17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 8:59 AM by the_wine_snob

PE12 Freezes

NewRedHouse Level 1

I have a new Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p. on Downloading PE12, I find that every minute or two, the cursor freezes and won't allow me to continue. I can't even shut down the program and have to reboot. What can I do? The laptop is fully up to date. There's plent of storage and memory.

• 1. Re: PE12 Freezes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder  is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you add this video in Expert view, do you see a yellow-orange line above these clips, along the top of the timeline? This is an indicator that your project settings do not match your video specs.

Also, have you enabled both Windows and Microsoft Updates on your computer and ensured that you have all of the latest updates, including those that do not install automatically?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime?

Have you run Windows Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter to tune up your system?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE12 Freezes
            NewRedHouse Level 1

Thansk Steve

I'll need to have a look at these points later, when I get home.

I will say the camera had no problems with PrE10. And I updated the coomputer last night. Quicktime wasn't on it.

I shall take a look and let you know.

Many thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: PE12 Freezes
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>The laptop is fully up to date

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Go to the Windows Control Panel and select Hardware and Sound and then select Device Manager... In Device manager you click the + sign to the left of Display Adapters... and see if 2 are listed... if you have dual graphics adapters, there is a different round of troubleshooting

• 4. Re: PE12 Freezes
                NewRedHouse Level 1

Hi

The camera is a Panasonic HDC TM700. This, I don't think is a problem. And the lines you mention in Expert View aren't present. Everything is up tp date, including Quicktime.

Doing as you suggest, in Device Manager etc., two Display Adaptors do seem to be listed. I say 'seem' because the same one is listed twice, which is Nvidia GeForce GT 755m

Does this help?

• 5. Re: PE12 Freezes
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

NewRedHouse,

two Display Adaptors do seem to be listed. I say 'seem' because the same one is listed twice, which is Nvidia GeForce GT 755m

Do you perhaps have dual nVidia cards, possibly running through SLI?

Thanks for that info,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE12 Freezes
                    NewRedHouse Level 1

I'll be honest, I have no idea what you mean by SLI.

What I shall say is this. The program doesn'tfreeze, just the cursor. Either as a 'stop' sign, or an arrow. It moves but won't 'click'. Very frustrating.

And thank you, btw.

• 7. Re: PE12 Freezes
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

NewRedHouse,

SLI is a setup that allows one to use two GPU's (video cards or chips), in certain programs - heavy 3D work, extreme gaming and some CAD programs. However, SLI can cause loads of issues for most Adobe programs. SLI is very similar to Crossfire, a system that allows one to use two AMD/ATI GPU's. It's due to those potential problems with SLI that I asked.

When I upgraded from my older Sager laptop, their top models ONLY came with dual nVidia GPU's in SLI configuration, as their target audience is extreme gamers. I went with a different provider, ADK, as I could just as powerful a laptop, but was not forced to go to dual GPU's in SLI. That GPU configuration narrowed my search down, as I know that most of my Adobe programs cannot use it, and many have serious problems with it.

From the Windows Run, I would type in "dxdiag" without the quotation marks, and then look at the dialog screen, to gather the full details of your system - be sure to see both the System and Display tabs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE12 Freezes
                        NewRedHouse Level 1

Thank you. So I can't use the program on this computer, is what I'm getting. That's bad, really.

I have a Pr10, I might load that up, though I guess I'll have the same 'crash' problem.

I have Sony Movie Make and I don't think it's as good. But at least it can be loaded and used. Going through all this is ludicrous. I just want tp use a program that really ought to work.

But thank you for your time. I'm sorry I can't say it worked out.

• 9. Re: PE12 Freezes
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

NewRedHouse,

Until we find out IF your laptop has dual GPU's, and they ARE setup for SLI, let's not jump to the conclusion that PrE won't work. Probably a bit more troubleshooting to do, before that.

Did that DirectX utility say that you DO have dual GPU's, and that they are configured in SLI?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE12 Freezes
                            NewRedHouse Level 1

Thanks.

No, neither 'system' or 'display' suggest that. Here's system:

Time of this report: 3/6/2014, 08:04:07

Machine name: LENOVO-PC

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.131030-1505)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: LENOVO

System Model: 20217

BIOS: 74CN44WW(V3.05)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 12288MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 12234MB RAM

Page File: 2364MB used, 11725MB available

Windows Dir: C:\windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown

DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

And Display:

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GT 755M

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FCD&SUBSYS_380017AA&REV_A1

Display Memory: 4033 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1985 MB

Shared Memory: 2048 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: LGD0416

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (59.934Hz)

Output Type: Internal

• 11. Re: PE12 Freezes
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct. I see nothing to indicate dual nVidia GPU's, and no SLI then.

I think that we can put that behind us, but thank you for posting those details.

I would next check what nVidia video driver version and date, you have installed, against the latest available from nVidia, for your OS. If you do not have the very latest version, I would download and install that. Do not trust Windows to tell you if you have the latest, as it will almost always be at least 6 mos. out of date. Even a brand new computer is not likely to have the very latest video driver, as the OS and drivers are installed from a master install disc at the factory, and those are usually several moths out of date.

Also, check that you have the latest updates for the OS, and that includes the minor updates, not just the main security updates.

Again, thank you for that information, and taking the time to run the DirectX utility. It can also tell you the number and date of your installed video driver - a very useful tool.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE12 Freezes
                                NewRedHouse Level 1

Thanks Bill

I'll do as you suggest and thank you for you time.

• 13. Re: PE12 Freezes
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

Sorry that the "dual GPU and SLI" were not involved, and took some time to sort out, but thank you for checking on that. While not common outside the extreme gaming, or 3D/CAD arenas, when I saw that two GPU's were listed in Device Manager, I worried that it might be an issue - it is not.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on the progress of your troubleshooting.

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE12 Freezes
                                    NewRedHouse Level 1

To keep you posted, Bill.

Playing about with it, I noticed that on opening the program, two icons appeared, as if opening twice. Which seemed odd.

Anyway, I uninstalled and reinstalled. And now it seems to be working! At least for now. If it goes wrong, I'll come back but thank you for all of your help.

Jason

• 15. Re: PE12 Freezes
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jason,

I noticed that on opening the program, two icons appeared, as if opening twice. Which seemed odd.

Are you referring to two separate PrE icons on your Desktop?

If so, I would Rt-click on each, and determine if they lead to the same target file, in the same location.

That is curious,

Hunt

• 16. Re: PE12 Freezes
                                        NewRedHouse Level 1

On the desktop on WIndows 8.1, the bottom icon bar (or whatever it's called). Two separate Icons. A sI say, it doesn't happen now. If it re-appears, I will. But I hope I don't have to!

Jason

• 17. Re: PE12 Freezes
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That's right, you are on Win8.

Maybe some day I will upgrade OS's, but have not done so, and the icons in Win8 do not seem to be something that I will embrace. Time will tell.

As for your duplicate icons, I also hope that they do not reappear.

Good luck,

Hunt