5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 1:43 PM by ECBowen

Adobe Premiere Pro and ASUS Xonar DGX sound card.

Ze_Povinho Level 1

Hello!

I purchased an ASUS Xonar DGX sound card. I will be working on audio mostly with good headphones.

Which technical considerations must I take into consideration if I want to tread and and edit audio in Premiere and other Adobe programs?

I read something about Adobe System requirments and Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model but this was not very clear to me.

There are people saying that the Asus drivers are not the best ones and they reccomend using asus xonar dgx third party drivers to achieve better results. But will they work with Adobe Premiere?

How can I make sure that Adobe Premiere will make use of my sound card?

(tech info here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Audio_Card/Xonar_DGX/E7798_Xonar_DGX.pdf )

onboard Audio Chipset Realtek ALC892

(tech info here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC898_DataSheet_0.60.pdf )

Will the dedicated audio card produce better results that the onboard Audio Chipset?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro and ASUS Xonar DGX sound card.
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Those are Direct X drivers which are Windows Direct Sound or WDM module. Asio is a different Driver module used by Pro Level Audio interfaces because it offers lower latency than WDM ie Direct Sound. However Premiere has an issue sometimes syncing the audio to video using the Asio driver modules for devices. You are better of using the WIndows Audio module with Premiere by selecting the Windows Audio device currently set in Control Panel under sound. Audition is where you want to use the Asio driver. That is selectable inside of Audition specifically. I don't recommend using 3rd party drivers unless you have to. Also Asio 4 All will add Asio to onboard devices or consumer devices like the Xonar if they don't have an Asio driver. The latency is higher than a normal Asio driver but its close.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro and ASUS Xonar DGX sound card.
            Ze_Povinho Level 1

Thank you ECBowen!
            I am not planning to reccord sounds using my computer. I just want to have the best possible sound quality when editing video or audio. Be it in Premiere or Audition. As far as I understood Asio Drivers are used to reduce lantency when recording audio.

Shall I use Asio Drivers anyway?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro and ASUS Xonar DGX sound card.

Asio reduces latency in general that is often used for recording or VST/composing. Some use it for live as well. The other benefit to Asio is multi channel support. Asio allows multiple individual mono channels and routing. Those are things required for any audio production. I would use the Windows audio for Premiere and Asio for Audition.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro and ASUS Xonar DGX sound card.
                Ze_Povinho Level 1

Thank you ECBowen!

Two more questions.

1) I also understood from what I read that if I use Asio drivers in any sound application (be it Audition or a media player) I can't play sounds on other programs.

I mean, if I select Asio Drivers for Audition, all other windows sounds won't play while I am using Audition. Is this right?

2) Regarding Adobe Premiere, sometimes I just do audio correction (noise reduction, EQ, reverb, etc.) in Premiere. Does this means that the final quality of the audio will be lower than if I use Audition to perform the same tasks? Does Windows Audio Drivers produce lower quality audio than if I use other drivers such as the Asio ones?
                If so, shall I assume that the best workflow is to Edit in Premiere > Export the audio tracks to Audition and treat all audio in Audition > import the final result in Premiere for exporting with the video file?

The Xonar DGX audio card suports asio 2.0 drivers 44.1K/48K/96KHz @16/24bit

Thank you for your time and making this audio drivers subject more clear to me.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro and ASUS Xonar DGX sound card.

1. Asio is able to achice the low latency because it locks the device down to that application. That is how it works. WDM ie Windows audio will share the device between applications.

2. No the drivers should not effect the quality. Audition will have better quality options because the filtering is better in Audition though so that ideally is where you want to handle that. Yes Asio also supports sample rates greater than 48K including 96K and 192K.

Eric

ADK