A "Transcoding Error" can have many causes. Some things to look into:
- What OS version are you running PrE 12 on?
- What are the file types (full details would be helpful) of your Assets on your Timeline, such as MTS Video @ 1920 x 1080 30FPS w/ H.264 CODEC, MP3 Audio, Still Images in JPEG format @ 1920 x 1080 pixels, etc.?
- Are you authoring to DVD-Video (it appears that you are)?
- Do you have Menus in your Project?
- If so, which ones?
- Do you have Chapter Markers?
- Are any very close to others?
- Do you have Stop Markers?
- If so, do you have one at the end of the Timeline?
- In your Timeline, do you have any gaps in the Video, that are not covered by another Video, a Still Image or a Title?
Those cover many of the potential problems.
Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.
Thanks for your reply. I think I have solved it. I am used to using Premiere Pro and when I import footage I am promted to match project settings, Elements didnt give me that option so by going into the project settings I managed to match with the footage and export correctly
Great news, and thanks for reporting your success.
Good luck, and happy editing. If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to ask them here.
Thanks for your reply, and your report on solving your own problem.
However, I am not seeing a connection between problem and your solution.
You cannot make significant changes to project settings (in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General) after you or the program have set the project settings. You would have to start a new project in order to do that. (Exception under certain circumstances http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings-without.html )
So, if you corrected your issue by going into
by going into the project settings I managed to match with the footage and export correctly
I would question that unless you started a new project and manually set the project preset to match the properties of your source media
...change the project preset, and, before leaving that area, have a check mark next to "Force Seletected Project Settings on This Project".
Then back in the Premiere Elements workspace, Add Media/....
Please refer to
I can see starting a new project for resolving a project problem, but I am not seeing changing Project Settings under project's Edit Menu as resolving the issue. And, the cause and effect between project setting and a burn to transcoding error are still not clear here.
If you now have a working project, great. But please consider the above moving forward.
Your right, I started a new project!
A new questions though, is ther an easy way to get the project to match the footage I import?
>way to get the project to match the footage I import
Link lines 4 + 5 at the link I posted in reply #5 discusses project settings
is there an easy way to get the project to match the footage I import
If by easy you mean getting the program to set automatically the correct project preset with 100% accuracy, No.
Premiere Elements 11 and 12 are designed by Adobe to take over setting the project preset based on the properties of the first drag file to the Timeline and their match to several criteria in the project preset choices. When and if the program cannot make a match, it does not give you the closest match. Rather it defaults to its default 1080i. A check of Edit Menu/Project Settings/General readings will let you know what the program has set. If not right, then you need to set the project preset yourself manually. All of this was mentioned in the blog post to which I referred you on the matter. But, the bottom line on all this is that the user needs to know the properties of the source media in order to determine what to aim for in the way of project settings (project preset).
Sometimes the user can get this type of video properties information by knowing the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video. Property readout programs such as MediaInfo and gspot can be the answer for some to get the wanted information.
And, when you think you have it all, you can discover that a "match" cannot be made. But at least with File Menu/New/Project, the manual way, you can control the "closest to" and not be stuck with the "default 1080i" the program set way.
Sometimes, what seems like the smallest matter can cause problem setting the project preset. Example, if the "perfect" project set includes 59.94 frames per second in its description and the frame rate of the file is actually 60 frames per second.
In the case of your transcoding error, I am suspecting that the core of your problem was not the project settings (project presets) but rather some flaw in the Timeline content that was corrected by going to a new project.
We will be looking forward to further developments in your Premiere Elements workflows.