You could have missed a motherboard driver or have wrong versions of specific DLLs that prevent more efficient threading. Similarly, other drivers or processes could get in the way. Even specific BIOS/ EFI settings for clock cycles, temperature control or power modes could influence such stuff. I'm afraid this is more complex than just saying "flip this and that switch" and you will not get satisfactory answers on this forum.
Strange because MP rendering works a treat, twelve cores used.
AESELFLINKs are not capped to 100% usage, when 6 cores are allocated in prefs, six AESELFLINK will use ~200% each.
BUT when rendering a single frame in the timeline (not RAM preview) main after effects process is capped to 100% whereas my second setup shows a ~300/~400 cpu usage.
That's a nonsense...
I'm trying all sort of sorcellery but I can't isolate the problem.
I've made some additionnals tests, OS is not the problem : I tried both OS X and Windows 7 and they shows exactly the same symptoms (low cpu usage, capped to 100, when the 4770 top to 300/400).
8 to 10 seconds to render a single frame when my second setup (4770) took 3... as always the tests are rigorous, exactly the same project, swapped OS drives on both machine etc.
The only things I can think about now is at BIOS level or something... I'm on the latest Asus P9X79 firmware though.
What bother me is that benchmarks and other cpu hogs apps (C4D...) are working fine and roughyl similar on both machines...
Some benches that sum up everything,
total time to render the same after effect project, multiprocessing DISABLED. Fresh installs for OSes (I swap boot drives in both setup for ultimate consistency)
4770 / OS X : 6m20
4770 / WIN : 5m58 (+6% over OS X)
3930k / OS X : 19m3
3930k / WIN : 14m57