6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 12:08 PM by SJRiegel

Proper way to format documents or easy way to fix this?

Buddygurl

I am a beginner in regards to using InDesign to format documents. So far I've had really good success and figuring out how to do things but I've come across a situation that seems way too time consuming to fix. Either I need a different approach in how to create a document or maybe there is an easy way to fix this.

I have a multi-page document with different topics, photos, graphs, etc. I've set up multiple text boxes for each topic and placed photos in their own containers.

I need to add about a half page of content to the 2nd page of the document. However... you can't just "press enter" like you would in Word and have everything move down. Do I have to actually move it all manually myself? It makes it even more difficult by the fact I only have half a page of content to insert, so everything that follows will also need to be separated to maintain consistency.

It wouldn't be much of a big deal if I was inserting an entire page of content because I could just insert a page then.

So... is there an easy way to fix that? Or maybe I should be following a better practice in creating such a document?

• 1. Re: Proper way to format documents or easy way to fix this?
          smellboss Level 1

Pressing Enter or Return won't move graphics down unless they're inline graphics (part of the text flow). I have very little experience with Word; for all I know that's the only way graphics are imported into that program.

• 2. Re: Proper way to format documents or easy way to fix this?
            Buddygurl Level 1

I know they won't.  And I'm not importing from Word either.

I was asking if there is a better "proper" way of setting up your pages in InDesign, so that anytime you want to insert something on page 2 or 3 it affects all the subsequent pages thereafter without having to manual move everything myself.

• 3. Re: Proper way to format documents or easy way to fix this?
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are multiple ways to do it, and you must make decisions among them depending upon the nature of your content and anticipated editing scenarios.

As you've found, you can make each text frame, image frame, and object a discreet, stand-alone item, in which case you'll have the burden and control of moving them along manually as content and layout changes occur.

It's also possible to set up a document with full-page text frames in which all content flows with the text because you've achored each object in the text flow.

A document does not have to be 100% one way or the other. It's possible to mix both styles in a document, or even on the same page.

Again, these are "design decisions" that are made with an eye toward forward functionality. There is no right or wrong outside of that context.

• 4. Re: Proper way to format documents or easy way to fix this?
                SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you need your text to flow as you describe, then you should have just one text container per page, and have each one linked to the one on the following page throughout the doucment. Then add all graphics in-line so they will flow with the text.

If your documents receive frequent changes after the layout is started this will help with reflowing, but it will somewhat limit your layout options.

If you will post a screen shot of a couple of your pages, we may be able to give you further advice on how to proceed.

• 5. Re: Proper way to format documents or easy way to fix this?
                  Buddygurl Level 1

John/Riegel, your responses make sense to me.  And I understand what you are speaking about.

Basically I would create a text frame that fill the entire area I want text to appear, then continue this same frame on each subsequent page. 

Adding inline photos... is that merely just dropping a photo into a text frame?  I have some photos that need to be extend past the text frame though, wouldn't they crop then? 

You can also see below the titles are background'd by that blue border. 

temp.jpg

I figure its just a way I need to be doing this vs. the program not functioning right.  I appreciate everyone's response.

• 6. Re: Proper way to format documents or easy way to fix this?
                    SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It will take some setting up, but what you show can be set as a continuous-flow document. Your headlines will have to be in text boxes of their own, but the whole text box can be anchored to your text flow. The same goes for any graphics that are in the side bar.

The boarder behind the titles can be acomplished with a paragraph rule - just make sure to set it to overprint in the rule dialog box. Like this:

Screen shot 2014-03-05 at 3.03.05 PM.png

You won't see the overprint unless you show separations, but it will be there.