11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 10:05 PM by Silkrooster

Layer Mask Transparency not White

Marcel1984

When I go to make a selection in Photoshop CS6 and then click on layer mask from the background layer, the inverse selection is trasparent, rahter than white. How do I change this? Thank you!

• 1. Re: Layer Mask Transparency not White
          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you post a screen shot, showing your full screen?  A backgound layer can not have a layer mask, so I'm a bit confused as to what you're doing.

• 2. Re: Layer Mask Transparency not White
            Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All you need to do is invert your mask. I am assuming the background layer was converted to a normal layer(unlocked) at the bottom of the stack.

• 3. Re: Layer Mask Transparency not White
              Marcel1984 Level 1

Sorry for not describing it in better detail. Here is another example. When I go to crop image and expand my canvas beyond the borders and click ok, the background should be white, instead it is transparent.

Screen shot 1 - expanding the canvas.jpg

When I try to convert a selection from my background image into a layer mask by selecting and then clicking on the mask icon, my background is transparent rather than white. I have cleared all my settings and am totally stumped on what I should do. Any help would be much appreciated!

Add layer mask from selection.jpg

• 4. Re: Layer Mask Transparency not White
                Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With your latest examples, you will not get a white background, as you don't have a background layer.  In both images your layers are standard layers.  You can add flatten the image, or add a new background layer, or just put a new layer below your image layer and fill it with white.

• 5. Re: Layer Mask Transparency not White
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

If you expand the canvas without a background layer, only transparency is revealed.  That's just the way it works.

Since the background is special and doesn't normally support transparency then Photoshop fills the new space with the background color (or the color you choose).

The above is a bit of an oversimplification in that it doesn't account for the possibility that your document has a layer with pixels outside the visible canvas.

If you want to ensure you have a solid color all the way to whatever edges of the canvas you choose, add a solid color Fill Layer at the bottom or the stack.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Layer Mask Transparency not White
                    Marcel1984 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I watched a video on www.lynda.com and when she expanded her canvas she had a white background. The same for when she choose a selection from the background. Any suggestions?

• 7. Re: Layer Mask Transparency not White
                      Marcel1984 Level 1

I tried that, thank you though.

• 8. Re: Layer Mask Transparency not White
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Yes.  She must have had a Background (likely) or configured the transparency to just look white (seems unlikely).

What csueble and I wrote weren't guesses.  It's how Photoshop works.  Now you'll need to work a bit to understand every word.  The key is that a Layer is not the same as the Background.

-Noel

• 9. Re: Layer Mask Transparency not White
                          Marcel1984 Level 1

I wasn't in any way suggesting you were making a guess. I watched a series of videos and at no time did she change her background layer. I was just trying to figure out if I did something wrong since my result was not the same.

I thought your response, "Now you'll need to work a bit to understand every word. " was utterly condescending and completely unhelpful. Please refrain from responding any further. I DO understand that a layer is not the same as a background. I'm sorry if I did not explain it well.

To everyone else, thank you so much!

• 10. Re: Layer Mask Transparency not White
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

You claim understanding, but in your example screen grab above shows Layer 0 not Background.  Perhaps the document you started with wasn't the same as that of the presenter.

I'm sorry you found my response to yours troublesome.  But you have to understand that your appearing to ignore it and ask for additional suggestions came across as anything but appreciative of our having taken time to answer you.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Layer Mask Transparency not White
                              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Take a look at those videos and see if there is a padlock on that layer they are expanding on. If there is not and it is the only layer there, then they have the transparency grid disabled which makes it look white. You can change the transparency grid in the preferences.

Now question, why do you need it to be white? Just so it looks like the tutorial? That is not a reason. You can not print white, white has no function. It may look cleaner, but transparency is really the better solution of the two, you will find that out when you need to overlay the image onto another image. If you prefer no grid, I recommend that you diable it or add another layer below your image and fill that layer with white. Then if you ever need to do an overlay you can.