29 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2014 1:38 PM by A.T. Romano RSS

time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

PCNoviceMesa Community Member

several questions:

1) I sent a comment 2/24 about searching thru my video using comments I had added to either the timeline marker or menu marker (can't remember which one). That is, I thought I had found a menu where I could find all  the markers I had made with the comments I had added, then cursor thru the each one till I found the clip I wanted, then click on the one I wanted to immediately take me to the spot on the timeline. I didn't see a reply to that question specifically so am wondering if that exists or not. Searching for a specific clip using comments added would be easier than 'numbers' or 'previous/ next', unless I make a list of the clip numbers with names and numbers assigned to each. It is just annoying to move the CTI head thru all my video looking for the exact spot when I can't remember the number I gave a clip.

2) Also, I can't find the difference between a timeline marker and a menu marker in 'function' along the timeline. What is the difference in their 'function' and how each helps me? I see their distinct icon, but don't know the difference in function to editing.

3) I am trying to narrow the work bar area as suggested by Mr Grisetti, but can't figure out how to restore to the previousre work bar area when I am finished rendering or editing. He said to 'click on the back slash' in the video, but doing this collapses the timeline to its minimal size. Then I have to expand to continue editing. So I can adjust the work area using the techniques in Mr Grisetti's video, but cant' figure out how to exit it w/o collapasing the entire video to a size that is not useful for editing.

4) a simple question: I can't find what the 'opacity' element does for me.

thanks again for your great help...!!

Bob in COakaPCNoviceMesa

• 1. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity
          Steve Grisetti MVP

That's a lot of questions for one thread, PCNovice. Are you sure you don't want to spread those out a bit (or order a copy of my book, which includes most of the answers)?

1) Without background on this question, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Maybe someone else can help you.

2) Menu Markers link to scenes in your Movie Menu. Generic timeline Markers are just reference points for you as you edit.

3) If you press the \ key again, the timeline should expand back to its previous zoom point. Or you can use the zoom slider on the timeline or just use the - and + keys on your keyboard to zoom in and out.

4) Opacity is the opposite of transparency. The lower the Opacity, the more transparent a clip is.

• 2. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

OK thanks for quick reply. I will post a single question about the menu marker comments and retrieval.

• 3. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity
              Steve Grisetti MVP

Or order my book -- which has all the answers.

http://muvipix.com/pe12.php

• 4. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity
                A.T. Romano Community Member

PCNoviceMesa

1) I sent a comment 2/24 about searching thru my video using comments I had added to either the timeline marker or menu marker (can't remember which one). That is, I thought I had found a menu where I could find all  the markers I had made with the comments I had added, then cursor thru the each one till I found the clip I wanted, then click on the one I wanted to immediately take me to the spot on the timeline. I didn't see a reply to that question specifically so am wondering if that exists or not. Searching for a specific clip using comments added would be easier than 'numbers' or 'previous/ next', unless I make a list of the clip numbers with names and numbers assigned to each. It is just annoying to move the CTI head thru all my video looking for the exact spot when I can't remember the number I gave a clip.

I am not sure I am interpreting your question here. But here is my take on what I think that you are asking about.

In Premiere Elements you can place comments about a scene at the TImeline level using "Unnumbered Menu Markers". This type of maker is light blue and looks like a tab. This type of marker does not show up in the end product whether you save the Timeline as a file or burn the Timeline to disc. It is placed on the Timeline where you have the Timeline Indicator position using Markers Tab/Timeline Marker/Set Timeline marker/Unnumbered.

In contrast to this type of Timeline marker, there are the menu markers which will be represented in the disc menu created. Scene marker, green circle with black dot in middle; Main marker, blue circle with black dot in middle; stop marker, red circle with black line. When you want a Timeline scene to be represented on the main menu of your disc menu, then you use a main menu marker on the Timeline. When you want a Timeline scene to be represented on the scene menu of your disc menu, then you use a scene menu marker on the Timeline.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-forget-me-not-clip-details-and.html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7e 19.html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS577D23E8-5A07-4ff8-A962-4A46F814AE6E. html

2) Also, I can't find the difference between a timeline marker and a menu marker in 'function' along the timeline. What is the difference in their 'function' and how each helps me? I see their distinct icon, but don't know the difference in function to editing.

In the editing area, the major marker for helping you edit is the unnumbered marker which can be used

a. for comments

b. in place of beat detection feature to have photos placed at the location of the unnumbered marker when you are using the Create Slideshow option in Project Assets right click of a group of media files.

The disc menus are for just that. Their Timeline locations are linked to the disc menu locations where you want a scene or movie to be - main menu or scene menu.

3) I am trying to narrow the work bar area as suggested by Mr Grisetti, but can't figure out how to restore to the previousre work bar area when I am finished rendering or editing. He said to 'click on the back slash' in the video, but doing this collapses the timeline to its minimal size. Then I have to expand to continue editing. So I can adjust the work area using the techniques in Mr Grisetti's video, but cant' figure out how to exit it w/o collapasing the entire video to a size that is not useful for editing.

If you want to change the location of the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar after you have moved them to a new location to do selective rendering of the Timeline or selective exporting, please look at the following

a. Move the Timeline Indicator to the start of the Timeline Content, hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard and press the left bracket key [ of the computer main keyboard.

b. Move the Timeline Indicator to the edn of the Timeline Content, hodl down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard and press the right brack key ] of the computer main keyboard.

4) a simple question: I can't find what the 'opacity' element does for me.

By example, if I have two photos directly above one another, one on Video 1 and one on Video 2, all I am going to see in the monitor is the photo on Video 2.

But, if I lower its Opacity I can see part of or all of the photo on Video 1 depend how low I take the Opacity on a scale of 100 to 0%. Sometimes you might want to create an image with a subtle background of the other in it...or other.

Please check out the above and see if I have targeted any of your questions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

I appreciate all the help you give and I may order your book. However the fix to restore the work bar area by pressing the back slash doesn’t work for me. So I have to manually move the work bar tabs and expand the work area. seems like a time waster. I will try again..maybe I don’t know what the back slash is or am clicking wrong. 2/3 of all the problems I have with my PC is my ignorance. Still learning all of this and if I stick with it I may  purchase your book.  thanks again for you help...

• 6. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity
                    the_wine_snob Community Member

For the WAB, it starts our automatically expanding to cover the entire area of the Timeline, that has been used. However, if the WAB has been reset, that automatic expanding does not happen any longer.

The easiest way to expand it manually is to zoom out on the Timeline view (that \, Back Slash key), and THEN Dbl-clicking on the little "box" in the center of the WAB area, the one that is in the middle of the WAB area. That will then expand the WAB to enclose all of the used area.

One can also Click+drag the WAB "bracket," or hit the End key to get to the end of the last Asset on the Timeline, then make sure that the CTI (Current Time Indicator) is at the end too, and then hit the Alt+ ] (closed Bracket key), to move the end bracket to that point.

I like the Dbl-click on that little center "box," as I find it faster.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit - corrected typo]

• 7. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

PCNoviceMesa

The following are some screenshot which refer back to SG's and Hunt's suggestions, but using details of my example

Given that you have Timeline content with 4 photos and you want to move the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the 2nd and 3rd photos. Before you move the gray tabs, the Timeline content would appear at the start as shown in screenshot 1

WBA1.JPG

Not much of a view of the Timeline content, to set the gray tabs or see much of anything else. So, you expand the view by pressing the \ key of the computer main keyboard to get the following expanded view as shown in screenshot 2

WAB2.JPG

Now you set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just photos 2 and 3 as shown in the next screenshot 3

WAB3.JPG

Now you decide to get the gray tabs back to spanning the whole Timeline content.

I had suggested moving the Timeline Indicator to the start of the Timeline, holding down the Alt key as you hit the left bracket key [, followed by moving the Timeline Indicator to the end of the Timeline content, holding down the Alt key as you hit the right bracket key ].

Hunt is suggesting to get the same end result but by just double clicking that marking that I am pointing to with a red arrow to get the gray tabs to span the whole Timeline content again as shown in that next screenshot.

WBA4.JPG

In Hunt's post, he refers to the WAV area. I suspect that is a typing error and should be his abbreivation for Work Area Bar (WAB).

Also, I would ask him to clarify his last sentence

or hit the End key to get to the end of the last Asset on the Timeline, then make sure that the CTI (Current Time Indicator) is at the end too, and then hit the ] (closed Bracket key), to move the end bracket to that point.

I do not believe that can be done without holding down the Alt key.

ATR

• 8. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

ATR,

In Hunt's post, he refers to the WAV area. I suspect that is a typing error and should be his abbreivation for Work Area Bar (WAB).

You are correct - a typo. That danged V key is so close to the B key, and I did not pick up on that, while typing, as I also type "WAV" so often when discussing Audio.

I have since corrected that typo.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 9. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

Hunt

Thanks.

What about the inclusion of the Alt key with the right bracket key for setting the right gray tab of the Work Area Bar?

ATR

• 10. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

Got it.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 11. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

OK. this seems straight forward and will give it a try. I wonder if SG’s reference to using the back slash was actually an instruction to click on ‘that marking’. I see the marking in the screen shot. I am wondering what makes it appear in the timeline. I will practice a bit to figure it out. I will review your reply to my timeline markers question when I have time. thanks again to you, Hunt, and SG for continued help...

• 12. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

PCNoviceMesa

Here is my take on the \ versus the "that marking" on the Work Area Bar.

They are different.

The double clicking of "that marking" relates to the positions of the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar.

The \ relates to expanding the Timeline as reflected in the -+ slider above the Timeline. That slider can also

be controlled with its slider knob or the Zoom Out ( - ) box or Zoom In ( = ) box to the left and right of

the slider path respectively.

Looking forward to the results of your practicing with the features.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

OK...hello.I have tried you suggestions for time line marker definition and restoration. So here is my attempt to show with screen shots.

#1 is merely showing that the WAB as defined by the beginning and end. #2 shows that I have delimited the end point, unfortunately the beginning WAB tab is not shown. #3 shows the limits of the WAB that I set. #4 shows what happens when I have completed edits within WAB, and then click on ‘that mark’ as suggested in your previous email and by Mr Hunt. The time line has collapsed and the WAB is shown as I set I guess, only in collapsed view. When I click on ‘that mark’ again it moves to the end of timeline, but I have to manually expand the timeline to get it restored. maybe this is as good as it gets. I guess my point is that I try to follow instructions but they don’t seem to work as given. The ‘click backslash’ suggestion of Mr SG doesn’t seem to restore the timeline to the view that existed prior to delimiting the WAB with the open and closed brackets. Yes I can do all this manually, but it just seems like a time waster to restore the timeline to previous view.

Another question I am unable to find in the PDF PrEl12 manual or on muvipix forum: when and how often should I delete ‘rendered files’? I know I should but when I click to do so I get warning ‘are you sure’ so being unsure I cancel.

thanks again for help

• 14. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

PCNoviceMesa

The link to the Premiere Elements 12 Help PDF is

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

The link to the Elements Organizer 12 Help PDF is

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

We were aware that there is now a 12.1 Update for Premiere Elements 12 and Elements Organizer 12.

There will be no special Help PDF for either. And, nothing more than "stability and performance" was given for what

the 12.1 Update is supposed to be correcting in Premiere Elements 12. I did find that the Text Styles bug of version 12 is gone

in the 12.1 Update version.

When pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files pile up to the extent that the program's performance is suffering, then you delete then.

Preview files are the specific files pointed to under the "rendered files" to which you refer. Each time you render the Timeline to get the best possible preview, a preview video file is deposited on the hard drive. For SD projects (stills or videos), the preview is DV AVI. For HD project (stills or videos), the preview is MPEG2.mpeg file. If you want to get rid of them, then Timeline/Delete Rendered Files.

Consequence: if you need a rendered preview, you will need to render again (whole or partial Timeline content).

By default in Windows, see Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0/ and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder which contains these .avi or .mpeg files. (Note: that the .mpeg files have a companion file xml.)

The conformed audio files (.cfa and .pek) are in the Media Cache Folder in the 12.0 Folder mentioned above.

After deletion of these files, they will be generated automatically when and if the program needs them. You go to the Media Cache

Folder to delete these files.

The conformed video files (.mcdb) are best gotten to via Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database area there.

After deletion of these files, they will be generated automatically when and if the program needs them.

You click on the Clean button in the Media Cache Database area in the Preferences/Media to delete these files.

Please let us know if we have targeted your questions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

thanks for quick reply. how do I download to 12.1 of elements? On my ‘delete rendered files’ questions: can I delete all files that I have rendered, or only those for the projects  I am NOT currently working on? Some of  your explanations are unclear to me (e.g., ...if you need a rendered preview you will need to render again...), that is why I keep asking questions. You have all the expertise, and I am just learning.

thanks again...

• 16. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

Ok...having just practiced some more on time line markers here is what I think works for me:  when done editing within newly re-delimited WAB area, click ‘home’ to return CTI to beginning of movie and click ‘alt open bracket’, then click end to go to end of project and click ‘alt closed bracket’. Clicking ‘...that mark...’ does not restore WAB to entire project length, and clicking ‘backslash’ merely collapses the time line, requiring the home and end click fixes as described. if I am doing something wrong please let me know.

thanks again...

• 17. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

PCNoviceMesa

To download and install the Premiere Elements 12.1 Update, you go to an open project and use Help Menu/Update.

I wrote about that in the following. I will include a link to what I wrote on this. It has some screenshots included.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe12-update-121-released.html

Rendering the Timeline is done to get the best possible preview of what you have displaying in the Edit area playback

in the monitor. If the program decides that you have the best post preview, you will get no colored line over the Timeline content or

green line over the content. If the program decides that it is not giving you the best possible preview, then you will get an orange line over the content involved. And, when you press the Enter key or the Render button for those "orange line" situations, preview files will be generated. Each should contain the name of the project to which it is tied.

The point to get across is that we are talking about preview files. Rendering is not going to be a fix for problem in the project. It is just going to give a preview for you to use to decide if you have a problem after you are given the best possible preview the program can give.

OK, let us say, you rendered the Timeline and the content displays great in the Edit area monitor. The program created a preview file for it in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder. You decide that you are in trouble with program performance because you have a pile up of this type of file. Depending on how desparate you are for space, you can delete the preview files (rendered files) for the project that you are in with the Enter key or Timeline/Delete Rendered Files. For saved/closed projects, to get rid of preview files (rendered files), you go to the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder and delete preview files (rendered files) by project name.

You decide how much has to be deleted depending on how much free space you are trying to generate. There can be GB amounts (huge) of those previews eating up your computer hard drive space.

But, when you get back to the project that generated what you deleted, you will find the render indicator indicating the file(s) need rendering to get the best possible preview. The files on the Timeline have lost the preview files to which they trace back.

After this deletion, in the saved/closed/opened project "Do you need to render the content that you now find with orange line over it because you deleted preview files to save computer hard drive space?"  If you do no further edits of the content, you could consider leaving the content as is. Prior previewing (before the preview file deletion) showed you it was OK. That is up to you. If you need to be assured of a best possible preview, then you render. And consider, if you edit that specific content further, you will be forced to render to get the best possible preview of the here and now of the moment.

Please review and let me know if you are OK with the above. If not, I will approach all this from a different angle to get to the same end.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

PCNoticeMesa

Please check post 7 details and especially the details of recovery the original setting of the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar after you have moved them for selective render of the Timeline or selective export of a segment. The details are two different approaches to the same thing.

had suggested moving the Timeline Indicator to the start of the Timeline, holding down the Alt key as you hit the left bracket key [, followed by moving the Timeline Indicator to the end of the Timeline content, holding down the Alt key as you hit the right bracket key ].

Hunt is suggesting to get the same end result but by just double clicking that marking that I am pointing to with a red arrow to get the gray tabs to span the whole Timeline content again as shown in that next screenshot.

1. My suggestion using CTI position  and Alt+bracket keys, reset the gray tabs to the original positions that you know from before you moved the tabs from their original positions. This one has got to work because you are setting those tabs yourself at the start and end of the Timeline that you see before you.

2. Hunt's suggestion, just double click the "that mark" in the Work Area Bar.

I have tried that multiple times. All seem to be working as described. Maybe give that another look in a new project.

3. As for the \ , are you using that is a toggling way...one click of \ to expand, next click of \ to unexpand, and so on?

Is your \ key only giving you the unexpanded action?

Please let us know what is happening and we will think about this some more if we are not in sync on the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

Ok will check #7 again and practice some more. Now evidently I have completely forgotten how to clean up preview files. I have gone to edit}preferences}general} scratch discs and each of  6 options reports 697.6 GB. At media option, the  cache size is shown as 5GB, and when I click clean button nothing changes. When I go to ‘adobe premier elements auto save’ on my PC there are dozens of files listed. I can’t seem to delete them. I don’t know if I am at right location or not. I am doing this to follow recommendation to delete preview files, thinking that maybe the timeline problems I am having are related to build up of these files. I have looked at the PDF manual for PreELe12 many times and find nothing with step by step instructions for cleaning up files to keep things working smoothly. Gets frustrating having to send a note to you all the time. So again thanks for you help. Please give some advice on how to delete the preview files and I will keep; plugging along with timeline issues and other editing. thanks again...

• 20. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

BTW...I updated to 12.1. thanks...

• 21. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

PCNoviceMesa

Thanks for fhe follow ups.

Deleting the Preview Files. Preview files are also called rendered files.

a. If you have a project opened, you can delete all the rendered files for that specific project by clicking on Timeline Menu/Delete Rendered Files. When you do that, the actual files are deleted from Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0/Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Folder.

IMPORTANT. When you have a HD project and you render the Timeline content in it, if you use Timeline/Delete Rendered Files to delete the preview files from your opened project, that command will delete the MPEG2.mpeg preview file, but not its companion xmp file. To get rid of the .xmp leftovers, then you have to go directly to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0/Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Folder to do the clean up. If you are doing a SD project and use Timeline Menu/Delete Rendered Files, not to worry since here you get a DV AVI preview file and no companion .xmp file that you have to clear away directly in that Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder.

b. If you have saved/closed projects, then you need to go to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0/Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Folder/ and delete the preview (rendered) files that you find there.

In all of this, the major thought is never delete the source files that went into a project that you still want after it was saved/closed. That will get you into nuisance massive reconnecting media to project issues. If these source media went into more than one project, especially do not delete the source media since it will still be need for the remaining wanted project to trace back to.

The AutoSaves are in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0/Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSaves Folder. These are snapshots of the named project at different stages. You should be able to right click anyone of them or All and select Delete.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSA4213223-A072-483f-9A0A-B8A95742C2AE. html

I prefer to work with AutoSave turned Off in a project and just hit Save frequently.

We can discuss Saving a project more later if necessary.

The prime concern right now are pile ups of those preview (rendered) files which can build up quickly into GB+ amounts.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above and/or where you need supplemental clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

Ok... I believe you have given me similar help before so sorry for repeat of your work. The files I seem unable to delete are those in the ‘autosave’ folder in my Adobe premier elements folder. there are about 2 dozen and clicking delete does not seem to delete them. There are only about 4 files in the preview folder. thanks again...all confusing...

• 23. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

PCNoviceMesa

When you are trying to delete these AutoSaves and they will not delete, do you get any message from the computer as to why they are not deleting? And, when you are trying for these specific deletes, do you have Premiere Elements closed?

And just to make sure we are together on this, you will be deleting the AutoSaves files in the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder and not the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder itself.

If all else does not work out on deleting those AutoSaves, then shutdown your opened programs and restart the computer.

See if any of the above helps the situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 24. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

OK- I am still working on your suggestions. here are some screen shots to explain what I have been asking about with menu markers. #1 shows the clip that I want to mark. As you can see it has a big box to give it a name.#2 shows the name I have given. #3 shows I have called it a main menu marker. #4 demonstrates that when I go back to an earlier point in the timeline marker, and want to go to a menu marker forward in the timeline, the only choices I get are next or previous. There is no choice to search by the names given to the marker in the big ‘name’ box . Why ask for a ‘name’ of a marker when it can’t be retrieved? I can’t find anything that even allows me to find the names I have given to clips. I don’ get it? As I said, I thought at one time I stumbled onto a tab that allowed to search by names of markers but cannot find again. thanks and I will respond soon to your most recent reply. thanks again...

• 25. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

PCNoviceMesa

Your screeenshots did not get posted so I will work from your description of each.

1. Timeline clip to which you wanted to apply a menu marker

(The menu marker will be represented on the main menu page if you use a main menu marker (blue) OR on the scene menu page if you use a scene marker (green). So far you have not said which.

2. Does this show what you show and did in the Marker dialog that is associated with a specific marker at the CTI?

Marker.JPG

3. In your 3rd screenshot, did you actually designated "Main Menu Marker" in the Marker Type field or did you just name the marker that you were placing "Main Menu Marker". I asked since you said your "called it a menu menu marker" rather than you set a main menu marker.

There is no feature to summarize your total menu marker placement at the Timeline level.

When you create your movie menu in the movie menu section of the opened project, you can see the results of your Timeline menu marker placements.

a. Thumbnails tracing back to scene menu markers placed on the Timeline will appear in the scene selection page in the order that you placed them on the Timeline. Thumbnails tracing back to main menu markers placed on the Timeline will appear in the main menu page in the order that you placed them on the Timeline. But, remember that once the number of scenes exceeds the number of buttons per menu page, there will be spill over, and the program will generate copies of the lst page to accomodate the rest based on the number of main menu or scene menu buttons designed into the Adobe disc menu.

b. You can see the effect of your work in the Movie Menu Preview section.

Also, in the Movie Menu section, you will see a bin underneath of Movie Menu screen. It has all the pages generated, main and scene. When you want to see a page on in the screen, then click on the bin page that you want to bring up in the screen above. You should be able to double click your main and scene buttons in Movie Menu screen by double clicking them.

I am concerned about the scheme of your movie menu and your use of main menu marker. Please let me know what your intended plan is for the overall menus. If you do not know, then just tell me what you want to create menu wise for your viewer's navigation of the disc end product.

Please check out the above and then we can decide what supplemental information is needed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

OK...I will try and answer your 3 questions.

1) I guess I don’t even know where the ‘main menu page’ is. I do see difference of course of the blue versus green makers, but still  don’t understand difference in their editing efficiency function. 2) The second screen shot only  showed that I typed a ‘name’ (as requested for the big box titled ‘name’.) So I typed in a unique name, not the words ‘main menu maker’. 3) as I remember there is a box called ‘marker type’ with a menu to choose either ‘scene marker’ or ‘main menu marker’. In the pertinent screen shot, I am only showing that I chose ‘main menu marker’ rather than ‘scene marker’. In the box mentioned in my first screen shot, I gave the clip a unique name.

I guess I don’t know where the ‘movie menu section’ is of my movie. I also don’t understand much of what you are saying in a and b. A lot of jargon here, e.g., ... thumbnails tracing back to scene menu markers...?? I don’t know what that means.

I thought I was asking a fairly simple question. When you choose ‘set menu marker’ a big box appears asking you to ‘name’ the marker, big enough to allow a lot of words. My question is what is the usefulness of this, if after naming the marker (which is then designated along the timeline), you can’t ‘find’ the marker by the ‘name’ given to it. The only choices when going to a marker are ‘next’ or ‘previous’.

My intent with makers is of course to allow easy access to a point along my movie timeline, which I assume is why the program was built into the software. As I have said before, using ‘numbers’ only either requires a good memory of each number assigned to  each clip, or a written index as you assign numbers to each clip, if you want to immediately go a a point rather than clicking next..., next..., next..., next..., next..., or previous ....previous....till you find where you want to be.

I will just keep plugging along...I am just novice with all this anyway.

thanks again for your prompt replies from yourself, Mr. Hunt and Mr SG......

• 27. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

PCNoviceMesa

Let us stick to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc for this explanation and see if this helps.

When you do a burn to disc DVD, that disc can be played back with TV DVD player and/or computer player.

• If you do not put menus into the project and create what is called a AutoPlay disc, the disc will start the movie immediately when the disc is inserted into the player. The viewer does not have any control but to turn it on and off.
                                                              • If you do include disc menu, the movie opens to the disc menu, then the viewer has control over what is being shown.

As for disc menu, that comes in a set...main menu and scene menu. The main menu will display buttons for Play All and Scene Selection.

If the viewer selects Play All with the Remote, that viewer gets play all. If the viewer selects Scene Selection, the viewer switches from main menu being displayed to the scene menu "Scene Selection" page. At that point, the viewer decides which scene to look at or can press a button the the Scene Selection page to get back to the main menu for Play All.

Now how does all that relate to those Timeline markers (main menu marker, scene menu marker, and stop marker)?

Let us focus on scene marker. You want the viewer to go able to go to specific scenes in the Scene Selection page rather than Play All from the main menu. So, you place scene markers on the Timeline where you want the viewer to be able to go in the Scene Selection of the DVD produced. You place the scene marker at the Timeline level - first scene marker, second scene marker, third scene marker, and so on in order going from left to right in the Timeline content.

Now you need a menu that will takes it direction from where you have placed those markers and translate that into buttons action that the viewer will use to see what you want the viewer to be able to choose and see at end product playback. Keep the thought - scene markers go on a scene menu page and any main menu markers go on a main menu page.

But, you need a menu in conjunction with those scene markers. That is when you go to Tools Menu/Movie Menu and make your selection of menu theme. After you make your menu theme selection (comes with main menu and scene menu) and click Continue in this theme display area, you will then enter the Movie Menu customization area. The scene markers that you set at the Timeline level will now trace to the scene buttons in the scene menu page of the menu and will be put into those scene buttons in the order that you placed them when you were in the Timeline.

Important: Once you finish with the menu customization, you can Preview what you have to assure that the navigation buttons (main menu - Play All and Scene Selection buttons and scene menu - scene buttons) are working. Click Done when finished. That is the last that you will see of the disc menus until after you or the viewer views the DVD on the TV DVD player or computer player.

There are other considerations and details associated with it, but we need to make sure that we are in sync with the above before moving further and deeper into this.

Miscellaneous

1. Although the Marker dialog for each marker gives you a large space to enter a scene name, you are limited to the number of words you can put in there to describe the scene. Sure, you can fit a lot in the Marker dialog, but, when you go to see what that looks like in the disc menu customization area and Preview, you are going to be in a space problem. Keep the button names short.

2. You are not confined to next and previous to explore a button already named. You can double click an individual scene marker to bring up its Marker dialog.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above and not OK. If not OK, please let me know where we need more work.

Thanks.

ATR

• 28. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

OK. Yes. Your explanation now begins to make overall sense. I had completely forgot about the viewer of the video and having the  ability to navigate rather than just ‘play all’.Your discussion now of markers makes more sense. So markers can help during editing but they are more designed to help the viewer of the final disc. This should be included in some introductory session or tutorial for those beginners like me that don’t think of final output of the product. Your #1 and #2 also make sense so will try more practice.

Thanks again...!

• 29. Re: time line markers, work bar adjustments,opacity

PCNoticeMesa

I do not want to get you off course, but I will leave the following reference for you to check out after you are OK on menu markers.

The following relates to unnumbered markers which can be placed on the Timeline for:

Leaving yourself notes where the unnumbered markers are placed on the Timeline content

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-forget-me-not-clip-details-and.html

Thanks for the good news that we are doing better getting in sync. As I always say, if we are not in sync, and I will clarify.

ATR