep you posted. When it was happening, it seemed to be only when I was viewing in high-quality display.

As an experiment, have you tried disconnecting the second monitor? I suspect that's the villain (more video info than the computer can paint to screen). But that would help us decide.

• 18. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                            Claudia McCue Level 1

More testing: My long thread of text is using Optical Margin Alignment, and when I turned that off, the problem disappeared.

Could that be happening to you guys?

• 19. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                              dpolkinhorn

Claudia,

I didn't have Optical Margin Alignment turned on, but after toggling it on and off, the issue seems to have gone away.  Thanks for the tip!

For those looking for the setting, select the text box, then choose "Story" from the "Text" menu.

I'm on a Mac, OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite), and InDesign CC 11.1.0.122 build.

• 20. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                ronzimmerman

Ok. Same problem here. When editing text, any change in a frame makes the text disappear on my screen. I have not been using the Optical Margin Alignment. I have two monitors, but run InDesign in the main one. I'm on Windows with InDesign Realease 2015.1, 11.1.0.122 x64 Build. Sure hope there is a bug fix coming soon. Sure hope someone at Adobe reads these forums.

While I'm at it, I have commented (numerous, numbers times) on another bug that has been with my InDesign since I upgraded long ago from CS3. Any file created subsequently on my system (I have had 3 since; and there are other InDesign machines in the office that mimic this same behavior), can not remember where it lives. That is, one can not simply do a "File Save," as the file will then simply goes to whatever file folder or path statement was previously used by another other InDesign document. So, one is forced to always use "File Save As," which, of course, requires that the operator know where the file "lives." Needless to say, many files and much work has ended up in the wrong place over the years. Surely, this is fixable and surely someone over the years must have read one of my survey comments or other posts. It has been really frustrating to have such a basic and common function not work with what is otherwise a sterling piece of productive software.

If anyone at Adobe ever reads this and has a fix, you can even email me at ron@theherbfarm.com.

Thanks.

• 21. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                  laurah46607961

I am also experiencing this. It's incredibly annoying.  I've tried the remedy of turning on / off the Type/Story setting, and that does not seem to help.  Anecdotally, it seems to exacerbate it when my computer goes to sleep/I lock it to walk away from my desk.  Either way, I would really like to see a fix.

I have a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 8 and a CC subscription.

Laura

• 22. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                    Abernardi Level 1

I've been having this problem for a few months now and I can't seem to find a fix. My company is about to switch from our Adobe CC subscription because of this issue. Adobe needs to do a better job of fixing these issues... this is killing our productivity!

Arbortext here we come I guess...

• 23. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                      julesbunny

I've been having the same rubbish problem as well. I too work on two monitors... but never had this problem BEFORE I upgraded to Creative Cloud. I wish I'd stuck with the older version. I have lost so much downtime as I write a lot of marketing campaigns and literally every few minutes the text box I am working on disappears and I have to zoom in and out to get it back... Two minutes later I am doing the same. Come on ADobe this is SHOCKING Customer service.

Have you got a clue. Are you responding to all these poor customers who are having the same issue. So its obviously a real one?

I'd like to hear from you with a response or I might use social media in a not positive way to get one.

• 24. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                        Abernardi Level 1

Here is the fix:

Note: This method will delete all of your InDesign preferences.

1). Exit InDesign.

2). While holding down Control+Alt+Shift keys (Command+Ctrl+Option+Shift keys for Mac users) perform the following:

a). Right-click Adobe InDesign desktop icon.

b). Select Open.

c). Release the Control+Alt+Shift keys (Command+Ctrl+Option+Shift keys for Mac users).

Note: The following message will appear: "Delete InDesign Preference files?"

3). Click Yes.

The issue with disappearing text should be resolved... Unfortunately, now you have to rebuild your preferences. Take note on what preferences you change in case the issue returns.

1 person found this helpful
                                                        • 25. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                          ibby17

I am having this problem too! It started last week and is already driving me NUTS!!

I do not want to have to delete my In Design preferences and have to rebuild them all.

Surely there is another fix or an update available which fixes this problem?

• 26. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                            Olly_J

This worked for me, Thanks

• 27. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                              vun62987876

This hasn't worked for me, sadly. I upgraded to a rolling monthly CC 2015 subscription a couple of days ago - thought the problem was my old OS, so upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.6 - still no joy. All available upgrades have been done. Working on a Macbook Pro 2013.

The column of text where the cursor is placed in disappears and 'refreshes' as soon as I move around the page. If I style text in Character/Paragraph Styles, the chosen font will overlay the original text in the paragraph until I scroll away - then it 'refreshes' and the new font is there (this doesn't happen every time, but has happened at least three times in the last half hour). The disappearing text has made it impossible to edit anything with any kind of flow.

I've tried to toggle the Optical Margin Alignment on and off as suggested above - nope.

I have a 32 page document with multiple styles to apply (classified ads) and edit, and I'm on a deadline. At the moment, it's not going to happen!

• 28. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                                tulsa.design

RESOLVED

Editing text makes the text box height smaller so text does not show. Resizing text box height resolved issue.

Object>Text Frame Options>Auto-Size>Auto-Sizing>Height Only

Or drag bottom of textbox to make it larger.

• 29. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                                  vun62987876 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, but this didn't work either. I have tried both the Object menu solution, and also resizing the text box.

I have uninstalled ID and reinstalled it - the problem still remains. I have noticed that if I place the cursor into the text without introducing any new characters, such as a letter, or a space - and then scroll, the text is fine - no temporary disappearance of the text as the page renders. As soon as I edit, the text disappears as I navigate.

Still willing to try any suggestions!

• 30. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                                    MistaBahnz

I am seeing the same issue.  Disappearing text, only to return if page is moved around or zoomed in/out.  Very very frustrating.

I am also seeing the # of undos available being limited to 1 or 2 or 3.  It changes, which is certainly not cool. 

Is anyone else using the Suitcase Fusion 6 to manage their fonts?  Im wondering if this has anything to do with it, as it is a 3rd party app that is working along side indesign (in my case).

I suggest we start blasting the adobe support team on twitter and link this thread.   Pretty ridiculous.

• 31. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                                      BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

I suggest we start blasting the adobe support team on twitter and link this thread.   Pretty ridiculous.

Or file a bug report with Adobe for these issues (click the Bug radio button):

Wishform - Adobe InDesign

1 person found this helpful
                                                                      • 32. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                                        MistaBahnz Level 1

Bug reported.  Thank you.

• 33. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                                          ulysseso28052165 Level 1

I think I have already reported that bug a long time ago and they told me there was no bug at all. I'm running InDesign CC 2015 in Windows 7 (after downgrading from ID 2017 which was toooooooooo slow). Since it's also happening with Max OSX, this bug is not system-related.

By the way, does anyone who's facing this issue is also facing the ''Change" and "Change/Find" buttons greyed out issue?

Ulysses

• 34. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                                            ulysseso28052165 Level 1

It might be mere coincidence. But this issue has been bothering me the whole day (and other days before). I'm writing a book with 12 docs and was updating four of these in a row. After a long time dealing with this issue I discovered that one of my docs had a hidden text frame (that I have no clue how it went there). The important point is that as soon I removed the undesirable frame the issue stopped! So I suggest that you all who are facing the same issue try to discover if you have the same problem in your docs. As I said in my last post I had already reported this as a bug to ID team and they replied that there was no such issue in ID. So, maybe the bug is in your own docs.

Ulysses

• 35. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                                              MistaBahnz Level 1

I will take a look for the hidden text frame.  Thanks. 

• 36. Re: Type disappears when editing in InDesign CC
                                                                                ulysseso28052165 Level 1

Forget what I said. After a peaceful week, the bug is back again! What a shame for Adobe.

Ulysses