10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 2:34 PM by Steve Grisetti

First time user is frustrated. How do I "save" my edited video?

Des01a

I watched the tutorial, but I'm still not fully understanding how to use "QUICK" View to edit my video. I have a 22 minute video, and need to shorten it to 10 minutes. That means deleting pieces here and there, in order to reach my goal. After I am finished, how do I "save" the finished version?

I would appreciate 'step by step' instructions.

I also want to upload it to a presentation (ie: Powerpoint).

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

• 1. Re: First time user is frustrated. How do I "save" my edited video?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, once you have most of your Assets on the Timeline, I would switch to Expert View, to Trim (tightening up the beginning, and/or end of the Clips), or to easily Delete Clips that you do not need. This is much easier, at that point, than Quick View, IMO.

As for "save," you can Save, Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy, but that is JUST for the Project and the Timeline.

If you mean to output an AV file from the Timeline, that would be through Publish+Share. There, you can output the Timeline to any number of different file formats. How you plan to deliver, or dispaly will dictate what choices to make.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: First time user is frustrated. How do I "save" my edited video?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For more info on Project Files and the various forms of Save, this Tips & Tricks article has some useful tips: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/477920?tstart=30

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: First time user is frustrated. How do I "save" my edited video?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 and click the several SHARING links

• 4. Re: First time user is frustrated. How do I "save" my edited video?
                Des01a Level 1

I'm in over my head. If I understand it correctly, I can "Save As...... " (new name )my edited video to my computer. What I do not understand, is how do I then use Powerpoint to view this edited video ?   Thank you.

• 5. Re: First time user is frustrated. How do I "save" my edited video?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, when you Save, Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy, you have not created any media file.

That is done when you Publish+Share.

For use in PowerPoint, the MS WMV format is usually a good one. PowerPoint can handle other types of Video, but that should be ideal.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: First time user is frustrated. How do I "save" my edited video?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Des01a

What version of Microsoft PowerPoint do you have? I have Microsoft PowerPoint 2010, so I can give you a step by step getting a video in the right format into PowerPoint.

Best advice is to get out of Quick workspace into Expert workspace so that you can see what you are doing better with the here and there deletes.

I am going to need some basic information to put things together for you

What project preset did you or the project select? If you do not know, tell me what it says under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General for

Editing Mode

Timebase

Frame Size

Pixel Aspect Ratio

even if the fields look grayed out to you.

By the way, what are you using Premiere Elements 11 or 12 on what computer operating system?

I will give you a step by step on the Publish+Share/Computer side of things.

More later.

Please check out the above. We will be watching for further details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: First time user is frustrated. How do I "save" my edited video?
                      Des01a Level 1

ATR,

I have listed the answers in order of your questions. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

1) I do not have a copy of Powerpoint, but must go out and purchase one.

2) I have begun using Premiere products for the first time this week. I have only used 'Quick' workspace, and am not comfortable yet to attempt using 'Expert' workspace. Though, ideally, I would like to figure out a way to "insert" black frames between the frames that I have cut (ie: a fade in/fade out type of look if possible).

3) Project Preset = default chosen by the application.

Editing Mode = Sony XDCAM ex 720p

Timebase = 29.97 frames

Frame size = 640 x 480

Pixed ration = Square (1.0)

I am using Premiere Elements 12.

I hope this helps.

I also do not understand how to "make a copy onto DVD" of my edited video, to show someone my progress.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: First time user is frustrated. How do I "save" my edited video?
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>do not understand how to "make a copy onto DVD" of my edited video

Go to my reply #3 and click to go to the tutorials page... and then click the appropriate SHARING link

• 9. Re: First time user is frustrated. How do I "save" my edited video?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Des01a

Thanks for the additional details of your project.

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General data indicates that the program has set your project preset

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p

Consequently, it would appear that the program has idenified your source video as

640 x 480 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

For the following, stay in the Quick workspace (but try to move over permanently to the Expert workspace  which has more features and where you can see better what is happening therefore you will have more control over your workflow.

This is just going to give you an export that you can share with your associates and which you should be able to get into Microsoft PowerPoint (at least 2010) easily.

With your video in the Quick workspace Filmstrip, click on Publish+Share/Computer/Windows Media.

Where it says Presets, set that to "720 x 480 4x3 29.97"

In the Save In field, designate you save location for the file to be exported/saved.

Hit Save.

When you get PowerPoint, you can import that .wmv file from your computer hard drive save location into the computer's PowerPoint via PowerPoint's Insert/Video.

If you want to share your Filmstrip content with another so that the person can view it on his/her TV DVD player, then click on Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, use the preset NTSC Dolby DVD, and, with your DVD disc in the DVD burner, click Burn.

Please check out the above and let us know if any of that works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: First time user is frustrated. How do I "save" my edited video?
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And don't forget to check out this free 8-part Basic Training tutorials series. It takes you from creating a project to outputting a finished video.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685