8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 8:11 PM by A.T. Romano

display driver incompatible?

aksfraser27

i have been using premiere elements for about 4 months just fine. and then today when i tried to reopen an ongoing project, i get a message claiming my display driver in not compatible etc., and then it freezes up my computer. why the sudden change and what can i do about it? i already tried windows and intel updates but seems to have had no effect.

• 1. Re: display driver incompatible?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

akasfraser27

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What video card/graphics card does your computer use? Unless you are using Premiere Elements 10 and the card is NVIDIA GeForce type, go to the web site of the manufacturer of the card and assure that you have the latest version of the card's driver.

Do you have 1 or 2 video cards/graphics cards?

Depending on your details and results, we may end up deleting the BadDrivers.txt file, but more information is needed before we go there.

When do you get this display message...only when you are editing a certain format of video or just by opening a new project with no media yet imported?

Please review, supply the information needed, and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: display driver incompatible?
            aksfraser27 Level 1

i have:

premiere elements 11

windows 7 home premium

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD 64MB

DirectX 10

i already checked for updates for both Windows and Intel, they are current.

what i find strange is that it was working fine in the morning, and then in the afternoon when i reopened the program, the problem started... but i was not in a place with WiFi, so it's not as though there could have been a change from outside.

i get the prompt whenever i open the program and it then hangs, freezes and crashes my laptop.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: display driver incompatible?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

aksfraser27,

what i find strange is that it was working fine in the morning, and then in the afternoon when i reopened the program, the problem started... but i was not in a place with WiFi, so it's not as though there could have been a change from outside.

Video drivers are very fragile things. A lot of situations can basically render them obsolete, such as an OS update, or even a simple OS "hot-fix." Most users have their OS updates set to full automatic, and do not even know when the OS does the update. That is the default. I have my OS's set to ONLY notify me of update availability, so that I can choose what to update, and when to do it. Whenever I install a Windows update, I am prepared to also update my video driver, in case it ceases to function.

For most computer programs, the interface with the video driver is very loose, as if the video card can get a signal to the monitor, they work just fine. However, with a program, like PrE, the interfacing with the video driver is much more critical.

Good luck, and I believe that ATR has the same Intel GPU on one of his computers, so has good direct experience with it, and the video drivers. You are in good hands.

Hunt

• 4. Re: display driver incompatible?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

aksfraser27

Thanks for the reply.

Have you found consistently that if you run Premiere Elements 11 without the WiFi, no problems, with, problems?

When you are experiencing the problem, is the media in the project different than when you do not have the problem?

You could try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file to see if that impacts the issue at all. Its use here is not strictly indicated as per your description of the problem, but worth a try none the less.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. After you open Premiere Elements project again, a new BadDrivers.txt file will be generated by the program and hopefully the problem disappears. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Let us rule in or out any of the factors above and then we will decide what next is indicated.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: display driver incompatible?
                  aksfraser27 Level 1

no, once the problem happened, it's been consistantly happening now every time i try to open the open the program and regardless of which project i attempt to open. i will try the bad driver txt file thing and let you know if that helps at all.

-Lexi

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: display driver incompatible?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

aksfraser27

Thanks for the follow up.

We will be looking forward to your results from deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file.

That approach had its origins in the days of Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 when display issues dominated. The rationale for the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file in this type of situation is given in post 10 of the following older thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732067

It has been a life saver to those who have assured that they have the lastest video card version and that does not resolve the display notice.

ATR

• 7. Re: display driver incompatible?
                      aksfraser27 Level 1

yay!!

that fixed it!!

thank you so much

- Lexi

Sent from my iPhone

• 8. Re: display driver incompatible?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Lexi

Many thanks for that great news "that fixed it!"

Great job.

Best wishes going forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR