8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 9:44 PM by A.T. Romano

Issues running Premiere Elements 8

Coppertop

Open Premiere Elements 8 and all I get is a grey screen.  Unable to start a new project or open old one.

• 1. Re: Issues running Premiere Elements 8
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180
          •What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".
          •Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)
          •What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.
          •If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?
          •What were you doing when the problem occurred?
          •What other software are you running?
          •Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?
          •Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?
          And some other questions...
          •What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?
          •Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page?
          •Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)
          What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?
          Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?
          For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information
          -you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself
          ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool
          nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: Issues running Premiere Elements 8
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Coppertop

What is your issue....when you get the grey screen, do you have media on the Timeline? If you have media on the Timeline, what are its properties?

Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue?

The usual drill questions for Premiere Elements 8 users

1. Are you working from the 8.0.1 Update of the program?

2. Do you have the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer features turned Off?

3. Have you looked at the issue with and without "Enable GPU Playback" enabled in preferences?

Then

1. What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 running on?

2. How many video cards/graphic cards does your computer use, 1 or 2. Whatever the case, is the video card/graphics card driver up to date

according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card(s)?

Please review and then we can decide what next based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Issues running Premiere Elements 8
              upholsteryteacher

For some reason I'm

Getting emails from all of your threads. Please remove shelly@modhomeec.com from the thread/list, whatever. I just need to not get all if your information.

Thanks!!

Shelly Leer

Sent from my iPhone

• 4. Re: Issues running Premiere Elements 8
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

YOU control email settings

Unwanted Email notices - Several ideas (some overlap)

-FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503132

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1017286

• 5. Re: Issues running Premiere Elements 8
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

upholsteryteacher

I am going to create a new thread just for you. It will be in my name since I can create threads for myself and not for others and I suspect you are running into difficulties creating a new thread. The title of the thread will be Unexplained Audio Looping.

You seem to be doing OK with posting but you are posting in threads unrelated to your problem. You are just following my name.

I think this plan should work. I will be watching for your posts in this new "Unexplained Audio Looping" as well as watching for private messages from you.

To make sure that you find the "Unexplained Audio Looping" thread, after I start the thread, I will send you a private message with the link to it.

Hope this works.

ATR

• 6. Re: Issues running Premiere Elements 8
                    Coppertop Level 1

Requested information.

John T Smith

Computer information.

Manufacture – Dell

Model – Studio XPS 9100

Processor – Intel Core i7 CPU   Memory – 9 GB

Operating system – Window 7 Home Premium  64 bit – Service Pack 1

Display adapter  - ATI Redeon HD 5670  Driver Date 5/17/2010   Driver Version  8.740.0.0 Per Microsoft, update version not available.  However, went to web and updated version to 13.251.0.0.  Issue still happens.

No Import Updates available

7 Optional updates installed – retested issue and it’s still happening

Recording video with a Canon HD VIXIA HF11 (but I don’t think the camera is the issue as Premiere Elements 8 does not seem to load correctly)

Normally no error.  But if I try to open an existing project, I get this error now.  “Projects created with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible.  Please use the appropriate application to open this project.”  However, the existing project was created with Premiere Elements 8.  Also, although I might have installed a test/sample version of Adobe Premiere Pro, I don’t think it’s on my computer anymore.

Issues happens if I have other software running or not. The program used to work perfect. It just doesn’t work now.  Every once in a while, it will load up and start a new project.   But that is very infrequent.   It has not worked for some time now, so do not remember if any particular software was added or deleted when the issue started.

C Drive has 135 GB free space.

D Drive has 296 GB free space

Please let me know if you require additional information.

P.S.  I did try to uninstall and re-install the software, but that made no difference.

New information;

When I launch Premiere Elements 8, there are three options;

Organize

New Project

Open project

The last two don't do anything and give me the empty software screen.  The first one does seem to open the software up correctly.  I am able to get to the menus including Edit - Preverences this way.

• 7. Re: Issues running Premiere Elements 8
                      Coppertop Level 1

A.T. Romano

Q:  What is your issue....when you get the grey screen, do you have media on the Timeline? If you have media on the Timeline, what are its properties?

Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue?

A:  I launch Premiere Elements 8.   I get the Screen which has Organize, New Project and Open Project buttons.  If I select the New Project Button Premiere Elements 8 starts to load.  Then I get the software home page with the New Project Dialog box.  Enter Junk as the name and hit OK button.  Nothing happens.  The dialog box goes away and I’m left with the PRE8 form with the back bar at top with the menu in it and a greyish screen below.  Almost all of the options in the different menu’s are not avaialbe.  Ender File, New Project, Open Project and Recent Projects are available.  Select Open Project, and pick project from list and get message;  “Projects created with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible. Please use the appropriate application to open this project.” 

The usual drill questions for Premiere Elements 8 users

1. Are you working from the 8.0.1 Update of the program?
                      2. Do you have the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer features turned Off?
                      3. Have you looked at the issue with and without "Enable GPU Playback" enabled in preferences?

A:

1. Yes, using 8.0.1
                      2. I think I do have this turned off.  But can’t get to Edit – Preferences to turn Background Rendering on.
                      3. No, but can’t open preferences.

Q:

1. What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 running on?
                      2. How many video cards/graphic cards does your computer use, 1 or 2. Whatever the case, is the video card/graphics card driver up to date

according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card(s)?

A:

Computer information.

Manufacture – Dell

Model – Studio XPS 9100

Processor – Intel Core i7 CPU   Memory – 9 GB

Operating system – Window 7 Home Premium  64 bit – Service Pack 1

Display adapter  - ATI Redeon HD 5670  Driver Date 5/17/2010   Driver Version  8.740.0.0 Per Microsoft, update version not available.  However, went to web and updated version to 13.251.0.0.  Issue still happens.

No Import Updates available

7 Optional updates installed – retested issue and it’s still happening

1 card.

Please let me know if you require additional information.

P.S.  I did try to uninstall and re-install the software, but that made no difference

New information;

When I launch Premiere Elements 8, there are three options;

Organize

New Project

Open project

The last two don't do anything and give me the empty software screen.  The first one does seem to open the software up correctly.  I am able to get to the menus including Edit - Preverences this way.

• 8. Re: Issues running Premiere Elements 8
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Coppertop

1. If you have not already, let us try to open the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Editor from the Adobe Premiere Elements .exe file on the hard drive.

Local Disk C\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Premiere Elements 8,0 and in the Premiere Elements 8.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file that you double click to open the program to the view where you will access the new project dialog. Does not work?

2. If not, then we are going to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs (the Editor's settings file)

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 8.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not do the job, then delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

When you access the Edit - Preferences when you select Organize, it sounds like those are the Organizer preferences not the Editor preferences. But, while you are in the Organizer preferences, take the opportunity to check Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options and make sure everything under that category is turned Off.

Let us see how you do with the above.

Thanks for the follow ups. Much appreciated.

ATR