7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 12:59 PM by A.T. Romano

Sharing a movie

Jack/Mary

I made a movie and emailed it to friends.  Their computers cannot read the dot prel after the movie title.  Can someone help??  Thanks

• 1. Re: Sharing a movie
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

.prel is your PROJECT file, not your finished movie

Go to The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 and start clicking the SHARING links

• 2. Re: Sharing a movie
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jack/Mary,

The .PREL file is ONLY the PrE Project file. It is NOT an AV file. For that, you need to use Publish+Share, per John T's link. Then, you can specify the details of the output AV file.

For more info on what a Project file is, and what it is not, see this Tips & Tricks article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/477920?tstart=30

Good luck, and hope that helps explain why the e-mail recipients could not play the .PREL file.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Sharing a movie
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jack/Mary

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

The first order of business is to set up the project to match the properties of your Timeline so that you get the right

space set up in the Edit area monitor for editing purposes.

Once you have your Timeline content editing, you will need to export it in a video format for others to view. The project file (project.prel) is

just that a project file).

Since you are emailing your work, I suggest that you look at the .wmv video format which will give you the smallest file size

for emailing.

If you have Premiere Elements 12, then you would use

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

then we need to select a preset for the export which will save you file to the computer hard drive from where you can do your

emailing.

Without more details, we can only generalize. Please tell us the properties of what is in your Timeline content that you want to share

video

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

Sometimes we can get all those answers from knowin the brand/model/settings for the camera used to record the video

stills

pixel dimensions

how many

Once we get this type of information, we can give you specific project settings and export settings for your emailing.

Please review and then let us know any questions or need for clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Sharing a movie
                Jack/Mary Level 1

Thank you for your response.  I have Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 12.  I have Windows 7.  I am attempting to educate myself so any additional advice you can offer is appreciated.  Thanks,  Jack Powers

• 5. Re: Sharing a movie
                  Jack/Mary Level 1

The camera is my wife’s IPad  Video  I don’t know the purpose of timeline.  Jack

• 6. Re: Sharing a movie
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I don’t know

If you will go back to my reply #1 and click the link for the tutorials, you may start at the top and begin learning

• 7. Re: Sharing a movie
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jack Powers

Premiere Elements 12 has two essential workspaces, one named Expert and one named Quick.

The Expert workspace uses an area named Timeline where you assemble and edit your imported media. (Basically it is composed of tracks.)

Timeline.JPG

The Quick workspace uses an area Filmstrip where you assemble and edit your imported media. (Basically it is composed of scene spaces.)

Filmstrip.JPG

What I need for you to do is to find out the properties of your wife's iPad video - 1080p or something else?

But, here is the plan based on what you wrote and the impression of what I am getting on your spot on the Premiere Elements 12 learning curve.

This is going to be a mini test run.

1. Open Premiere Elements 12 to its Expert Workpace (Click on Expert and then Guided).

2. When you are in Expert Guided, you will see several projects for you to work through to get experience in different aspect of the program.

3. In Expert Guided, select the "Getting Started with Premiere Elements" lesson plan. When it gets to the point where you select a video, browse to and select your iPad video and follow the exercise to its conclusion.

4. You can continue and work through all the excercises there using your video as the media source.

After you get through all that, we can start your own new project in just "Expert" and then we will customized to suit your editing and exporting needs.

Please view and let us know if that works for you.

I think that the in program Guided section will give you the greatest advantage at this time in developing a feel for the program.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR