9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2006 6:32 AM by Craig Grummitt

Video wont load

Sherro
      I have made a preloader and it works terrifc. My problem is I have a video with with the skins and it is on frame one. when I make my preloader I then shift the movie to frame 5 when the preloader does its job the movie doesnt show
      What do I need to do to make the movie appear.

i have three layers
      1. actions
      2 preloader
      3. video

Thankypu fpor any help

Sherro
        • 1. Video wont load
          Craig Grummitt Level 3
          try replacing Math.round with Math.floor.
          Math.round rounds up after 99.5, so the swf may not be 100% loaded when the preloader completes.
          • 2. Re: Video wont load
            Sherro Level 1
            Thankyou Craig
            Craig I changed Math.round to Math.floor and that didnt make my video appear
            I have the video on my website and it has no preloader. the video comes up really quick on adsl

when I add the preloader it doesnt work--
            There must be some command that i am missing
            Can you help

Thankyou
            Sherro
            • 3. Re: Video wont load
              Craig Grummitt Level 3
              more information required... how are you bringing the video in? is it external/internal? are you using flash media server? what version of flash are you using? you say "the video comes up really quick on adsl" - when does the video work and when does it not?
              • 4. Re: Video wont load
                Sherro Level 1
                I use quicktime to convert the video into a movie then import it into the stage and the flash does its thing it is on progressive download
                and converts it to a flash video with skins I then publish and export it and send it via dreamweaver, so simple and easy and it works as it should
                I would like to add a preloader which I have done and yoiu can see the actionscript for the preloader.
                i have three layers
                1. actions
                2 preloader
                3. video
                I have placed the video on frame ten of the video layer
                when I simulate the download the preloader works but the video does not--
                I seem to have the video in the wrong place or am I missing some code
                Thankyou Craig for your assistance

Sherro

I have flash 8 proffesional
                • 5. Re: Video wont load
                  Craig Grummitt Level 3
                  the code you posted earlier was:
                  gotoAndStop (5);
                  but in your last post you mentioned that the video was on frame 10... should i just put this down to you trying a few things since your first post?

when you test your movie, does it appear to go to the correct frame in the bandwidth profiler? when you say the video does not work, what exactly do you mean? nothing appears at all in the area the video should appear?
                  • 6. Re: Video wont load
                    Sherro Level 1
                    Thankyou Craig and I must compliment you on your website, very good
                    OK this is what is now happening after much experimenting Craig
                    When I simulate download the preloader is working as it should.
                    The green bar at the top of the simulte dowload page goes to frame 9 and stops, when I move the indicator on the green bar at the of the simulate download to the 10th frame the video starts playing.
                    Why does the indicator stop on frame 9 ?

Layers
                    1. actionScript --the code is on frame 1
                    2. the preloader is on frame 1 -- publish setting /Flash action script t 2.0 export frame for classes 2.
                    3. video is placed on frame 10

the code is
                    stop();

checkProgress = setInterval (getPercent,10);

function getPercent () {
                    var currentBytes = _root.getBytesLoaded();
                    var totalBytes = _root.getBytesTotal();
                    var pctLoaded = Math.round (currentBytes/totalBytes * 100);
                    loaderBar_mc._xscale = pctLoaded;
                    loader_txt.text = pctLoaded;

if (pctLoaded >= 100){
                    gotoAndStop (10);
                    clearInterval (checkProgress);
                    }
                    }

• 7. Re: Video wont load
                      Craig Grummitt Level 3
                      the most likely reason why it's going to frame 9 and not frame 10 is that frame 10 is not completely loaded yet. which brings us back to the preloader - which still has Math.round in it...? replace the following line:

var pctLoaded = Math.round (currentBytes/totalBytes * 100);

with:

var pctLoaded = Math.floor(currentBytes/totalBytes * 100);
                      • 8. Re: Video wont load
                        Sherro Level 1
                        Thankyou Craig
                        Sorry to say but that don't work
                        I am stumped but I guess there is a simple solution to this prob.
                        Seems no one else knows the solution
                        Thankyou once again for the time and effort you have put in trying to help me with this problem Craig
                        It should be an easy task make a preloader that allows dialup useres to know that something is loading, then your video opens but as always there is nothing straight forward in computer language.

Sherro
                        • 9. Re: Video wont load
                          Craig Grummitt Level 3
                          hmm.. i am stumped also. maybe if you could post a link to your fla i could help further.