10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 11:41 AM by Cathleen24

Master Page items shift after page insertion

Cathleen24

Indesign CS6: I've years of extensive experience using Master Pages. Now, however, when I insert a single page in a facing page document, the headers shift off the page. I've tried everything I can think of to stop this. I'm not using liquid layout or any of those layout things.

This is very problematic as I do textbooks with hundreds of graphics and I either have to manually move all the master page items on every page after an insertion; or I have to shift all graphics manually to the next page after moving those to the next page, and the next, and so on.

I'm praying this is just a "hey, you must have X set to X and by deselecting it you'll be fine." 

• 1. Re: Master Page items shift after page insertion
          smellboss Level 1

Can you post a before-and-after screen shot with your Pages panel open? It might be something as simple as selecting or deselecting "Allow document pages to shuffle" or "Allow selected spread to shuffle." Do you have the document set up as facing pages?

• 2. Re: Master Page items shift after page insertion
            Cathleen24 Level 1

Here is the before, after inserting, and the master page. I have allow shuffle selected.

Before.png

Here is the after:

After.png

Here is the Master Page.

Master Pages.png

• 3. Re: Master Page items shift after page insertion
              smellboss Level 1

That is peculiar. So you're adding a left-facing page before the previous left-facing page (with the wire illustration on it)? It can't be an inside bleed setting because it looks like your document is set up without bleed. And it appears from the screen shots that the running head and foot of the right-facing page haven't changed, just shifted to the right.

In the Pages panel, command-select the (multiple) right-facing pages that have shifted, then control-click on them and select "Apply master to pages...". Select the master from the drop-down menu. That might work.

• 4. Re: Master Page items shift after page insertion
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is CS6 patched to 8.0.2?

• 5. Re: Master Page items shift after page insertion
                  Cathleen24 Level 1

That works as a workaround in this case but this actually isn't a good example, because 96% of the books I do I have one text frame for the headers on left and one on right and then rather than create a master page for each chapter title, I just apply the one generic master, click and unlink it from master page and change to that chapter. (Believe me, I've done this for YEARS and this is the most efficient way.)

If I were to do this "workaround," it would give me double header text frames because once I've broken it from the master page, if I were to reapply the master page (this workaround) it will  lay the master page version on top of the frame I modified.

It didn't used to do this. I've just started noticing it. Oh, and I get that wonderful "This is a custom size, use current or Master page size" which is crazy as there's no difference in page size!  Argh.

I've also exported as an .idml and reopened hoping to shake off what was happening. I think it has something to do with the liquid layout or alternate layout--neither of which do I use.

Thanks for your help. I've got to figure this out. This is my business and I can't leave it as is.

• 6. Re: Master Page items shift after page insertion
                    Cathleen24 Level 1

Is that part of the subscription service update? I decided not to be locked into this service. I'm at 8.0.1.

• 7. Re: Master Page items shift after page insertion
                      smellboss Level 1

I also typeset long documents (250 - 850 pages), but we always work chapter-by-chapter to avoid problems like the one you're facing.

• 8. Re: Master Page items shift after page insertion
                        Cathleen24 Level 1

I work with textbooks that are say Chapter 1, but chapter 1 is made up of 30 articles which are like mini-books within Chapter 1. Some articles are 20 pages some are 2 pages. So, to create a stand-alone Indesign file for each doesn't work. And then the non-fiction books I do, you could have 20 chapters, and doesn't make sense to make 20 master pages or 20 Indesign files. My system of one generic master and then click, paste chapter title, apply style, copy, then paste in remaining pages, works great.

Until now when I can add or delete pages without the whole thing blowing up! 

Thanks again for your help. I was so hoping it was that pages shuffle thing. Oh well.

• 9. Re: Master Page items shift after page insertion
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Updates are for everyone...

• 10. Re: Master Page items shift after page insertion
                            Cathleen24 Level 1

I'm not in the Creative Cloud which is why I didn't think I had another update out there. But I did go to the link and there was nothing about it only for Creative Cloud and I downloaded the Indesign 8.0.2 patch and next thing I know I've received an email welcoming me to the Creative Cloud. I have NOT joined the cloud. Now I get to have fun tracking this down and figuring out why it thinks I've joined. I've not installed the 8.0.2 update either. Argh.