Exit

Problem - Section numbers not autonumbering

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a book with the following document layout:

JHSV_EOM book layout.jpg

(Note: JHSV_Chapter_1.fm and JHSV_Ch1.fm are excluded documents.)

I have set Section 1-1 to start numbering at Section #: 1.  The remaining sections are set to Continue numbering from previous section in book:

JHSV_EOM num properties.jpg

I can't get the section header numbers to autonumber.  I need them to be Section 1.2, 1.3, and so on. As can be seen below, the section numbers have reset back to 1.1.  (The figure titles remain correct since I have not updated my references.)  My header paragraph format can also be seen in the image below.

I have fought with this all day yesterday.  At one point, it actually corrected itself (hence, the correct figure numbers).  But now it has reset.

Help!

JHSV_EOM all.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Section Numbering is controlled by the <$sectionum> building block. I don't see you using that in your paratag auto-number format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  That fixed it!

Sort of.

Now I have another related problem.  The section numbering is not continuing from previous section.  In order for this autonumbering to work, I have to manually set the section numbers, which I shouldn't have to do. 

Below is a screen capture.  I have section 1 manually set.  Section 2, as well, since I wanted to conduct a test to see if the autonumbering worked.  But the following sections, as can be seen, are set to continue, but they're not doing so. 

JHSV_EOM sections.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore the prior post.  I learned something:

You cannot import formats unless the document is literally opened.  I thought you could just select the book (at the left) and import format.

And then one must be sure to Refresh the book for changes to take place.

All things that I didn't do, but now have and all is wonderful and good.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, actually you can import the formats to all files in a book, but you have to select the files within the book file panel first (not just the first line showing the book namee) in order to import to (and they don't have to be open).

If the files aren't open, FM will open the files, import, save and close, i.e. no undo. However, if you open the files first, then you control the save, i.e. you can throw away the import by not saving when you go to close the file (allows undo).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you set the Section building block at the book level for all relevant files? It looks like you did, but just checking (book always trumps file settings), i.e. did you also set it in the individual files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines