4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 12:41 AM by Lantau

Digital Signatures per page rather than per document

jlmccormack

I am looking for some type of solution allowing for digital signatures for pdf files using a certificate authority.

These documents will have signatures on each page.

Am looking for a solution which would be able to validate on a page-by-page basis rather than the entire document.

For example, if we had 10 pages with one signature on each page, and page 7 was changed, would only expect that the signature on page 7 be validated when making changes and not forcing the signatures on all the other 9 pages to be resigned.

Is anyone aware of such a solution?

• 1. Re: Digital Signatures per page rather than per document
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

There is none. This idea arises almost always from a flawed transfer of paper-based processes to digital signatures. There is never any reason to have signatures on each page, and indeed signatures aren't really "on" a page at all. There is only the signature appearance, a thing of no importance or value.

• 2. Re: Digital Signatures per page rather than per document
            Lantau

I have a similar problem. Firstly, I understand the "flawed" comment above but reality is flawed.

I have a number of documents in excess of 1000 pages which I am attempting to manage digitally. However, they need to be available for inspection by my regulator who still requires a paper format. I would like to be able to print, (or have my regulator print), the digitally signed document but still have something, even a small code or watermark, that would be printed on each page to tie the paper to the digital signature on the front of the document.

Is there such a feature?

• 3. Re: Digital Signatures per page rather than per document
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

I do understand that there may be elements of a paper based inspection. It is best not to think of these as digital signatures. I call them "scribbles". You can make your stamp or scanned signature, and can apply it to any or all pages. This of course has no value as "proof" but it may satisfy the need. Once stamping with scribbles is finished, a digital signature, a single one, seals the document, and you authenticate it as approved, scribbles and all.

• 4. Re: Digital Signatures per page rather than per document
                Lantau Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply. Stamps are not practical due to the number of pages but I just had a play with watermarks and that may end up being my solution.

P.S. I like your term "scribbles" to trivialise something that has no value as proof. :-)